Thread: 2010 Camaro L99 6.2L Turbo, bosch 210lb, having trouble with running conditions.

Tuner in Training

2010 Camaro L99 6.2L Turbo, bosch 210lb, having trouble with running conditions.

This is my first go into tuning, hptuners and vcm editor. I could use quite a bit of help trying to get this car moving under it's own power. As of now it starts and idles poorly, runs very rich. Let's start with the car.

bosch 210lb injectors at 58psi return
    Twin Walbro 450 pumps one on a Hobb's switch
    Single VS Racing 7875 turbo
    Rebuilt 6L80E by me with upgraded internals from Sonnax
    AEM UEGO wideband
    Turbosmart e-boost controller
    3" stainless exhaust
    Dual catch cans
    .660" BTR dual valve springs
    MAF deleted, tuning in SD

Shooting for 750whp on e85. This car is owned by my boss, I've been keeping busy on it the past couple of months during slow times. Everything has been fun until trying to get these stupidly large injectors to play nice.

MAF is failed, proper injector data from ID2000's is used and I haven't changed much but half IFR/double stoich. Check out the tune and log and I'd sure appreciate some direction or advice to move forward.

Cheers

babybatter.hpt
    bdedKWJDN.hpl

Senior Tuner
    Are you going to start with E85 right away or pump gas?
    Are you sure you want to go with SD? A MAF tune would be pretty straight forward. Have you physically eliminated the MAF?
    I noticed you haven't applied the SD 2 Bar OS yet. Were you planning on that route?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Advanced Tuner
    i run maf only - way easier - but if your going to run speed density mode id rec you upgrade to the 2 bar os to get a true ve chart rather than dealing with the vve charts and coefficients - itll be so much easier to tune. but running that large of injectors your going to have to pull quite a bit of fuel plus with running e-85 the vehicle uses 30% more fuel just because of that. id say bump up the idle 150-200 rpm and your going to have to work on getting your idle airflow and airflow model (ve) in line like i said before i run maf only but if you want speed density which is fine - do yourself a favor and upgrade the os to a 2 bar os
    Last edited by TCSS07; 11-14-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    A fellow slop I see. As someone else said if you're not running 2 bar or something of the nature I would switch to that first. Or you can try lowering the pulsewidth limit. I don't have vcm installed right now. I'll check it out and see.

Senior Tuner
    i was running the bosch 210lb for a couple years scaled to suit and they were fine but also massive and over kill for 750rhp u will only see maby 45-50% duty max and i was using them at 43.5psi line pressure so u may not even see 40% duty, on E85 they should idle fine, also did u half the IVT terms ?
    Last edited by 07GTS; 11-15-2018 at 02:51 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopsy View Post
    As of now it starts and idles poorly, runs very rich.

Shooting for 750whp on e85.
    Running very rich with E85 may be disastrous for your engine bearings.

I would have started with basic gasoline first.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Are you going to start with E85 right away or pump gas?
    Are you sure you want to go with SD? A MAF tune would be pretty straight forward. Have you physically eliminated the MAF?
    I noticed you haven't applied the SD 2 Bar OS yet. Were you planning on that route?
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    Just applied it. Oopsies! I've started over a few times new from my stock file and must have overlooked that one.

Quote Originally Posted by TCSS07 View Post
    i run maf only - way easier - but if your going to run speed density mode id rec you upgrade to the 2 bar os to get a true ve chart rather than dealing with the vve charts and coefficients - itll be so much easier to tune. but running that large of injectors your going to have to pull quite a bit of fuel plus with running e-85 the vehicle uses 30% more fuel just because of that. id say bump up the idle 150-200 rpm and your going to have to work on getting your idle airflow and airflow model (ve) in line like i said before i run maf only but if you want speed density which is fine - do yourself a favor and upgrade the os to a 2 bar os
    MAF has been deleted and I haven't ever been a fan of recirc/compressor bypass valves. Venting to atmo with no MAF just seemed easier to me but I guess not. This is my first SD job.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomEnthusiast View Post
    A fellow slop I see. As someone else said if you're not running 2 bar or something of the nature I would switch to that first. Or you can try lowering the pulsewidth limit. I don't have vcm installed right now. I'll check it out and see.
    I'm a recovering DSM/Volvo guy so yeah dude sloppy and ratty. Tried Dropping pulsewidth min limit and even cutting the injector vs pressure delta vs volts since that is added to injector pulsewidth. I was trying to see if I could get my injector pulsewidth average down below .5ms at idle but no dice. Something else is keeping it up, I'm not sure what all is used in determining idle pulses other than offsets and SPA.

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    i was running the bosch 210lb for a couple years scaled to suit and they were fine but also massive and over kill for 750rhp u will only see maby 45-50% duty max and i was using them at 43.5psi line pressure so u may not even see 40% duty, on E85 they should idle fine, also did u half the IVT terms ?
    These parts are not my first choice, I put up a fight but there are two sets here with a L99 car and a 67 Camaro LS3 getting the same treatment. The 67 is now caged, subframe connected, mini tubbed and an aspiring show car in race clothing. I'd like to see it push out silly numbers with no real project goals or budget so far.

IVT terms have not been modified. Which need modified?

Under Fuel > General > IVT terms
    I see AFR Terms
    Under Fuel > Open Loop > Open Loop Gains
    I see IVT Gain Gas, Airflow Gain, InjTemp Gain, AIR Enrich, AIR Gain, AIR Airflow Gain

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles View Post
    Running very rich with E85 may be disastrous for your engine bearings.

I would have started with basic gasoline first.
    Starting with basic gasoline first here. I've installed a flex fuel senor on the return line but have it disabled and unplugged until this gets further along.

Pretty steep learning curve on this project. Thanks for replies
    Last edited by Poopsy; 11-15-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    You might just have to fudge the short pulse limit and adder to see if you can get the pw down.

Advanced Tuner
    Also check the min final/idle airflow. Might need to lower it.

Senior Tuner
    [ecm12560] if u doubled stoich then halve this number, if u can run fuel pressure at 43.5psi that would help alot, when i was using mine i was at your IPW but using ethanol so petrol needs even less so lowering the fuel pressure may help u get there cos those PW numbers get super low, i assume u are using a vac/boost referenced fuel reg ?

Senior Tuner
    just a heads up too the bosch 210lb injectors dont like sitting around with ethanol in them they are not designed to use ethanol and if they sit for too long will have issues, its one of the reasons i got rid of them so if its a show car and wont be driven might be best to let it idle and turn the fuel pump off and clear out any fuel in the lines as much as u can