Thread: NN or VE for me

Tuner in Training

NN or VE for me

Trying to choose a direction to start. New to all this so started reading every thing from the beginning on this Forum. Plan is tuning for bracket racing on a budget so;traction, consistency, reaction time, and above all else engine preservation. I?m interested in opinions of which tuning strategy will best suit my application. Will NN enabled out perform setting up custom VE tables? Looking at this from a predictability stand point. Seems to me VE will more maximize output and efficiency but with NN using a multitude of parameters will it be more predictable with changes in operating temps and atmospheric conditions? I have read through to page 50 in the forum and have found little discussion of actual racing stuff, just the ?how fast will this thing go? stuff. Honestly I?ve been impressed with the stock tune,but have some problems ,an issue,and room for improvement. Gotta start somewhere!
    2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker A8-oem stock

Quote Originally Posted by motherducker View Post
    Trying to choose a direction to start. New to all this so started reading every thing from the beginning on this Forum. Plan is tuning for bracket racing on a budget so;traction, consistency, reaction time, and above all else engine preservation. I?m interested in opinions of which tuning strategy will best suit my application. Will NN enabled out perform setting up custom VE tables? Looking at this from a predictability stand point. Seems to me VE will more maximize output and efficiency but with NN using a multitude of parameters will it be more predictable with changes in operating temps and atmospheric conditions? I have read through to page 50 in the forum and have found little discussion of actual racing stuff, just the ?how fast will this thing go? stuff. Honestly I?ve been impressed with the stock tune,but have some problems ,an issue,and room for improvement. Gotta start somewhere!
    To me, it all boils down to this.... if you don't have or will not get a wideband, then simply dial in your injectors at PT using a STFT + LTFT histogram. Then, get on a load based dyno and do the best you can with your WOT fueling. It would be better to add additional break points (resolution) in the pulse width / fuel mass tables instead of jacking the PE up / down.

If you are willing to get a wideband, then I definitely recommend that you turn ANN off. However, it will take a lot of test driving to really dial in the VE tables. Personally, I would recommend a wideband for each bank or at the very least.... move the sensor from bank 1 to bank 2 and tune both tables. There is a fair amount of difference between my VE tables and my car runs better with both tables tuned instead of just copying bank 1 to bank 2.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks ken&jen, was planning on a wide band. Want to research if hellcat wide band will integrate over to scat pack? Be nice not to do a bunch of wiring. All variation in my runs are on the short end, so rethinking my thread, maybe a better way to say is on launch would you have more control over detuning for traction, adjusting for reaction time of car, and predictability with vehicle temps & atmospheric changes in ANN or dialing VE?

Advanced Tuner
    Way easier to just get an aftermarket unit and connect it to the MPVI.

Tuner in Training
    Have MPVI 2 and saw the obd2 port tie in from aem. Thanks for reply Homer, after thinking about it my performance pages takes soooo long to boot don’t think I could use it for cold start any way, not sure when scanner would start logging that even if I could make it work. I “see” the o2s3b1 disabled in my stock tune, if it was as simple as turn this on ,plug Oem sensor to harness , weld bung I think I would do that.