Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 95mm LT5 Throttle body max area?

Tuner

95mm LT5 Throttle body max area?

Does anyone know the correct throttle max area size for the 95mm under Throttle area limits in HPTuners?

Senior Tuner
    If you ratio the area based on our stock 87 mm tb then I come out with 6218. That's calculating the area of our 87 and subtracting the value in the file. Then subtracting the same difference value from the area of the 95 mm.
    Last edited by 8850; 11-20-2018 at 05:35 PM.

the same size throttle bodies can have different values depending on what car they came in..... there's either a hidden table(s) that do math on the scalar or different programmers use different numbers and bake in the difference elsewhere or the different numbers account for different motor/resistance/etc.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    the same size throttle bodies can have different values depending on what car they came in..... there's either a hidden table(s) that do math on the scalar or different programmers use different numbers and bake in the difference elsewhere or the different numbers account for different motor/resistance/etc.
    2016 Camaro lt1 2ss

What does the zr1 tune say?

Quote Originally Posted by nicul15 View Post
    no access to E99 ecm

Tuner
    I already thought about that but no stock tunes available.

Are you just looking to input a correct value? Or are you looking to improve any effects of the 95mm swap?

Tuner
    Are you just looking to input a correct value? Or are you looking to improve any effects of the 95mm swap?
    I'm looking for both. Since installing it I seem to have negative or very low timing at idle along with lower speeds. I'm just seeing what others have seen with this swap.

I just purchased a 95mm TB and it currently is a poor option. Yes you might pick up a few HP up top but if you get into the tuning side of things it really upsets the apple cart. The ETC scalar is not adequate to make this TB work well. Throttle desired air flow is way off and it will cause very bad torque management issues. There is no proper correction given the currently exposed tables and parameters that I can see.
    Last edited by EFI Tuning; 11-21-2018 at 07:01 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post
    I just purchased a 95mm TB and it currently is a poor option. Yes you might pick up a few HP up top but if you get into the tuning side of things it really upsets the apple cart. The ETC scalar is not adequate to make this TB work well. Throttle desired air flow is way off and it will cause very bad torque management issues. There is no proper correction given the currently exposed tables and parameters that I can see.
    If that is the case then why are there so many people using this and getting great results? Would you suggest a 103mm instead? Are you running HPT beta?

Don?t confuse a few extra WOT ponies with great results. Most aren?t really looking at what is going on at the ECM. The part throttle behavior is not good. I can supply logs for anyone that doubts me.

Tuner
    I only seem to have issues with the idle and low speed. It could be an issue with the new tb not being matched to the ecm. But partial and highway cruising I don't seem to have any issues. I was just looking to see what people were using for area. There are other areas that need to be adjusted to compensate for the larger airflow than just the max area. I can't seem to upload a log file. It lets me upload it but it doesn't show up to drag it over.

i run the 103 and it's really tough nailing down a steady idle and catching idle from clutch in. i have it pretty solid but it's not known for "stock like" driveability in this respect. haven't tuned a 95 yet but I have no doubt it's the same situation. Fords are also a bitch to tune with all the torque based stuff.

when we had idle airflow tables was cake.

My VVE and VTQ tables have been dialed in. Desired TB flow and map are very close to actual with the 87mm. As soon as the 95mm goes on it causes the midrange part throttle desired to metrics to be drastically off from actual. Predicted torque is shooting through the roof even at part throttle causing the ECM to get extreme on pulling timing during shifts. It feels like it?s the throttle opening and closing but it?s only timing. Its the desired parameters that are off. You can?t correct this with VVE or VTQ. I believe there are additional TB parameters that aren?t exposed or the control and verification signals don?t match watch the ECM expect. Scalar is about useless.

Efi is that for a ported or stock 95mm?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post
    Don?t confuse a few extra WOT ponies with great results. Most aren?t really looking at what is going on at the ECM. The part throttle behavior is not good. I can supply logs for anyone that doubts me.
    I'd like to see what you're observing. Any possibility you got a dud unit that's corrupting your observations?

I have figured out how to have it idle with stock timing and drive correctly with out weird issues on a 2017 zl1. I get zero timing being pulled on the shifts and I am at around 14 degrees of timing at idle. I do have a few things to work out still as I play with it but so far pretty damn good. As of now there is 2019 zr1 values to be seen out there and I would like to see a tune to compare a few things that I changed on mine that worked and like to see some stock values. One thing I do know is going up too far on that max throttle value just makes it worse so I use near stock in that table. As for the power its been proven on the dyno more then once now that a ported 95mm is better then a 103mm for power too. So the 165 dollar tb is a great value when comes to making 25 more whp on a boosted car. I even saw a ported blower setup on a 2016 z06 running the 87 still swap to the 95 and pick up 47whp with the ported blower. So its not just a few hp being picked up here and well worth the work to make it drive good.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Quote Originally Posted by lt1z350 View Post
    I have figured out how to have it idle with stock timing and drive correctly with out weird issues on a 2017 zl1. I get zero timing being pulled on the shifts and I am at around 14 degrees of timing at idle. I do have a few things to work out still as I play with it but so far pretty damn good. As of now there is 2019 zr1 values to be seen out there and I would like to see a tune to compare a few things that I changed on mine that worked and like to see some stock values. One thing I do know is going up too far on that max throttle value just makes it worse so I use near stock in that table. As for the power its been proven on the dyno more then once now that a ported 95mm is better then a 103mm for power too. So the 165 dollar tb is a great value when comes to making 25 more whp on a boosted car. I even saw a ported blower setup on a 2016 z06 running the 87 still swap to the 95 and pick up 47whp with the ported blower. So its not just a few hp being picked up here and well worth the work to make it drive good.
    I have the LT5 throttle body on my 2018 SS with LT4 s/c and fueling. I have stock dd, stock virt tq, stock timing values at idle, and it lays down power no problem. The 95mm did put down a little over 30whp more power than the stock 87mm - so it is a good replacement choice. max area 5,054
    2018 Camaro SS, LT4 Fuel System, LT4 S/C
    2020 Ford Edge ST
    1999 Pontiac Firehawk
    1987 Chevy Caprice, 6.0L TT 4L80 AWD
    ***Only AWD box chevy in the world***
    Next Level Tuning and Performance
    Tuning email: [email protected]

Is your tb ported?
    Last edited by nicul15; 08-16-2019 at 01:35 PM.