Thread: Open Loop Tuning Question - Injectors vs VE Tables

Open Loop Tuning Question - Injectors vs VE Tables

I switched the tune to OL this morning and relocated both widebands to the longtube collectors.

So far... I'm kicking myself for not doing this months ago.

Right now... I'm using the ID plug and play PWs and Fuel Mass data.

I'm only tuning the VE tables.

Do you guys consider this to be the "right' way? It is working great and it took about 1 hour to dial in both banks from idle to 3,600 rpms.

I already had WOT dialed in, so I doubt it will need much.

I enabled sensed MAP and the car no longer dips down to 0.15 PRATIO during decel. Lowest I see now is 0.25, which is easier to tune.

If I can only tune VE.... it will make life so easy!

With my cam, I'm tuning idle slightly rich... around 0.97 lambda and I'm tuning PT still around 1.0.

I may lean PT back to 1.05 going forward.

I still have Baro learn enabled since I'm NA and close to sea level.

I know it will take a while to get the temp multipliers really good so the tune stays consistent from winter to summer.

I may end up running a summer and winter tune and adjusting as needed until I figure it all out.

Senior Tuner
    Anytime I tune a mid to large cam, I usually start in open loop. Only time I don't is when the car doesn't have a wideband (which i usually walk away from) or I am dealing with new injectors I haven't tuned yet, which could result in the tune being really far off and washing down the cylinders on a new motor. No Bueno.

Tuning in open loop helps rule out mechanical issues. Too many tuners when dealing with a surging dying cammed car quickly resort to telling the customer they have a mechanical issue like a faulty throttle body, leaking intake gasket, vacuum leak, etc etc. Put it in open loop and if it idles correctly, then it is all fueling and VE tuning (i.e. your tuner aint that great).

Tuner in Training
    Hmmm I never tried to tune in OL other than Wot . CL always worked for me .

Tuner
    06300CSRT8 is correct especially with large cams and low vacuum where the ecu will start chasing its tail trying keep fueling in check. Keeping it in OL will keep the ecu out of the fuel equation so you canwork on airflow, timing, etc..