Thread: 2004.5 Pilot Injection (New to diesel tuning)

Tuner

2004.5 Pilot Injection (New to diesel tuning)

As the title states, I'm new to diesel tuning. I have a 2004.5 basically stock, it has a Fass lift pump, Superior shift kit, K&N intake, and exhaust. Ive been making good improvements to my tune by reading on here and taking it slow. One thing im having a hard time understanding is the pilot timing. Most example tunes ive looked at have a max of around 25 degrees, and everything ive read says something like 35 degrees max timing. I haven't touched anything with the pilot injection in my tune and in my stock table has a better part of it covered with 30 degrees up to 57 degrees. Ill attach my current tune, id really like to get a grasp on pilot timing so I can stop worrying im going to grenade the poor 5.9! Also, any input on my tune in general would be greatly appreciated, it smokes a bit with light acceleration (I was going to play with the smoke limiter table), but runs great and pulls hard up top. Thinking about adding more duration but not exactly sure how much is safe and id like to get the pilot timing figured out. Happy Turkey day! Tune6.hpt

Banned
    Happy turkey day! With a stock truck I wouldn?t worry about stock pilot grenading the engine. Pilot is used to control the ignition delay of the main injection and ?soften? the cylinder pressure spikes when the main injection ignites to produce a quieter running engine, won?t have the knock the old 12 valve and VP trucks have. It can play a role in mpg and throttle/turbo response as well.

When you are looking at the pilot timing tables, those timing values are targeted crank degrees before the main injection event for when to start the pilot event. If a correction table is coming into play that will alter the final pilot timing target.

Myself I lower pilot quantity some on a stock or relatively stock truck with a large drop in pilot timing, larger injectors I reduce pilot quantity further. The upper region, like 120mm3 and above and 2600rpm and above the pilot has so little affect you can just shut it off by changing those pilot quantity cell values to zero.

Tuner
    Thank you! Enough info to get me going in the right direction but you're not handing me a pilot table. That's part of the fun I have with tuning, I get to experiment and figure out what works and what doesn't. Id like to throw the truck on a dyno just for fun, runs just as hard if not better than when I had an Edge CS on it, and gets 2-3 mpg better so far!
    2004.5, built 48re, Fass lift pump, s364.5 with a s483 compounds, ARP studs, 103# valve springs, 110hp injectors, 669hp 1075ftlbs

Banned
    Tables used are transient and high air density, more often than not high air density is the table in use. I?ve seen it switch to low air density during idle and be on low air density during and after startup. Different tables you don?t have access to without user defined parameters are used during cranking though.