Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No shift

Tuner

No shift

Hello i was having this problem where the transmission isn't shifting past 2nd at WOT i have the speed right and the rpm right and even the fuel cutoff not sure whats causing this. The trans temp sensor doesn't seem to be reading right any ideas thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Crysis; 11-23-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I'm assuming you're attempting to tune Speed density since the MAF fail is set to Zero? If so the MIL needs to be set to MIL on 1st error. Not saying that totally is all of your problem but I've seen the do some really funky things like that when the MAF is not reporting correctly. If you're not aiming for SD then set it up around 11k to 12k for fail frequency.

Tuner
    Oh yeah i set it to first and yeah its a boosted 5.3 motor 4l80e cammed

Tuner
    Is it only doing this at WOT? Is it shifting fine at other times? You can see the solenoids changing state - are you seeing no corresponding shift from the trans? I'd add commanded gear and TC lockup to what's monitor.

In your tune, under WOT shift, the 2-3 is set to 73, you're not above 73 for very long. You can see the solenoid change, but I wonder if it has enough time to actually shift?
    Last edited by workingdog; 11-24-2018 at 10:40 AM.
    Peter Young

1966 LandCruiser FJ40 with 6.0l Gen 3 vortec and 4L80E.
    1984 LandCruiser FJ60 with 5.3l Gen 3 vortec, Magnusen supercharger, and 4L60E

Just in case....try lowering your 2-3 shift speed by 10 mph or more on both your WOT table and your 100% of your Part throttle table. You don't have to leave it that way but lots of us on here have had similar issues as the GEN3 rigs seem to need a bit of lead time after it reaches the required MPH to make the shift. It is worth a try.

But I should mention that the -38 degrees indicated by the trans temp indicates a bad connection. They are usually between -38 and -40 when disconnected. When it does make contact and end up showing 235+ I kinda believe it as the coolant temps are only about 14 degrees less. Even a tough 4L80E does not live long at 235+. At any rate there is a contact issue with your trans temp sensor so there could also be a contact issue with the solenoid or something of the sort.

Tuner
    Oh ok ill try lowering it and see what it does, i wonder why its shifting early though around 5400 rpm and yeah only at WOT, ill try unplugging the main connector and see if i see anything

Tuner
    no luck

Tuner
    Any one? heres another one

Under shift scheduling>part throttle shift>normal,performance,etc. Where you lowered upshift speed 1>2 you left downshift speed for 2>1 higher in 94% and 100%. That will freak it out commanding opposing changes. Same thing for 3>2 from 87%-100%. Downshift speed has to be below upshift speed.

Same in full throttle shift speed.

Tuner
    Just tried that and still doing it i wonder what else? The tranny was good is there something else i should try

If I understand correctly in the beginning it was not shifting to 3rd at full throttle. Later, after some changes it was shifting too early/low RPM. Is that right? Can you please explain what it is doing and post the tune with the revised shift speeds?

Tuner
    Cyrsis - the forum can't help much without more information.
    Peter Young

1966 LandCruiser FJ40 with 6.0l Gen 3 vortec and 4L80E.
    1984 LandCruiser FJ60 with 5.3l Gen 3 vortec, Magnusen supercharger, and 4L60E

Tuner
    Ok yeah what its doing its shifting all normal part throttle and cruising but WOT it shifts 1-2 early and doesn't 2-3 it hits like a rev limiter but it has a 3rd gear if i speed up i can do pulls from 3rd gear i have this data log that shows that
    Last edited by Crysis; 11-25-2018 at 08:01 PM.

Sounds frustrating. Well when I know that I have one connection issue that leads me to think that other issues might be related so I resolve the issue that I clearly have. You clearly have a connection issue with the trans temperature sensor. If you resolve that, you might resolve the more annoying issue nearby. 4L80E are known for the pass-through connector. Maybe the pins don't have enough spring tension to grip their mate well...temp goes up and the spring grips a bit better, temperature shows up? Likewise, maybe the pin for 2-3 does not hold well enough to transmit enough during the more intense vibrations of a full throttle run but works fine at light throttle?

Maybe you can ignore all that...
    Maybe I missed other places where the 2>3 issue happened. I saw several places where a 1>2 shift happened early and a few that happened above 6k. I finally see a place where the 2>3 shift at full throttle is never reached because the fuel gets cut (18-11-24 19-25-37 at 07:23:19-20). Injector duty and pulsewidth drop at WOT. Under Engine>Airflow>Dynamic>Dynamic Airflow>High RPM Disable is stock 4k. The way I understand it this tells the ECM to quit taking advice from the MAP at 4k and look to the MAF which cannot possibly give good info in your SD case. As you appear to be running SD I'd raise that way up. Maybe that is the big issue at the top of 2nd.

Also, not a big deal but the shift light has gear ratio info that does not jive. The good ol 4L80E had a 2.48:1 1st, a 1.48:1 2nd, 1:1 3rd if memory serves. Don't remember 4th. Suppose it does not matter at all though.

Tuner
    Look at this one with more pids

Tuner
    Ok i looked at the pin outs and all the pins "look" ok are you taking about the ones in the pan? And i have dynamic airflow disabled so im not sure why it had those fuel drops i noticed that as well

3:26:55 in 2nd and 3:27:01.5 in 3rd run low on fuel even though pulsewidth and ms are still holding. Both times the injector pulsewidth reduces right after the O2 sensors show the fuel drop off though still at full throttle. Not clear why the pulsewidth reduces at full throttle. This is obviously commanded by the PCM. But the fuel dropping off before the pulsewidth drops looks more like a supply issue......if the order of events is being reported truly.

As far as the wiring you have a whole circuit to check. You know that a wire leaves the PCM and goes through some connectors to the temp sensor then all the way back to the PCM. Of course we check problem areas first but we have to check everything until the answer is found. That is the only way. Bad connector on the actual sensor? Would not be the first time. You can pull the pan and log trans temp while moving wires a bit. It should not take too long to find the problem.
    Last edited by IARLLC; 11-27-2018 at 12:28 AM.

Tuner
    Ok the car doesn't have a fuel sender but i checked and was low on fuel only had one gallon maybe this is why for the fuel drops? Im still really confused about the shifting tho not sure what to do maybe its even the tranny at this point lol if i try manual shifting it holds first gear but still does the rev limiter in 2nd ill take off the oil pan and and check all the wiring

Tuner
    Does anyone know a way to make it hold 2nd gear with manual shifting??? I wouldn't mind doing that at WOT only since it shifts normal part throttle
    Last edited by Crysis; 11-27-2018 at 04:55 PM.

Your early 1>2 shift has me scratching my head. I remember seeing at least 1 6000RPM+ 1>2 in one of your logs though unless that time you had held it in first

Your 2>3 issue is just fuel related. The rpm does not go high enough to get the full throttle shift. To test this theory you could lower your 2>3 full throttle shift RPM to 5k or so and give it a run. If it shifts OK that proves your trans is not the 2>3 issue.

For the fuel thing I would still try raising Engine>Airflow>Dynamic>Dynamic Airflow>High RPM Disable to 7k. Even if dynamic is already disabled. Might be worth the try.