Thread: limp mode with aftermarket turbo

Advanced Tuner

limp mode with aftermarket turbo

I have a swapped Duramax with a limp mode issue. Aftermarket turbo. Tried deleting all of the vane codes and still no luck. If I hold my foot to the floor and delete codes at the same time, it will rev, but then fall back to 2k...

Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

Tuner in Training
    What's the codes? MAF will derate you also.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jbauto View Post
    What's the codes? MAF will derate you also.
    Obviously the engine is far from stock so i've deleted things like EGR and etc and no codes show up. I go through and enable every code and other than the EGR codes, there is only one code that might cause the issue - p0045 i think it is. IIRC it has to do with the vanes in the stock turbo.

I tried with the MAF unplugged, because logging and revving I felt it is probably bad - just wasn't seeing the readings I think there should be. Did not help.

...It might not even be limp mode. I'm at a loss at what might be causing it.

Tuner in Training
    If you want to upload your tune I'll have a look and see if I spot anything abnormal.

Advanced Tuner
    dmax tune.hpt
    i think i did it right?

Tuner in Training
    Pop this in and see if it changes anything. PM me if it doesn't and I'll try to help more.

dmax tune(test).hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jbauto View Post
    Pop this in and see if it changes anything. PM me if it doesn't and I'll try to help more.

dmax tune(test).hpt
    Sorry for the delay, but I finally got the truck back in today. Popped it in, and still does it. Any other ideas? I reset the codes in the scanner and it will rev for a few seconds then fall back down. I say codes, but there aren't any listed. If there were, it could at least point me in a direction...

Advanced Tuner
    Any more ideas? Put a new MAF in it today and while it seemed to make it run better, it didn't resolve the issue. MAF wasn't reading before, but now it is.

Advanced Tuner
    Would the injector flow rates have anything to do with it? The customer doesn't have flow info (he thinks they are 30%?), or I would have already plugged that long number in with a Tech2.

Not positive on the flow rates, but don't think so>
    I installed some 30% oversize in an LB7 (with an aftermarket turbo) and it ran just fine without modification. It smoked/hazed at idle and when you stomped it.
    This truck went into limp mode a week later but it was Trans slip. We adjusted his TQ. Mgt. until he can get a trans.
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Can you scan and see what is "Torque Limiting" or "Fuel limiting" ??
    In my 03 Cummins they have "Master Fuel Correction" and "Final timing Correction"
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    Can you scan and see what is "Torque Limiting" or "Fuel limiting" ??
    In my 03 Cummins they have "Master Fuel Correction" and "Final timing Correction"
    I don't see where to do that with HP. I've tried looking. Any ideas where it might be and i'll look closer? Only thing I see under 'torque management' is calculated load. I know fuel rail pressure doesn't change.

I don't have a channels list for the D-Max...
    Maybe someone else will have an idea