Thread: Let's talk Ignition!

Tuner in Training

Let's talk Ignition!

Hey All,

Digging into a bolt on 370z, headers, intakes, downpipes.

Wanted to get some clarification on the timing tables we see. Is there a way to view which "MBT Mode" is currently being used? Does it matter? Coming from ecoboosts where the timing strategy is complicated, but we have an easy way to identify which is being utilized. Does the car use the LOW det ignition tables at WOT until KR is heard and then shift to hi det?

Ignition timing.PNG

Also,
    RPM????? axis on open loop target lambda? what's the deal?

Fuel.PNG

Lastly, we have tables for VVEL duration at WOT, but nothing to change the VTC angle. Will this be supported? If not, can VTC angle be manipulated by changing VVEL duration?

Advanced Tuner
    I am assuming you are talking about the intake cam phasing angle vs the VVEL angle. VVEL angle is what adjust the VVEL duration. Never have seen it expressed as duration. I know that the cam phasing is handled automatically in response to the VVEL angle. If you were to alter the VVEL and Cam Phasing separately you could easily introduce valves and pistons.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    I am assuming you are talking about the intake cam phasing angle vs the VVEL angle. VVEL angle is what adjust the VVEL duration. Never have seen it expressed as duration. I know that the cam phasing is handled automatically in response to the VVEL angle. If you were to alter the VVEL and Cam Phasing separately you could easily introduce valves and pistons.
    In the VVEL WOT table, it is expressed in duration rather than cam angle *. I don't have my laptop currently or I'd provide a screenshot. So then, does increasing duration in this table advance or retard the intake cam is the question?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidTuning View Post
    In the VVEL WOT table, it is expressed in duration rather than cam angle *. I don't have my laptop currently or I'd provide a screenshot. So then, does increasing duration in this table advance or retard the intake cam is the question?
    Fairly certain that the intake camshaft is retarded as the VVEL duration is increased in the 370Z like it was in my M56S. Retarding a camshaft increases intake valve to piston clearance.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    Fairly certain that the intake camshaft is retarded as the VVEL duration is increased in the 370Z like it was in my M56S. Retarding a camshaft increases intake valve to piston clearance.
    Perfect! Exactly what I needed to know about the VVEL. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by VoidTuning View Post
    Hey All,

Digging into a bolt on 370z, headers, intakes, downpipes.

Wanted to get some clarification on the timing tables we see. Is there a way to view which "MBT Mode" is currently being used? Does it matter? Coming from ecoboosts where the timing strategy is complicated, but we have an easy way to identify which is being utilized. Does the car use the LOW det ignition tables at WOT until KR is heard and then shift to hi det?

Ignition timing.PNG

Also,
    RPM????? axis on open loop target lambda? what's the deal?

Fuel.PNG

Lastly, we have tables for VVEL duration at WOT, but nothing to change the VTC angle. Will this be supported? If not, can VTC angle be manipulated by changing VVEL duration?
    Looks like we've got a broken RPM axis, sorry about that. What's your OS ID, I'll go in and fix it