Thread: Logging wideband via serial port adapter

Tuner in Training

Logging wideband via serial port adapter

I am trying without much success to log wideband data through a serial port adapter.

Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron laptop
    HP Tuners / VCM Scanner 4.0.12
    AEM 30-0310 wideband controller
    USB-Serial adapter (labeled FTDI FT232RL on the female serial plug)
    Male-male serial cable cut in half

AEM's instructions say to connect pin 2 to the blue wire from the wideband controller and pin 5 to ground.

I used a continuity tester to map the wire colors to the pins on the male serial cable. Pin 2 is yellow and pin 5 is brown on my cable.

These are the cables I have:

The cables (USB-Serial adapter in the middle / Half of a male-male serial plug on the outside):

USB-Serial adapter:

Half of a male-male serial cable:

The computer is seeing the USB-Serial adapter and the settings for COM port match those specified by AEM's manual:

In VCM scanner, I added a channel for a serial input. There is a pre-defined one for AEM - AFR, which I chose. When I go to log the car, the channel disappears from the list. From searching, I understand that means the channel isn't reading correctly. I tried right clicking on the channel and using transform to specify the model of wideband controller. There is a preset for AEM 30-(30x0, 2340, 5130), but that doesn't seem to change anything.

I'm stumped on why it's not working.
    2017 Chevy Cruze | Stock daily driver

2004 Pontiac GTO | Magnacharger kit | Pedders Track II Suspension | Custom 1,200 watt stereo system

1987 Pontiac Trans-Am | L33 Aluminum block 5.3 engine | 4L60e Transmission | 2000 Camaro PCM and harness | Custom LS to F-body harness

Advanced Tuner

Aem

Assuming from wiring set-up on page 2 you have Pin 5 (black) grounded to vehicle/battery ground? Also might determine if you have more than com port 1 and the com port setting needs to be changed to 2,3,4. Not sure how many com ports your computer has and what com port you may be attached to. Look in device manager to see there are any errors/missing drivers. If computer has a com port. You might wire by connecting by com port (9 pin DB-9) and not USB? That would be easier. The diagram shows com port (DB-9), not USB. Not sure if this would matter, but in this day and age one would think they would show USB if that's what they intended for the connection. Picture three/last picture is the cable you want to use for com port on computer. If you are using USB on computer, the terminals must line up all the way thru the harness from USB terminal 3 to the DB-9 terminal 2 wire end and USB terminal 2 to DB-9 terminal 5 wire end. The USB on your coiled cable in picture 1 doesn't necessarily line up with terminals 2 and 5 on the DB-9 end. I added a diagram for the four (4) USB terminals. The two center terminals are 2 (-) and 3(+). The two outers are 5-volt power and ground you don't need to hook up to anything. Sorry for all the info., just don't know how you computer is configured.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DGS; 12-09-2018 at 04:41 PM. Reason: added pic

Potential Tuner
    Did you ever figure this out? I am using the exact same items that you have in the picture and I can't get it to read. If you figured it out, please let me know! Thank you

Tuner in Training
    use this progam as its eaiser to set up than windows https://sites.google.com/site/terminalbpp/

Advanced Tuner
    That will work. But, there are a lot of settings that you need to get right.

This one is simpler. http://www.adidev.com/cheeselogger.zip

cheeselogger.jpg

With this one, if you choose the right COM port, it will be obvious, right away, if you are getting data.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks, I have tried both programs that you guys have suggested and I am still not getting any data coming through. I have verified wiring, drivers, etc.. and I can't seem to catch a break.

Potential Tuner
    Quick update as I am sure more people will be completely lost as to why this isn't working.. After a week of troubleshooting and digging through forums (mostly Evo forums).. SWITCH THE BLUE WIRE FROM PIN 2 TO PIN 3! I don't know how this hasn't been figured out yet but pin 2 is for receiving data and pin 3 is for transmitting data. Trying to put a square into a circular hole.. Anyway, my wideband is working now and just logged it in HPTuners.

Tuner in Training
    Question. I"m using a similar FTDI FT232RL from DSD tech. I've used the terminal app shown above and I can send letters ,words ,whatever to the chip and with the jumper that is supplied for the input across pins 2 and 3 , I get the data I sent back. So the adapter is working . The computer sees it.
    The question I have are....
    IT's set default for 3.3 ttl. What logic voltage level should I used? Do I need to switch it to 5v logic.
    Also....can I use the terminal app to connect to the wideband to see if it picks up the incoming data? If I get data showing up on the screen...then I can rule out the wideband and know that it's working. It's not the first time I see a bunch of comments that the thing was bad out of the box. I've only had it for about a week, so putting everything together.

update. Using the terminal app I can see data coming in, so the the gauge is transmitting and the converter is working. As soon as I fire up the program and hit log...I can see the led on the receiving side stops blinking. Like is the program is trying to read it or something and just brings the chip to a complete halt. that and the Channels disappears. I've tried resyncing it. I reinstalled suite, with the usb connected just to make sure it might see it while the computer installs the program and nothing. Pretty frustrating for all the coin I've dropped and can't get a simple read off of the gauge. I guess I'll try a different usb to serial converter. Any body recommend one that's pretty bullet proof or has very few communication issues?

update 2
    Don't buy Any DSD TEch usb to serial adapters. They don't work with the software even though with terminal emulators... you can see the data. I picked this up from amazon. Only 10 bucks and next day and after almost jumping off the roof because I was frustrated...this adapter worked perfectly with the HPT software.

UGREEN USB 2.0 to RS232 DB9 Serial Cable Male A Converter Adapter with PL2303
    Last edited by Jquest; 11-02-2020 at 04:36 PM.

I'll have to try pin 3! beyond frustrated that there isn't clarification on this haha

Advanced Tuner
    I"m using a similar FTDI FT232RL from DSD tech.
    IT's set default for 3.3 ttl. What logic voltage level should I used? Do I need to switch it to 5v logic.
    This will not work, in either configuration. 3.3v/5.0vb TTL serial interfaces are for desktop/chip-to-chip type communication.

Standard RS-232 ( used for inter-device communication ) is +/- 8v to +/-25v. And, it is "inverted", compared to the TTL interfaces.
    i.e. 1s are 0s and 0s are 1s

You need a USB-to-Serial adapter, with RS-232 level input/output. You may have, already, damaged your 3.3v converter by applying 12v ( from the wideband ) to it.

Tuner in Training
    I'm lost! I've hooked up both wires 2 and 3 to the blue wire and the 5th pin the ground and not even showing a signal in my cheeselogger. I've downloaded the drivers for the cable, it is showing in the com4 spot in my device manager. Com4 shows up in cheeselogger but I never get a signal. Absolutely no idea why I can't get this figured out. Why can't I just be smart? This is so frustrating!!!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    That will work. But, there are a lot of settings that you need to get right.

This one is simpler. http://www.adidev.com/cheeselogger.zip

cheeselogger.jpg

With this one, if you choose the right COM port, it will be obvious, right away, if you are getting data.
    So even with just the key on it should be getting a signal from the afr as long as everything is lined up and hooked up correctly? The car doesnt have to running? Just as long as the afr has power this cheeseloger should show some signal? And its only showing one come port in the cheeeloger, so I'm assuing it is picking up the serial to usb port and not the usb to hptuners I have plugged in the other usb port? I thought it would pick up both usb ports since they were plugged in?

Advanced Tuner
    1. Yes. The WB only needs to be powered on to send a signal.

2. If VCMScanner is running, it, probably, takes control of the serial port. So, it won't be available to CheeseLogger. Serial ports can not be shared between programs.

Tuner in Training
    Dr Mike. Thank you for the reply. I figured it out finally! Both male and female serial connectors started their wiring numbers on opposite sides. So when I wanted to be plugged into #2 pin and #5 pin for ground, mine ended up being #4 to the blue wire, and #1 to ground. But like you said, as soon as I hooked them up correctly and turned the key, I got a signal in the cheeselogger. Thanks so much for that. It saved me. Anyone else having problems. Check your wiring is correct like mine wasn’t, then make sure everything is plugged in to the computer and the car and restart you computer. Worked for mine perfect. Good luck people!

Advanced Tuner
    A lot of people get confused by the pin numbering on the DB-9 connectors. But, if you think about it, IT HAS TO BE THAT WAY, for the wires to keep the same pin number, when the connectors are joined (mirror images ). They could, probably document it better, though. If you have a magnifying lens, you may be able to make out the pin numbers, cast into the plastic parts of the connectors. ( tiny ! )

I hope to make this whole exercise irrelevant, soon

Tuner in Training
    Right when I get this figured out. Lol. Awesome!