Thread: 2018 Trackhawk limp mode issues

Tuner

2018 Trackhawk limp mode issues

This weekend I tuned a 2018 Trackhawk, yes ecu unlock and access cable was needed. Trackhawk mods are pulley, CAI, Headers, id1050. Was able to dial in correct lamda throughout full RPM range and timing of around 20 without knock on 91 octane. It pulls strong (full boost) without any issues when on Track setting. However if rolling about 50 mph on normal or Sport setting when you put pedal the metal full boost happen (not if you launch it from a dig, boost is limited) trackhwak goes into limp mode, WTF? No ecu codes visible. Seems like limp mode is caused by ABS/stability module in my opinion.

? In normal drive mode when launching from a dig boost is limited to 130 kpa going through the gears. Same issue if traction control off
    ? In normal mode if you select 3 gear manual mode while rolling full boost happens 210 kpa pulls strong and able to shift without issues manually.
    ? in normal mode if rolling 50 mph down shift full boost then goes into limp mode with no visible codes. Same issue if traction control off
    ? in sport mode launches from a dig boost starts at 131kpa (low boost) then boost fluctuates if full boost happens long enough limp mode happens
    ? In track mode no issues pulls with full boost in all gears. NO ISSUES

Has anyone seen this issues? Currently workaround is to do WOT in track mode and he seems fine with this. However I would like to solve limp mode issue. To reset limp mode turn off car open door and restart limp mode reset

Advanced Tuner
    Trans torque limit most likely.
    Raise it up.
    Post your tune and a log of the issue.
    Last edited by Hemituna; 11-29-2018 at 04:26 AM.

Tuner in Training
    No codes showing VCM scanner? I had an issue of engine overspeed but fixed this by raising the limit in the TCM side.

20 sounds a huge amount on 91.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipfloptrader View Post

especially with a pulley swap..

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@HAP View Post
    especially with a pulley swap..
    I know engine as no knock and pulls hard feels like a 135mph car.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipfloptrader View Post
    No codes showing VCM scanner? I had an issue of engine overspeed but fixed this by raising the limit in the TCM side.

I have access to tcm I did try to toggle torque management disable to no avail. As for engine overspeed would produce a code of something like p0219, never got this code. still confused of limp mode, any ideas? maybe could be address with TCM. Confuse has to why no pcm codes, and trackhawk as the ability of retrieving codes via dash, NO codes displayed.

Senior Tuner
    A log would do wonders to helping out, tough to talk through an issue just in theory.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by obd2 View Post
    This weekend I tuned a 2018 Trackhawk, yes ecu unlock and access cable was needed. Trackhawk mods are pulley, CAI, Headers, id1050. Was able to dial in correct lamda throughout full RPM range and timing of around 20 without knock on 91 octane. It pulls strong (full boost) without any issues when on Track setting. However if rolling about 50 mph on normal or Sport setting when you put pedal the metal full boost happen (not if you launch it from a dig, boost is limited) trackhwak goes into limp mode, WTF? No ecu codes visible. Seems like limp mode is caused by ABS/stability module in my opinion.

? In normal drive mode when launching from a dig boost is limited to 130 kpa going through the gears. Same issue if traction control off
    ? In normal mode if you select 3 gear manual mode while rolling full boost happens 210 kpa pulls strong and able to shift without issues manually.
    ? in normal mode if rolling 50 mph down shift full boost then goes into limp mode with no visible codes. Same issue if traction control off
    ? in sport mode launches from a dig boost starts at 131kpa (low boost) then boost fluctuates if full boost happens long enough limp mode happens
    ? In track mode no issues pulls with full boost in all gears. NO ISSUES

Has anyone seen this issues? Currently workaround is to do WOT in track mode and he seems fine with this. However I would like to solve limp mode issue. To reset limp mode turn off car open door and restart limp mode reset
    First item to call out has already been addressed but I want to say it again - 20 degrees of timing on 91 with stock boost is too much. Adding a smaller upper pulley (I assume that is what you mean by pulley) the timing you have in it is way too much.

In regards to your "Limp Mode" issue I have seen Trackhawks with a 2.85 upper and 10% over lower throw a U1424 under the exact same conditions you are describing.
    You may want to scan the vehicle before clearing the limp mode condition to see if this is your issue. If it is then you will have a better understanding on what to address in the tune to resolve it.
    I have been working with HPtuners support to have items added to the TH calibration to help resolve this issue and they have been extremely helpful.
    As usual Steve G. has been going out of his way and it is greatly appreciated.
    If this is your issues what you need to resolve it is now available in the calibration as of a week or two ago.
    Specializing in building and tuning 1000hp, daily driven, 9 second cars!

www.ostdyno.com Shop Phone: 724-368-9000

I am having this issue [email protected] along with a p1dd2 code

Advanced Tuner
    Email me and we can make arrangements for a remote tune (or in-house if you are close).
    Specializing in building and tuning 1000hp, daily driven, 9 second cars!

www.ostdyno.com Shop Phone: 724-368-9000

Tuner in Training
    Did you ever fix this ? I finally figured out how to fix my u1424 code.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Trbobuick View Post
    Did you ever fix this ? I finally figured out how to fix my u1424 code.
    Glad to hear
    I am getting the suv back in two week to completed tune. it sound like I too was getting code U1424 but I never was able to confirmed it lol. [email protected] mention a update is available to address this. Trbobuick care to share?