Thread: Guys, I urgently need your help. About to brick my PCM. RTT related.

Banned

Guys, I urgently need your help. About to brick my PCM. RTT related.

I regretfully tried to check out the Real Time Tuning option(s) in the OS tab in the Editor last night and screwed up. There are 4 options (for my '01 or '02 LS1 PCM). 3 bar, 2 bar, 1 SD and 1 bar MAF RTT. I clicked on the 1 bar MAF enhanced RTT tab for a further look. I thought there'd be details about credits, features... along with a "Continue" or "Apply mod" tab/button (like there f-ing should be). I was wrong.

I got this instead oh no.jpg It instantly went ahead with it.

Now, I do want that option/mod, but the problem is the tune file I had and still have open in my Editor (behind that WARNING window in pic) isn't flashed into my PCM. It was a tune I was about to flash, which I/we'll call my "future tune". So I think if I go ahead with that (future) tune file, my PCM won't recognize it and shit itself.
    I emailed HP Tuners support explaining everything and just got back "Don't use the current tune file and try to re-read the vehicle then make the changes you'd like and write it back."
    I don't fully understand those ^ instructions and would really appreciate it if someone could spell it out for me in detail and/or tell me exactly what to do.

I can't believe my cars PCM (and ability to use a $800 product I bought from HP Tuners) is at risk now just because I wanted to read a bit more about Real Time Tuning

You have to save file as > rename it to COS or something to keep it from over writing your original tune. Once you save it you must close the tune out and re-open it. Once re-opened you must do a write entire. This will write the new OS into the PCM.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

If you haven't written anything to the PCM yet but you overwrote the stock file on your PC then you can simply re-read the PCM as it is and save as a backup.
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Banned
    Thank you very much for your time and help.

I totally understand this..
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    You have to save file as > rename it to COS or something to keep it from over writing your original tune. Once you save it you must close the tune out and re-open it. Once re-opened you must do a write entire. This will write the new OS into the PCM.
    (that is for a normal situation though.. one where you haven't accidently RTT modded the wrong tune file which isn't flashed into your PCM)

Not 100% about the 2nd half of this..
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    If you haven't written anything to the PCM yet but you overwrote the stock file on your PC then you can simply re-read the PCM as it is and save as a backup.

So we're on the same page and you fully get my situation + in case I wasn't clear on everything, I'll add a bit more details & simplify...
    - I have written/flashed my PCM before (with HP Tuners) about 50x and still have most of my old/previous tune files saved.
    - I had my Editor open last night, adjusted a few things, Saved As ("future tune"), then thought I'd check out the RTT option.
    - I clicked it and it instantly installed (or at least gave me that pop-up message in my pic above) without thinking it would.
    - HP Tuners support told me not to re-use the "current tune file" and then to try re-read the vehicle. I don't see how I can do both without bricking my PCM. If I close the warning message and Editor then re-open it (which in turn will lose the file the 1 Bar RTT mod saved to.. perhaps it doesn't properly save unless I save it. Is this what's been doing my head in? Has it not fully installed on this tune file?), I believe it will brick my PCM when I Write next. If I do things the normal way and proceed to Save As the file... then I believe it will brick my PCM when I go Write it as it's a different tune file (though the same serial numbers, application keys...).

What's done my head in even more is I mentioned my "current tune" and "future tune" to him/support and now I'm not sure what he means by "current tune file", as when I say "current tune" it means what's currently written in my PCM but I think he's talking about the tune file that's currently open in my Editor with this pop up warning window. This whole thing is such a headphuck and huge regret.

What do you think now (other than me being very confused)?
    Do you think I can just close the warning window/message and Editor without any problems, like the whole thing never happened, then open the tune that's written to my PCM, start over, RTT mod that and save that...?

Advanced Tuner
    LSxpwrdZ can corroborate to see if we both understand you correctly, but if I understand it properly here's what you should do:

1) Go ahead and click the OK button
    2) "Save as" some different file name (perhaps "RTT future tune"), as this will be the RTT file if you ever choose to use it.
    3) Close the file
    4) Close HP Tuners
    5) Open HP Tuners
    6) Open "Future Tune" that you had already saved before the RTT adventure
    7) you should be right back to where you started before you clicked RTT
    8) if you want to use the RTT file, then open "RTT future tune" and write entire
    9) if you don't want to use the RTT file, simply keep doing what you have been doing with either your "future tune" file or any of your previous files as if nothing happened

All you will have done is save a tune file, basically. Your PCM won't know you've done anything until you choose to write entire that RTT file. If you never write entire that RTT file, you haven't really changed anything. Go back and open some other file and keep on rocking.

If you are asking if you can go back and take the RTT off your adjusted tune, the answer is no. You will have to go back to the prior saved file. Now your adjustments will still be saved on your RTT file so if you want those adjustments to be applied to the file prior to you RTT enabled file you can simply do a compare file and copy those changes from the RTT file back into your previous file.

The only thing that may not be able to be copied is the VE table depending on which RTT OS you applied. The 2/3bar blank out the VE tables when that option is applied.
    ShorTuning

Banned
    Thanks a lot, guys.

I just done the first 4 steps of what Rob wrote above. All went well.
    I get it now. That RTT file I just saved won't affect my PCM unless I Write it. I thought it would brick my PCM whether I saved the RTT tune file or not.

I'm not going to waste another second of my life with RTT.

Thanks again to you both.

Advanced Tuner
    There is no harm in having the RTT, and it is reversible as well. Just follow the directions posted above. You are over thinking it.

I know it is scary, I had a lot of misgivings about this as well. If you have a good copy of the tune that is stable, Save it for future reference.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Markmx6 View Post
    If you have a good copy of the tune that is stable...
    That's the thing.. I don't know if it is stable/usable.. if I can use the RTT file I saved, because it was never flashed to my PCM beforehand (pre-RTT mod). The tune file was a work in progress I saved (but did not Write to PCM) then I clicked "OS" for a look and next thing I know, RTT installed itself onto the tune and there was no "Cancel" button or anything.
    If I had the tune that was flashed to my PCM at the time open in my Editor instead, I wouldn't have had any problems/headphucks.

It doesn't matter. I can go/live without RTT. My tune is pretty dialed in. Just need to figure out now if the minor knock I'm getting is false or legit.

Advanced Tuner
    More of what I meant was...

A question first...

Is the car running a stable tune? even if it isn't perfect?

If it is, then you can hook up the MPVI to the car and "read entire" and save that file with a new name. Then you have a known stable copy of the tune.

Banned
    Oh.. the tune in my car. Yes, it's stable. I re-read it the other night, saved it, re-tuned-and-wrote it, took my car for a spin... All good. Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    Good to hear