Thread: Tuning LFX Alloytech Engines for swaps?

Tuner

Tuning LFX Alloytech Engines for swaps?

I have successfully completed several engine swaps, mainly installing 3800SC and 4.9L Cadillac engines in mid engine Pontiac Fieros. They have all worked well but we're talking about old technology here. The new high feature DI VVT engines offer so much more power (300-325 HP) and are about 33% lower in weight than previous generation V6's like the 3.4L, 3400, 3800 etc.. The power to weight ratio of these newer Alloytech engines is very favorable.
    The issues that I see using the Alloytech is that their CAN PCM.s are designed to interface with BCM, ABS,Instrumentation and traction control (with inputs taken from wheel speed sensors). I have examined the program with my HP Editor and don't see much in the way of disabling all of the un-necessary stuff for stand alone applications (an engine swap or perhaps even for a boat or Dune Buggy application).
    There are a couple of guys on You Tube that have done successful LFX/auto swaps with these engines and the claims are that they get them to start and run in closed loop without many of the CAN inputs. A few have put these modern light weight engines in older trucks and in Miatas with great results.
    Has anyone here completed an Alloytech 3.6L LLT, LFX, LCS, etc swap? How was it done and how does it run?

Tuner in Training
    MER has done several. I don't know his screen name here but he's on here. I've also seen at least 3 others on the street.

Do a search for Miata LFX and you'll find several that walk you through it. IIRC you want to lose the BCM & you can lose the ABS/traction control
    "mobilito ergo sum"
    I drive, therefore I am.