Thread: 2018 Mustang with Whipple Calibration - Reading 10R80 Data

2018 Mustang with Whipple Calibration - Reading 10R80 Data

Is it possible to use Scanner to read the 10r80 data? In particular commanded gear and actual gear. Using MPVI Pro does not do it. Just get stand engine channels in the selection box.

Looking to use Scanner to log detailed data while evaluating these Whipple calibrations.

Thanks,

Rob

Tuner in Training
    I have a 2018 in the shop right now getting a Whipple, I'll let you know if I can scan those PID's. I had to upgrade to the MPVI2 because of the 2019's we Whipple'd and no longer have the MPVI Pro if that matters.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by b3tuning View Post
    I have a 2018 in the shop right now getting a Whipple, I'll let you know if I can scan those PID's. I had to upgrade to the MPVI2 because of the 2019's we Whipple'd and no longer have the MPVI Pro if that matters.
    aftermarket strategies on 18+ also require the MPVI2 IIRC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    aftermarket strategies on 18+ also require the MPVI2 IIRC
    We have been tuning an 18 mustang using the wired Pro version. HPTuners must be online too for some reason. It looks like the bootloader is coming from HPT, instead of being pulled from the ecu.

In order to Log all PIDs and DMRs like a stock tune, You need to send a read to [email protected] and request the file be patched. They fix the throttle lock issue that effects the tune when changes are made and patch the PIDs and DMRs so the scanner can see all of that data.

Hptuner then requires you to license and flash that file "write entire" with a mpvi2 (really you just have to have the mpvi2 to open the file in the editor - this is to force people to upgrade) then you will be able to tune away.

@eric@HPTuners could give you a more technical answer but that is what has to be done currently.

Hptuners says the editor will patch these files on its own in the future like the older whipple tunes - needing you to license and write the file once before logging can be done - ETA unknown...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MRRPMBRP View Post
    We have been tuning an 18 mustang using the wired Pro version. HPTuners must be online too for some reason. It looks like the bootloader is coming from HPT, instead of being pulled from the ecu.
    yeah, 18+ require an internet connection in order to read and write, on the road I usually just tether my phones internet to it. You also need to have the MPVI1/2 connected when you export files to a nGauge as well...

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Is it possible to use Scanner to read the 10r80 data? In particular commanded gear and actual gear. Using MPVI Pro does not do it. Just get stand engine channels in the selection box.

Looking to use Scanner to log detailed data while evaluating these Whipple calibrations.

Thanks,

Rob
    I found that if you read the Whipple tune than you can do a repoll and get the available PIDs.

FWIW,

Rob

Bump on this, has anyone had problems with this recently? I can only see limited PID's on the Scanner (Whipple'd 2017 Mustang). I did a read, sent it to support. They replied to go ahead and download the latest BETA, re-read and it should auto check/apply the patch and want to reflash. No luck, it reads and then allows you to save like normal, and going to the flash menu works like normal as well. Waiting on support to get back to me.....
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Did you flash it - write entire?

I did not, I was unsure about flashing it as a dialogue never came up or anything out of the ordinary, which made me cautious about possibly rendering the vehicle inop in case something wasn't right...
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Quote Originally Posted by 96gt4.6 View Post
    I did not, I was unsure about flashing it as a dialogue never came up or anything out of the ordinary, which made me cautious about possibly rendering the vehicle inop in case something wasn't right...
    First check and see if there’s a box for os modification, if there is you need to apply it.

If it’s not there just write entire and you should be done (If HP tuners has your Whipple strategy mapped)

Ok, I looked and there is nothing under the OS Tab. I did notice however that if I simply try and close out of the Editor it asks if I want to save changes, even though all I did was read-out and never made any changes. I'm assuming this is the auto-patching of the OS that was detected as a change.

I can see everything in the tune and all the values are populated so it appears the OS is mapped out. I'll give it a write and see what happens. What's weird is it never asks for any re-licensing, which i'm told it should.
    '17 Whipple'd S550

The licensing is now tied to your vin and pcm serial number not strategy anymore.

the auto patching happens when you do the write entire the first time.

Still working on this issue with Support. They say it should prompt to patch the file after the readout is done, however I am getting no prompt. Advised not to write until I do and they are working on it. Good to know that the VIN and PCM serial are the determining factors, it always was a pain when a cal update cost $100 in credits!
    '17 Whipple'd S550