Thread: OBDLink MX+ bluetooth scanner connection

Potential Tuner

OBDLink MX+ bluetooth scanner connection

Hello -

Is the newest OBDlink MX+ bluetooth scanner supported? So far I was unable to connect to my iPhone 8 using any of the available options...

Thank you -

Tomek

Potential Tuner
    I was told the work is underway to enable support for iPhone.

At this time, there is no current or planned support for the MX+ on iOS, but it appears to be compatible on Android. Based on the information on their website, this device communicates over Bluetooth using SPP (same as the previous MX Bluetooth), and also iAP2 (Apple accessory protocol).

We support ELM327-compatible Bluetooth SPP devices in the Android version of TrackAddict, so I'd expect it to work there, but unfortunately Apple had chosen not to support this very widely used Bluetooth standard. That's why there's relatively limited Bluetooth OBD-II device support on iOS in general (our own MPVI2 currently faces this limitation as well). Device manufacturers have 3 choices for iOS support: Use WiFi (most older OBD devices did this for iOS), use Bluetooth 4 / 5 (aka BLE; many newer devices are going this route), or subject themselves to Apple's MFi program (it would appear that's what they did for the MX+). Unfortunately, the MFi program's burdens aren't limited to hardware manufacturers, as apps have to implement support for each specific device (it's not universal like the other options), and then get some additional approvals and coordination to release that in the App Store. That severely limits the practicality for 3rd party apps like ours, so I think we'll see most of the industry going more towards Bluetooth 4 / BLE and especially Bluetooth 5 (which is faster), although there can be some technical limitations there.

Potential Tuner
    So will this work with “OBDLink wifi” and iPhone?
    Last edited by MSM69Z28; 05-12-2019 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

Yes, the OBDLink MX WiFi should work for iOS. You will need to make sure your device is connected to its WiFi network, and then set TrackAddict's OBD mode to "WiFi".

Alternatively, the PLX Kiwi 3 (3, not 4) is a popular option that's easy to get working... Just plug it in to the vehicle with the engine running (or at least ignition on), then set TrackAddict's OBD mode to "BLE", and it should start connecting and indicate some progress within 15 seconds or so. No pairing needed.