Thread: Where did everyone learn how to tune?

Tuner in Training

Where did everyone learn how to tune?

looking for advice. I plan on buying the hp tuners beginner editorial thing and the transmission tune package. But curious where everybody else learned. I thought it would be a little easier but its like reading a foreign language to me. just looking for a good place to start. Id greatly appreciate it. thanks in advance.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Back in 04' I learned how to tune my camaro through help from a few guys on the ls1tech forum, the scroll over help and alot of just testing changes.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

I learned back in 1980's playing with dirt bike jetting, 2 strokes, running lean and melting pistons. Then moved to modifying cars and dunebuggys, just trying to keep them running good from mixing/matching parts. Back then I would set timing by rotating the distributor and listening how it sounded. Learn so much that way.

Then one day in 2002 I switched over to LT1_Edit with it's computers and tables.. .so much more control, but much harder to tune simply because you have to log then flash.. log then flash, we lost that real time tuning part for most of the OEM ecu's which basically your tuning by looking at a chart rather than hearing the immediate change from how that value changed the sound of the engine since you have to wait until after the flash. Time consuming for sure.

Using a real time tuning setup cuts time in about 1/100th, no exaggeration since you hear/see the change instantly, just like the olden days.

You kinda need to start from the basics.. what does rich lean fueling sounds like, and why did my 2strokes always make way more power right when they were running out of gas? then what does changing spark timing do... once you get this, you will have much easier time tuning.

Then when you read how you "should" tune, it all makes perfect sense since you've already learned how it all works. Kinda like buying something new, playing with it first, then reading the manual after you think you knew everything.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 12-04-2018 at 08:34 AM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Tuning Addict
    Kinda on the same lines - modified chainsaws, weedeaters, mowers, tractors, personal vehicles, friends vehicles - all with trial and error. As pointed out Best thing is feeling and hearing how changes made to the tunes actually effects things - whole reason for the dyno with wot numbers...

Then of course - lots of friends around here to help
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

learning how an engine works and learning to use software to calibrate is a little different. built and ran carburated race engines for many years. learned to use software (HPT) to control an engine by teaching myself on a 2001 Z06 with a stroker motor and nitrous.