Thread: Data logging with locked tune?

Tuner in Training

Data logging with locked tune?

Hi guys - quick question; I am about to buy the MPVI unit for my 2001 Z06. It has a tune on it that may be `locked`.

Q - Will I be able to log PCM data with this locked tune?

I understand that I will have to flash an OEM cal down to the PCM and start tune from scratch if the current one is locked, but obviously being able to log how the engine is running now might be useful.

Thanks all.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes you can still log

You can datalog anything you want.
    However if it's truly tunerlocked you will not be able to read or write anything to it. If you need to modify the tune I advise to source a used PCM and start over.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    You can datalog anything you want.
    However if it's truly tunerlocked you will not be able to read or write anything to it. If you need to modify the tune I advise to source a used PCM and start over.
    Oh really? Well that's not great! You can't just flash a production calibration?

I don't actually know if it's locked or not at this time. How do I tell? Plug the dongle in and try?

Advanced Tuner
    try read the file. if it failed to complete the controller unlocked then its locked.

you need to get a PCM tech to flash a factory OS back on it or a dealer. I have been told that with gen3 PCMs if you open them up and earth a single pin on the board it allows you to write a file over the top of what's locked. but I personally haven't done this

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by lukearmstrong1990 View Post
    try read the file. if it failed to complete the controller unlocked then its locked.

you need to get a PCM tech to flash a factory OS back on it or a dealer. I have been told that with gen3 PCMs if you open them up and earth a single pin on the board it allows you to write a file over the top of what's locked. but I personally haven't done this
    Ok - Thanks for help guys.

Potential Tuner
    I would read it and if it doesn't allow you to read it then I would source a new pcm and start over. it might be locked so nobody sees how jacked up the previous guy has the tune