Thread: New to Tuning, MPG tune timing options

Potential Tuner

New to Tuning, MPG tune timing options

What can I do to clean up and improve efficiency on my stock tune? Is there anything I can do to smooth out some ends to help improve mpg?

What year truck? What mods have been done?

Potential Tuner
    Same question, New to tuning here trying to get more mpg i just recently got the hp mpvi2.
    i have a 2005 chevrolet silverado z71 crew cab.

Quote Originally Posted by madowns1993 View Post
    Same question, New to tuning here trying to get more mpg i just recently got the hp mpvi2.
    i have a 2005 chevrolet silverado z71 crew cab.
    Wrong section for a Chevy but with the Cummins I?ve had good luck with lower rail pressure, lower timing, lower pilot timing and slightly reduced pilot quantity in the cruise region for gaining mpg, driving habits, weather conditions, road speeds are a couple other major factors

Tuner in Training
    First off fix/set your rail pressure compensation tables for both IAT/CT & IAT/Baro, then do the same for the timing correction tables. Smooth out the rail pressure tables, leave the duration alone and then go to work on the main timing tables. ANY time you change fuel pressure once the timing is set, you'll need to readjust the timing in the affected areas.

I cruise at 16k psi, have minimal pre & post duration events and mainly use them to keep the turbo spooled and exhaust clean. I peaked at 23.3 mpg this past summer and had 5 23+ mpg tanks. 2005 QCSB 4wd, stock height, 33" tires, 21# 4th gen aluminum wheels and AL driveshaft. All hand calculated, fuel tank is vented so I fill up to the filler neck every time.

Potential Tuner
    I have a 2006 QCSB with just an intake and exhaust

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by steve05ram360 View Post
    First off fix/set your rail pressure compensation tables for both IAT/CT & IAT/Baro, then do the same for the timing correction tables. Smooth out the rail pressure tables, leave the duration alone and then go to work on the main timing tables. ANY time you change fuel pressure once the timing is set, you'll need to readjust the timing in the affected areas.

I cruise at 16k psi, have minimal pre & post duration events and mainly use them to keep the turbo spooled and exhaust clean. I peaked at 23.3 mpg this past summer and had 5 23+ mpg tanks. 2005 QCSB 4wd, stock height, 33" tires, 21# 4th gen aluminum wheels and AL driveshaft. All hand calculated, fuel tank is vented so I fill up to the filler neck every time.
    By fix you mean to set my rail pressure to be around 16k cruising and then how do I correct my timing, lower it? And how do I just smooth out rail pressure tables? Sorry I'm new to this I just dont understand a lot of this stuff. Maybe someone can link me to a good basics guide.

Tuner in Training
    Not sure on linking in other threads here but...here is what I've learned, plus other useful info in there with recommendations.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3...s-learned.html

Novice tuner here so keep that in mind.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by steve05ram360 View Post
    Not sure on linking in other threads here but...here is what I've learned, plus other useful info in there with recommendations.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3...s-learned.html

Novice tuner here so keep that in mind.
    So say I wanna start with rail pressure, what table do I use and do I just set each one or. I'm looking under Main Injection Limits and all I see is Low pressure limit and Baro limit A, B, and C. For timing I would do my rail pressure then go and advance my timing by .25* until I get it to build boost good but still keep it clean.

Tuner in Training
    Limits aside, you want to do your compensation tables to the rail pressure, timing and baro first, then smooth out the rail pressure tables, leave the duration alone for now, then work on timing. The thread has info (IIRC) on what tables to address based on altitude. There is a pic of a table in there that shows what the pressure is at various altitudes, then go look at the tables that tell you what tables are accessed based on baro pressure.

This will help you get familiar with the tool. I'd suggest leaving the limiters in place until your pretty comfortable with the tool and know what affects what.