Thread: Tuning Newbie - L83 retarding timing during shifts

Potential Tuner

Tuning Newbie - L83 retarding timing during shifts

Im trying my hand at tuning, Id appreciate any feedback you can offer.
    Im working on my 18 L83 Silverado, I removed the third cat and had a flow-through muffler installed on Saturday, besides DOD disable tune is currently stock. I logged it during lunch and noticed an exhaust pop/backfire during wot shifts. Looked at the log, and its retarding the timing as much as 19 deg during shifts, which explains the backfire. My question is, will it hurt to change it to 0 deg during shifts so I dont get that backfire?

Part of the reason for the timing retard was to help with the transmission shifting, it's removing power/torque for a split second.

I've had no issues in the past raising the min spark value to -5 to 0 degrees.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I figured it was to smooth the shifting. Im not going to change any trans tuning, but I do want to make the engine run/perform a little better, and want to get rid of the torque management in the ecm

Being that these computers are torque based, you can't really remove the TM from the tune because that is how they made to function.

Reducing the timing retard is fine to a point but removing the TM entirely is not something you can do.

On a stock truck you can try to optimize the overall timing curve for part throttle and full throttle. Some even mess with the VVT settings and of course you can make some adjustments to power enrichment settings and so on.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the advice, I know I cant completely get rid of the torque management, I meant I want to get rid of as much torque management as possible, but typing in a hurry. Im not expecting big changes stock, will eventually do more to it to utilize the tuner more, but the truck only has 2400 miles on it right now