Thread: Engine swap advise 5.3 4l60e

Tuner in Training

Engine swap advise 5.3 4l60e

I'm doing an engine swap and will be using a 2005 5.3 L33 engine and a 4L60e trans. Will I need more than just the ecu and engine wire harness from donor vehicle ... are there other "black boxes/ control modules" that are needed?

I've worked with other aftermarket EFI systems. For this project I want to use a factory system and tune/ program it for my application.
    Don't need VATS or secondary O2 sensors

No, that is all you need.

The engine, trans and wiring harness for the engine/transmission is all you need.

Then disable VATS, rear o2 codes, EVAP etc for what you aren't using. Though I do suggest leaving the rear o2 sensors plugged in and just zip tied out of the way. There is a cat test that you can not disabled with HP Tuners on those P59 computers, it tends to show up when the rear o2 sensors are open circuits.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    That's good news. Some where I had read that it wouldn't start or run without the body control unit, which I don't have.
    Thanks for the tip on the secondary O2's

I'm trying to keep things simple, yet have all the control that the stock system provides. Especially on the transmission shift parameters.
    Last edited by carzan; 12-05-2018 at 05:27 PM.

It's a much older computer/controller so it needs way less to work.

Something that may use CAN-BUS might get mad if you don't have a BCM but not anything like this.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.