Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Factory Tstat and Control Point Question - 5.3L L83

Factory Tstat and Control Point Question - 5.3L L83

Guys, I see mixed info on the L83 stock tstat temperature. I see anything from 194F to 212F.

Trying to find a good control point without overdoing it. I am set right now to 205F and it seems to be able to control to it, but it is also cold out now. Not sure when the hotter weather comes how much that will work the fans.

Just looking for some feedback on what you guys do for the stock t-stat and really looking to find out what the factory set point is for it.

Thanks
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Factory is best in my opinion and it should be 194 degrees. There is even a table saying that in the VCM editor. Look for ECM 8056 Mech Thermostat. It says right there that it's fitted with a 194 degree thermostat. Atleast in the file I have it says that.

It's not going to over work the fans even in the summers, getting to 200-210 is not hot, like not even close. If something in the computer let temps get all the way to 230-240+ then something else is wrong.

From the 2012 I had to my 2016 now, there newer trucks run cooler than my non direct injected truck. I use to stay steady at 190-195 all the time cruising around and this newer truck is 180-190 almost all the time even when it was warm outside.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thanks!

Yes I saw that setting, that was one of the several numbers I got. I am new to these newer calibrations so i wasn?t sure how reliable that number was

winter, fan settings are stock
    summer, fan settings drop the axis values by the amount of degrees colder your thermostat is. (194 - 170 = 24 so lower your x axis by 24)

The L83/L86 stats seem to start to open at 194 and I have not measured one in a pot of water but...they don't seem to open all of the way until 205 or so. In the race rigs we have run 180s (and lower fan temps) with no problems but I have heard of people having problems with aftermarket stats on these. Probably safest to stick to stock for a daily driver.

Yes I am keeping it, was just looking for any feedback on a good target control temp with it. Thanks everyone!

Tuner in Training
    The factory stats are 207 with an opening at 194 it would appear. Desired ECT appears to ne 221. I lowered mine to 207 same as the stat. I also smoothed the Desired % for fan speed to come on with a higher percentage sooner. I believe it should be able to hold 207 without a problem in the summer.

Tuner in Training
    So I decided to be a little more aggressive with the fans, I set the Desired ECT to 200 and Desired % as shown, it seems to stay in the 198-208 range. We'll see with warmer temps. I might bring the fans Desired % up a little sooner.

Capture.PNG

With those settings (12% in the 192.2) you will have the fan on low below thermostat temp and full speed at about 217. The fan might run constantly on low even on a cold day. A hot day, sitting around with the AC on might hit 218 or 220 like that.

I usually let low speed start a few degrees above the opening temp of the thermostat then depending on the purpose of the vehicle add % to get to the top speed (48%) just below the highest temp I want. The table below establishes fan status/%.

Untitled.png

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    With those settings (12% in the 192.2) you will have the fan on low below thermostat temp and full speed at about 217. The fan might run constantly on low even on a cold day. A hot day, sitting around with the AC on might hit 218 or 220 like that.

I usually let low speed start a few degrees above the opening temp of the thermostat then depending on the purpose of the vehicle add % to get to the top speed (48%) just below the highest temp I want. The table below establishes fan status/%.

Untitled.png
    The factory config has the fans on at 192.2 at 10% so I merely brought them on faster. I've attached a picture of the stock config.

Capture.PNG

No. The chart I attached shows that they switch from 0>1 (from off to low) at 12%. The factory has 192.2 at 10% so not on yet. The factory has it finally hit 12 (turn on) at 212.

By switching your 192.2 to 12%....you are turning on the fan at 192.2. And because there is no way for the temp to get back down to 10% it won't be able to turn off based on temperature.

Tuner in Training
    Is there a guide to the Fan State Transition Desired so I can better understand?

I stared at the tables and drank coffee. Repeated. Repeated. Searched the forum. Read what everybody said. Drank more coffee. Repeated. Repeated.

GEN4 and GEN5 fan theory:
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ght=LS2%20fans
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...gs-Spreadsheet
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ht=fan+control

Don't follow their exact suggestions because there are different table. Some go from 192 to 196 while E92 goes 192 to 212. This reading is mostly for understanding the logic behind the newer systems.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ht=fan+control
    Higg's suggestion in post #6 might work well for you.

The table I posted shows at what percentage you will get each step of change in fan performance. Fan goes turns on low (1) at 12%, up to level 2 at 24%, level 3 at 36%, and level 4 at 48%. The table also shows at what % the fans will reduce speed.

Your temperature table is where you can tell it what percentage to command for each given temperature. The ECM will extrapolate between points.

Let's say you want the fan to come on low (0>1) at 202 degrees. The E92 table starts at 192.2 and goes straight to 212.... You can place a 10% under 192.2 and a 14% under 212. Halfway between 192 and 212 it will hit 12% and turn on low..... You can put an 11% under 192.2 so that it will reach 12% sooner as it goes above 192.2. Or a 9% at 192.2 would push the turn on point a bit closer to 212. I would not have the fan on too close to the thermostat's initial opening through, just wear out the fan without much cooling. You can put 48% all in by 212 if you want it to sound like a helicopter by 212. I would not do that with the factory thermostat as it does not give much gap between the thermostat's fully open temp and fan top speed (4). It might help to print out both tables and experiment with where you place the control points.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by IARLLC; 04-01-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I pulled a 2016 6.2 Corvette Stock Fan settings to compare, they are more aggressive I thought to duplicate them. The big difference is the zeroing out of the Fan State Desired % 0-1, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4

I'm guessing it that tells it to ignore that setting? Is that correct?

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG
    Last edited by scr71822; 04-01-2019 at 11:06 AM.

Have a look under Relay Controls > Output#1,#2,#3. Their method of control is way different. Their Desired ECT and Overide ECT are 221. Those settings are not very well related to your system. Better to look at one with more similarity to yours to get a grasp on the how and why of it all.

Something like Higgs suggested in the forum I posted will work pretty well for you.

Tuner in Training
    I'll keep looking. Thank You.

Sorry. I just realized that Higg's post was probably for a GEN4 with the milder rise from 192, 196, etc not like your 192.2, 212. That was not a good suggestion on my part.

Now I look back at the first one you posted and it has the milder rise from 192.2 to 196.1. while your second (stock) has the 192.2 to 212. Did you change the x axis somehow? If that is possible I would like to know.

I know that some guys go to a 2bar OS to get lower temp fan options. If they can just be changed in the tune life could be a bit easier.

Nevermind. It really is that easy. Happy to learn something useful today.
    Last edited by IARLLC; 04-01-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I've got a 180 Thermostat on order, but is currently backordered. But I will keep looking and trying to get a good picture of it all.

Tuner in Training
    I put the stock desired % settings back just to look closely to see what temperature it was running at. My truck was around 199 to 210, mostly in the low 200's. The fan never ran above 14%. The temp today is 50 degrees. I can see why they made it 207 for the sake of V4 mode.
    Last edited by scr71822; 04-01-2019 at 03:54 PM.

I run these race trucks with a 180 stat and kick the fan speed up pretty sharply after 192.2. They idle all day in 110+ degree weather even with the AC on (not my decision) at 193-194 with the fan on pretty low. Run them hard at high rpm in heavy sand at lower speed for a few minutes and they push right up to 205 with the fan screaming though. I have no issue letting them get warmer but the owner nearly cooked one of them when they first arrived (no fender ventilation, stock stat, no tuning, stupid junk blocking airflow, cats, etc, etc) so they get really anxious now if one goes over 210.

Most of his other L86 rigs still run a stock stat and see 130+ mph on a very regular basis. I don't see any durability issue with 225 degrees on them but lower under hood temps help with lower intake air temps and that is important to me.