Thread: Factory Tstat and Control Point Question - 5.3L L83

Factory Tstat and Control Point Question - 5.3L L83

Guys, I see mixed info on the L83 stock tstat temperature. I see anything from 194F to 212F.

Trying to find a good control point without overdoing it. I am set right now to 205F and it seems to be able to control to it, but it is also cold out now. Not sure when the hotter weather comes how much that will work the fans.

Just looking for some feedback on what you guys do for the stock t-stat and really looking to find out what the factory set point is for it.

Thanks
    2000 WS6 M6 (motorless.....and last thing I have done for tuning in 7 years)
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 (trying to learn all the new Gen 5 tables and methods)

Factory is best in my opinion and it should be 194 degrees. There is even a table saying that in the VCM editor. Look for ECM 8056 Mech Thermostat. It says right there that it's fitted with a 194 degree thermostat. Atleast in the file I have it says that.

It's not going to over work the fans even in the summers, getting to 200-210 is not hot, like not even close. If something in the computer let temps get all the way to 230-240+ then something else is wrong.

From the 2012 I had to my 2016 now, there newer trucks run cooler than my non direct injected truck. I use to stay steady at 190-195 all the time cruising around and this newer truck is 180-190 almost all the time even when it was warm outside.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

Thanks!

Yes I saw that setting, that was one of the several numbers I got. I am new to these newer calibrations so i wasn?t sure how reliable that number was

winter, fan settings are stock
    summer, fan settings drop the axis values by the amount of degrees colder your thermostat is. (194 - 170 = 24 so lower your x axis by 24)

The L83/L86 stats seem to start to open at 194 and I have not measured one in a pot of water but...they don't seem to open all of the way until 205 or so. In the race rigs we have run 180s (and lower fan temps) with no problems but I have heard of people having problems with aftermarket stats on these. Probably safest to stick to stock for a daily driver.

Yes I am keeping it, was just looking for any feedback on a good target control temp with it. Thanks everyone!