Thread: E38 Beginner help please

Potential Tuner

E38 Beginner help please

hello everyone, I am new to hp tuners. I am experienced in Harley tuning though. Its basically all speed density. I have been doing a lot of afm deletes on 1500 trucks. I have no problems with that really. I would like to learn how to tune the e38 pcm from start to finish though. I have successfully tuned a few maf curves on them. I do not however know how to go from start to finish on these pcms. I haven't really figured out the whole fueling and timing changes I need to make to the e38s. if anyone can provide links to other forum posts that would help me I would appreciate it very much.

If you are familiar with speed density tuning, why not just enable the custom os and tune the car speed density. Then you are back with your bread and butter. If you really want to tune the maf, you can plot a histogram against the maf and stft+ltft error or maf vs wideband afr error and dial in the maf. I just prefer speed density, I feel it gives me more control, faster response and better protection against surging at low rpms.

I'd leave the MAF, they work so seamless on the E38's.

Here is my take, the less you touch, the better off you will be. Only change what is required and what is required all depends on what you are doing. Like if you installed headers or camshaft, added a blower or turbo etc etc etc. All of those things require different things to be done. Without knowing what you did or are doing it's hard to just say do this or do that.

The E38 also didn't come in just the trucks, it came in cars and vans too. So the way you tackle certain items can be different there as well. What year E38 also makes a difference, older calibrations may have less tables compared to most after like 2009-2010 where the 6 speed auto's and VVT was basically standard among the fleets.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.