Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with this "FROST" tune

Tuner in Training

Need help with this "FROST" tune

Good morning, I had sent this PCM away for a mail order tune a couple years ago and finally tried to drive the truck today. It is NOT happy. Can hardly even get it out of my driveway. It was done by tunedbyfrost.com

Engine is a 2006 5.3 L33, Long tubes, 219/228 112LSA hot cam, and its been swapped into my 95 2wd truck. manual trans.

is there any way to know where to begin by just looking at the tune file?

*edit* managed to go for a small drive, ill include the scanner logs*
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by brianmcb; 12-09-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Frost is a solid tuner.... I’m sure you have something else going on! Didn’t look at tune, wrong computer

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    Good to know hes a memeber here. Last time I drove the truck was 2 years ago with just a stock tune with vats turned off, and it ran excellent

Advanced Tuner
    well right off the bat the fuel trims are all jacked up due to your o2 sensors not working correctly b1s1 works in one log (kinda) then doesn't in the other - same same with b2s1 and when they read they are pegged rich
    I don't know how the exhaust system is setup but maybe toss some new o2's in and see how it runs and get yourself a wide band sensor if you don't have one already and insure there aren't any exhaust leaks,intakes leaks and such

Tuner
    Well, off the bat, the LTFT Bank 1 are way rich and the LTFT bank 2 are way lean. If the O2 sensors are working right, then you've got a mechanical problem. You aren't logging a lot of data, someone else with more experience is going to have to chime in.

Ha! We posted the exact same thing at the same time!
    Peter Young

1966 LandCruiser FJ40 with 6.0l Gen 3 vortec and 4L80E.
    1984 LandCruiser FJ60 with 5.3l Gen 3 vortec, Magnusen supercharger, and 4L60E

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TCSS07 View Post
    well right off the bat the fuel trims are all jacked up due to your o2 sensors not working correctly b1s1 works in one log (kinda) then doesn't in the other - same same with b2s1 and when they read they are pegged rich
    I don't know how the exhaust system is setup but maybe toss some new o2's in and see how it runs and get yourself a wide band sensor if you don't have one already and insure there aren't any exhaust leaks,intakes leaks and such
    Thanks. I do have a wideband in it. its reading through the ac pressure sensor. Ive never messed with tunes before..all I can go on is that the truck ran fantastic on a stock tune, then poorly on this "mail order" tune. i'll check the o2 sensors i guess..
    the exhaust is long tubes, dual 2.5" pipe into a magnaflow muffler and dumped before the axle.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by workingdog View Post
    Well, off the bat, the LTFT Bank 1 are way rich and the LTFT bank 2 are way lean. If the O2 sensors are working right, then you've got a mechanical problem. You aren't logging a lot of data, someone else with more experience is going to have to chime in.

Ha! We posted the exact same thing at the same time!
    what other data would be helpful to log? sorry im very new to this stuff.

Double check for vacuum leaks and verify fuel pressure is 58psi.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you all for the helpful tips.

Tuner in Training
    I threw some new o2 sensors in it, made two logs right when i fire it up. didnt seem to help my situation lol. sprayed brake clean all over the intake while it was running to try find a leak..nothing. I pulled the intake now, gonna do new gaskets. Thinking Maybe I have a wiring problem someware.
    1995 rcsb c1500, 5.3L L33 swap, hot cam, long tubes, 5spd

Tuner
    Where is the LTFTs go? They are all zero. Did you disable them?
    Peter Young

Tuner in Training
    Yeah they are disabled in those logs. Only way I could get the truck back home yesterday was to keep resetting the LTFT in the scanner, so I just stopped and programmed them out instead.

Tuner in Training
    Quick question if anyone is still checking in on me....i found that I had my bank 1 sensor 1 pinned to the bank 2 sensor 1 spot on the pcm, and vice versa....would this have been my culprit?

Yep. The rich/lean corrections will be applied to the wrong banks....not the first one to do that.

Tuner
    YES! Fix that! God, I feel bad for the PCM.
    Peter Young

Advanced Tuner
    Yes it would ... good catch

Tuner in Training
    Right on! I'll fix that up. So one sensor measures how rich and the other measures how lean, is that correct ? And then adjusts accordingly?
    I would have thought they both had the same job. I'm still learning!

Thanks for all the help guys

No, they both do the same thing. They both read lean/rich on each sensor for 1 bank but you can't have the banks mismatched in the wiring or it will report back to the computer wrong.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    No, they both do the same thing. They both read lean/rich on each sensor for 1 bank but you can't have the banks mismatched in the wiring or it will report back to the computer wrong.
    very strange..but i'll go with it. Thank you very much!
    1995 rcsb c1500, 5.3L L33 swap, hot cam, long tubes, 5spd

If the banks are swapped, typically one side will read positive and other goes negative.. for sure fix that

If you want to diagnose how it runs.. command Open loop in scanner and take it for a drive

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C