Thread: LE5 E67 Auto to Manual VSS wiring

Tuner in Training

LE5 E67 Auto to Manual VSS wiring

I have a 2.4L LE5 installed in my 240sx with a T5 manual transmission. The PCM I have was from an automatic N/A Cobalt SS car.

The thing that's confusing me is that in various different E67 pinouts, there are THREE different possible pin positions for the VSS wires!? I currently have the VSS wired to C2 pins 18 and 19, which are listed as the pins that the VSS connects to in a manual trans Cobalt SS. However with this arrangement, I'm not seeing a signal either in the scanner or on the output speed wire. This makes me think I need to wire it to different pins. In the auto Cobalt SS the VSS is wired to C1 pins 16 and 41. BUT on the manual transmission Solstice, the VSS is wired to C3 pins 66 and 67.

Can anyone tell me for sure which VSS pins the PCM will actually get a signal on?? It seems like the TBSS version also expects the VSS on C3 66,67, which makes me think that's the one I should follow.

I just signed up here. I know this thread is old but did you get it figured out?

Tuner in Training
    I was going to do some more fiddling with it but I'm on a working holiday in Australia until next January so until then I won't have an opportunity to figure it out.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry, just saw this thread. You don't need a vss input for manual trans. We have done 1000+ of these. Think marine, sand cars, aircraft, etc all have no vss. PM me if you have Questions. Steve

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by EFIHARNESS View Post
    Sorry, just saw this thread. You don't need a vss input for manual trans. We have done 1000+ of these. Think marine, sand cars, aircraft, etc all have no vss. PM me if you have Questions. Steve
    You don't understand. I WANT a VSS because I'm using the 4k ppm output for my speedometer. I also wired the cruise control to the E67 the way it is on a TBSS even though I can't be sure it will work with the Ecotec tune until I get the VSS working. I realize that the engine will run and drive without it (and I had been driving the car for quite a while without)

Tuner in Training
    hey caffeine, just came across this thread. I'm in a similar situation where I have an e67 from an auto G6 that I'm going to use in a project car and want to hook up a VSS to it, were you able to get the speed signal read in the C3 66,67 pins?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by exninja View Post
    hey caffeine, just came across this thread. I'm in a similar situation where I have an e67 from an auto G6 that I'm going to use in a project car and want to hook up a VSS to it, were you able to get the speed signal read in the C3 66,67 pins?
    I won't have an opportunity to test until January at the earliest. If you are able to test though I'd love if you posted the results here

Tuner in Training
    A quick update. My application is an LE5 with a Miata trans which should have a 4k ppm VSS on it. The VSS wires are in C3 66,67. I get a speed through CAN, but it is less than 10% of actual. And that's where I'm at. I'm trying to mess with the setting in HP Tuners but nothing is working yet. If I get something figured out I'll try to remember to update here. I feel like there's something simple that I'm missing.
    The reason it was only reading 10% of actual is because the E67 normally gets about 40,000ppm from its stock VSS

Tuner in Training
    New update. The pulses per mile was not affecting the speed, but gear ratio and pulses per revolution did. I got the speed accurate but it feels like a kludge. It's starting unless there's a reason to change it.
    Probably the PPM setting is for the output wire (you can use one of the E67's outputs to drive a speedo). Basically what you did to adjust it is the proper way, not a kludge

Tuner in Training
    Just fyi I tried editing my posts from my phone but they ended up getting deleted.

Interesting, I'm just glad I got it working! I'm using a raspberry pi as my cluster which uses can data, so it's nice to have speed now.