Thread: bit off more than I can chew ...

Tuner in Training

bit off more than I can chew ...

Here's the deal ... my neighbors 2014 Ram 1500 suffered a cam/lifter failure . I offered to help him with the repair and he took the week off of work to get it done. We ordered a Comp cams 266 grind cam ( while we're in there might as well...) , phaser limiter , hellcat lifters, mds delete plugs , hellcat oil pump ,gaskets etc . and an HP tuner to disable MDS . I called Comp's tech line prior to ordering the cam to ask if this grind would need tuning to run and was told no " but it may have idle issues " well .... it's got idle issues !!!
    Today after getting the engine all buttoned up , I pulled the stock tune and the only change I made was to disable MDS . After installing the tune we fired the engine and it ran great until it warmed up and the rpms started to drop below 800 and then it would stall . I refired it after checking the engine physically for issues and will include that run file along with the tune for anyone who may want to help me with adjusting my tune for this cam.
    I am going to spend all night pouring over these forums reading other posts on what changes are required to the tune to get it to run reliably with this cam .
    I am an old fart and have done a zillion cam swaps , engine rebuilds etc. but this is the first time I've had to tune a vehicles computer so if anyone has dealt with tuning for this cam setup in an otherwise stock 5.7 hemi please gimme a hand getting this truck back on the road ... this is my neighbor's only transportation and he needs to get back to work. thanks in advance and here are those files . Rich
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    I'm still scratching my head , but I'm thinking its running rich according to the STFL data ... but I see a big difference in the voltage on the o2 sensors bank 1 vs. bank 2 bank 2 is steady but bank 1 oscillates wildly.
    again any input is appreciated .

Potential Tuner
    Did you look in the Tune Repository? 2 tunes in it with cam swaps you can compare to.

Tuner in Training
    I'll go look now ... thanks .

Potential Tuner
    I had to put in Dodge and 5.7 and leave out year and model to find them.

Tuner in Training
    I only see one file ... and he's got a cam and hellcat injectors ... downloaded it and I'm doing a comparison ...he's made LOT's of changes.

Tuner in Training
    I'll go look again ...leaving out model...

Tuner in Training
    got the engine to run today but it's super rich . still would appreciate advice .

Advanced Tuner
    you either need to start doing a bunch of reading and learn how to tune it or pay someone to do it. someone isn't just going to give a tune for your vehicle on here.

Tuner in Training
    Gee thanks Jay , that's helpful ... I reached for help tuning ...never asked for anyone to just gimme a tune . I posted files for anyone interested to look at and if they felt like helping I figured they would. I spent all night researching and managed ( by myself) to get the truck to run and drive today but unfortunately I do not have the luxury of time to play with this ... like I said this is my neighbors daily driver and he needs it to get to work Monday . So we did in fact contact a tuner who will be tuning the truck for us tomorrow.

Advanced Tuner
    Look into tuning it with the neural network off and logging the Fuel Trims relative to the VE Tables.

It?s not going to be easy if this is your first experience with tuning.

Tuner in Training
    thanks stevo , I appreciate the constructive advice . I'm happy to report that the truck is up and running ... running better than it ever has ! I contacted Jeremy Satera @ sateratuning and we worked on it Saturday . My neighbor got his truck back Sunday and drove it quite a bit and called me yesterday evening to report how happy he is with the truck. Now my neighbor has wheels to get to work this morning and I can get started on my 200ci inline six rebuild for a 66 Ranchero ... it's also getting a cam swap but I am confident in my ability to turn the damn distributor to tune it !

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by daddio View Post
    Gee thanks Jay , that's helpful ... I reached for help tuning ...never asked for anyone to just gimme a tune . I posted files for anyone interested to look at and if they felt like helping I figured they would. I spent all night researching and managed ( by myself) to get the truck to run and drive today but unfortunately I do not have the luxury of time to play with this ... like I said this is my neighbors daily driver and he needs it to get to work Monday . So we did in fact contact a tuner who will be tuning the truck for us tomorrow.
    I apologize man. I mistook your post. There are several threads recently regarding tuning the newer Dodge stuff with cams. I'll see if I can find a few of them.

Advanced Tuner
    Maybe your neighbor will let you mess around with his truck some more over time so that you can get it running even better. There's always an endless amount of optimization and revision that can be done.

Advanced Tuner
    I remember Chizzle1 tuning his own cam several months ago but these are the only links I found here, he may have some more on the ChallengerTalk forum.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...t-throttle-AFR
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-on-cold-start
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...uipped-setting

Here are some threads from the CT forum

https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...4=#post7841082
    https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...7=#post7435057

I have not read any of the links but they might contain some info to help you. I for one have not messed with cams...yet.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Jay apology accepted . Stevo Jeremy did disable NN and then tuned from there , I have the tunes and logs from our tuning session Saturday and by reviewing the changes made and seeing the effects in the log I expect I'll learn a little bit. I plan on purchasing another Ram truck to use as my work truck ... and I'm considering looking for a pre 2015 that has had the same type of cam failure so that I can get in cheap and make the same repairs I did on my neighbors truck . Maybe I'll be more prepared for tuning by then ... I'll also be purchasing a wide band ... thinking the AEM x-series one.
    Homer thanks for the links , I've got lots of studying to do ... but in the meantime , I'm going to go wrench on that nice little analog falcon six.

There is a low idle box on the idle page may help to adj that up to 650 or whatever the car wants ?