Thread: NBP "Unfortunately, TrackAddict has Stopped"

Potential Tuner

NBP "Unfortunately, TrackAddict has Stopped"

Hi I am trying to use NBP logging.
    I have 2 Android devices phone and tab. They both seem to crash like crazy any time I use NBP.
    they are both Alcatel

many times after I get green if I hit the i inside the cog button on first screen after I launch the app it will crash

Right now I have a very slow 10Hz update going. I would like 500hz or 1000hz.
    but it seems the app can't even do 10Hz without crashing..

When not crashing I can see the data in the heads up and I get green NBP

If I can only log super slow. I was thinking I might have to log local and only log to app once in a while.
    Then have to merge the data off line and use the sparse data to sync.

Is there any plans to be able to do this over WiFi? it seems the BT might be very brittle compared to WiFi.

Also it would be nice if there was a packet sent $something when it starts to record
    and $something when it stops
    also it would be nice to get a $"time of day" packit every so often so the NBP device could sync it's clock to the phone

packits example.
    #
    *NBP1,UPDATE,533.747
    "Battery","V":13.56
    "Wheel Height","mm":20.0
    #
    *NBP1,UPDATE,533.847
    "Battery","V":13.56
    "Wheel Height","mm":20.0
    #

Yes, WiFi mode for NBP devices is coming in the next app update, which will be available on the iOS version as well. I'll be looking into the crashing issue... Thank you for bringing that to our attention.

Potential Tuner
    updated 4.2.3 and it still crashes on all 3 devices
    I am excited to try the IP function.

added a new phone to the mix a samsung n910v . I will also try Iphone as soon as I figure out how the port thing works.

I tried adding a newline after each packit and turned the rate to 5hz but still crashing

BTW how does the new wifi work? I see it wants a ip and port maybe like telnet? have to experiment. Is there an example of what it wants on that port? I would like to try that and see if the crashing will go away. As as right now NBP is unworkable do to the app crashing. I am hoping with WiFi it will be workable.
    Is there anything I could be doing on my end? I never seem to crash the BT termel program.
    it seems to crash less then it did before or the 5hz might have something to do with it.

my packets look like this. (retyped from looking at the tablet screen using Serial Bluetooth Terminal)

*NBP1,UPDATE,101.434
    "Lidar","mm":310
    "Wheel Height","raw":105
    "File","log":48
    #

*NBP1,UPDATE,101.635
    "Lidar","mm":299
    "Wheel Height","raw":106
    "File","log":48
    #

Potential Tuner
    Good news the Wifi has not crashed yet

Wrote a small c program on my solaris box to blast a packit out at 10hz to standard out
    then used netcat
    nc -l -p 1234 -e ./NBP

on the phone set the ip to my solaris box:1234 and got green NBP
    I will have to check the rates and try faster speeds but so far it is rock solid.
    I will need to now do IP on my datalogger but this looks very good so far

Yup, the WiFi mode basically works the same as Bluetooth SPP mode, just using TCP/IP as the underlying protocol, so you'll have to give it the IP (IPv4 only at this time) and TCP port number... It makes a connection and then listens for the NBP data. The way it's written, it could potentially work for any TCP/IPv4 host, not just ones on the local network, so you could even stream race stats or other data from an Internet server if you desired.

I'm not sure why the Bluetooth mode was giving you so much trouble, as I still haven't been able to get it to crash for me here. I did see some crash reports from Google that may have been yours, but those appeared to be crashing somewhere inside the Android platform itself, so it's a bit unclear. I'm still keeping an eye out for possible causes...

Potential Tuner
    The BT was also very slow. The WiFi rocks it looks like I can log 1Khz data easy. I will need to put the logger in AP mode on the go but a small price for fast logging.
    My first test looks a bit odd but I might have a bug this is just a small test on my loger with fixed data to just debug the network stuff but I see dups on the time in the csv file
    I would expect a nice count every 1ms but this was a fast hack so I might have the rate off.

So far it seems to just work. I think I can nix the local logging and do away with the micro sd on the logger. and I do not have do any merging etc.
    It would be nice if there was some sort of a start packit when it starts recording might be useful to trigger say a unsuported cam.

I was thinking as phones are getting super cheap it would be nice if there was a way to have the app on more then one phone and have them sync the video so they record at the same time. So they would be in slave mode to the one on the dash you can reach. just a thought..

I have to say am very happy with WiFI NBP code it seems to solve all the problems.

Time

Tuner in Training
    posted new thread
    Last edited by moth4017; 12-15-2019 at 01:32 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Hi could you post your arduino code please.