Thread: FG XR6T engine into BA

Tuner in Training

FG XR6T engine into BA

Hi guys, appologies in advance as this will stray from the tuning side of things a bit. I figure there is a wealth of information here so it's worth asking.

Long story short, can I make an FG loom and ECU work with a BTR 4 speed without major headaches?

Short story long: I've got a dirty, grubby, off white BA wagon that serves me for daily duties, I've also got a complete, but smashed, FG XR6T ute. I'd like to combine the two in the easiest way possible. Now, I've spoken briefly to a mate of a mate who has actually done this conversion but can't get a hold of him now. He said he used the FG engine loom and ECU, but I'm curious as to if the BA body loom will plug into the FG computer and if it's going to run the BTR 4 speed. I had a quick look over the ECU pinouts and there looks to be a few things different. Although my mate was sure that when he undertook the conversion, he just plugged it all in and sent it somewhere for a reflash, no significant wiring was carried out.

ZF 6 speed conversion I've decided isn't going to happen as I can't be bothered changing over that much loom and that many components. I'd initially thought it was just the ABS module but further investigation tells me that it's just about every bit of wiring and module due to small differences in the loom etc

Seems the easiest way is to retain the BA loom, throttle body, coils and rocker cover, then use the FG long motor and turbo bits? I'd either need to adapt the BA throttle body to the FG inlet or use a complete BA inlet (I'm actually leaning towards the BA inlet, despite being a worse design, as I can hide the intercooler piping inside the air box and intake pipe making it slightly more sleeper-ish).

I'm sure I could get a loom made up but I'm trying to keep costs down. I've already got the BA and anything I want to raid off the FG is essentially free. So I'd like to avoid the four figure sum I've seen for a loom if I can make it work with the bits I've already got.

Any input from those who have carried this out would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Ben.

Advanced Tuner
    FG PCM wont run a BTR. you'd have to set the PCM up as manual and run the BTR manually switching the shift solenoids with 12V direct from a switch no modulation. some e series guys do this on junker builds rather than trying to tune the BTR with E series PCM.

I believe CAPA do an adapter plate to fit B series throttle body to FG inlet.

I also believe IDS wont pair the BA BCM to FG PCM either. which will cause ICC and imobilizer issues. it would have to be done as stand alone set up with the trans controlled manually or by separate controller. this would leave the BA with no "security" as far as BCM and key is concerned.

you can run a turbo engine off your BA N/A PCM though which would be far easier

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply. I decided to take the easy way out and just fitted the turbo to my existing motor. I used the XR6T map sensor and fuel pressure reg and flashed in a BA XR6T tune with PATS turned off, but it looks to be in limp mode. I haven't driven it yet but just started it on the hoist and noticed the PRND symbols would flash in the cluster. I threw it in gear and gave it some throttle, it didn't want to change gears. I'll start going through everything tomorrow and see if I can sort out why it's in limp mode.

Advanced Tuner
    From memory the XR6T map sensor fitted into a N/A engine and harness requires the wiring on that plug to be mirrored.

I would flash the N/A stock file back in as likely the file you flashed in is one with a processor code that doesn’t match.
    Just mirror MAP sensor wiring and turn on turbo logic on the stock N/A file. Tune from there and your issues should be solved.

If you’re set on using a turbo map to start from then get a turbo EVU and harness

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for your help, Luke. I scanned it quickly and it came up with ABS CAN communication error. I'd drawn the conclusion from this that my issues stem from using a sedan tune (IRS), and I should have used a ute tune, being live axle like my wagon. I have vague recollections of there being differences in the ABS system because of this.

That said, I'm all about taking the easy way out. I had a look through my NA tune and couldn't find anything to scale the map sensor. What's my best approach for this? Or do you leave it all and tune it to suit, just with the numbers reading different from what they actually are?

edit - just started it up and scanned it, map sensor appears to be working correctly with stock wiring configuration.
    Last edited by Ben.; 12-22-2018 at 05:47 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    attach your tune

if you use the 2 bar xr6 T map sensor and enable turbo logic it should work

Advanced Tuner
    with the map sensor, the actual wiring and plug orientation is the same for na or turbo, but the map sensor itself has flipped pin numbering.
    map sensor wiring referencing.jpg

the trans will be in limp mode as your speedo settings wont be correct. copy all the speedo settings from the standard na tune then disable VID block.
    the only options are abs, traction control (still an abs module, just a different abs board/software) and outputshaft speed.
    it'll just be because the xr6t tune likely has traction control in the VID block, wagon will be abs.
    I've found bf and fg are a little more picky with abs module/pcm config mismatches, ba didn't have as many trans and model options that would impact the software of each module in the car.

also, the ba+ btr has a completely different valvebody and solenoid operation compared to the e-series box.
    the eseries box has only 2 shift solenoids (1st to 4th is selected with s1/s2, s2, none, s1), 2 pre shift softeners, a main line pressure solenoid, a solenoid to reduce line pressure for light throttle and a lockup solenoid.
    you can run them fine by controlling just the s1/2 solenoids, but the shifts are very firm and fast.

the ba box still has 7 solenoids but all s1-s6 work in combination, theres no specific shift solenoids so they need a module to be controlled.
    an eseries box can be run with a rotary switch and 2 relays lol.

fitting any ecu from one model to another is hugely labor intensive and a massive headfuck to try and wrap your head
    around, its almost always the better option to modify factory wiring/tunes to suit.
    Last edited by misk; 12-25-2018 at 06:58 AM.