Thread: Did I brick my ECM?

Did I brick my ECM?

I have a 2012 Silverado 5.3L truck that has a 6.0L (2007 LY6) installed. I have the donor engine PCM as well, which I installed in the truck and read out along with the stock 5.3L computer tune. To make things simple, I licensed both PCM's, loaded up donor trucks' 6.0L tune file, and did a write entire on only the engine section, not the TCM.

Now, the truck starts and runs with the 6.0L setup. Next up, I was going to start working the tune for the truck (populating the E fan's/ect). Upon trying to do a calibration only write, I am unable to, at first I kept getting a controller unlocker timeout, then now it says I do not have a license for the ECU. Upon closing the file out, and doing a Gather Info, there is no VIN listed.....only a string of characters. In an attempt to go back with the stock 5.3L file, I loaded it up and attempted a write entire and calibration only reflash, and am unable.

So, now i'm stuck. I went ahead and did a full readout, thinking ok maybe I can just spend 2 more credits so I can at least get access to the PCM and then write it back stock, as i'm thinking perhaps this OS (donor truck ECU) is not valid to be written on here for some reason. When I try that route, it will read out the funky VIN tune, but then says the file is tuner locked.......

So essentially now i'm stuck, I cannot write to the PCM due to the funky characters in the VIN field, and it saying the file I read out now is locked somehow....

I'm wondering if me trying to do a write entire on only the ECM with the 6.0L program is what did it......everything was fine up until then.

I have a ticket in to support, so hopefully some help when they get back into office there, but also appreciate any help from members here to get up and going.

Thank You!
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Greetings 96gt4.6! Welcome to the bowtie side I learned a lot of EB tuning info from your posts on the other side. THANKS!

It seems to me that there is a chance you are trying to write to the PCM with FPCM. Back when the FPCM was not available it was no issue but several of us (myself included) had similar situations when suddenly (accidentally) we were trying to write to an unlicenced FPCM. I hope that is all that is wrong.

You're certainly welcome! Can't take credit for all of that though, I had a lot of help myself on many things, but certainly am happy that we all could share and learn on the EB's!

When I was reading out the truck, I chose not to read out the FPCM as I have no need to flash it in this instance. Unfortunately.......it seems as if on the E38 processor they are VERY picky and known to have OS incompatibility issues, unlike the old generation of PCM. Indeed, I believe I have bricked this PCM by trying to write an OS onto it that is NOT compatible as per this chart:

http://content.efilive.com/documents...ty%20Guide.pdf

The truck (2012 5.3L 1500) had an OS# of: 12653249

The OS# I did a write entire with on the stock PCM above was: 12622161

On the above chart, those are listed as incompatible and potential to brick the ECU. It still starts and runs, but the VIN is all weird characters and I cannot read, nor write it any longer, however it can communication and shows scanner data.

I can source a salvage ECU for a 2010+ and knowing what OS's interchange now will help, but my next question is can I simply install/license the new ECU and do a write entire and be back to square one with the original OS, or does a new ECU install require a trip to the dealer to have it fully programmed? I had read that it's possible when using HP it does not write all areas of the ECU, and possibly just putting in a used one with a write entire may not work.

Thank you all for the help and educating me on this.
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw