Thread: LS3 Heads/Cam Tune WOT

Potential Tuner

LS3 Heads/Cam Tune WOT

Hello im new to the forum however I have been using hptuners for a year or so now mainly for datalogging my ls3 camaro ss which I recently did a heads and cam package from TSP I got a mail order tune from them which work fine on partial and wot driving but the problem is im just not happy with my time slips at the track. it has a stock intake manifold with ported stock TB, 1-3/4 headers and adm race cold air intake, br7 ngk plugs. the heads are stock casting but port n polished double valve spring with a tsp stage4 cam 235/248 duration, my car is automatic with a 3800 stall 3.91 gears, rear subframe bushings, diff cover and diff bushings, bmr lower control arms and toe arms, racestar drag setup 17in slicks in rear 28x10. the car leaves good but im only trapping 113mph at 1320ft with a 1.7-1.6 60ft. I have spoken to many tuners but don't really have the funds to pay for a custom tune but I do have a date set until January 16th for dyno tune until then I wanna see if there is room for improvement in the tune in it now. I have datalogs and tune I can attach or send to anyone who can help I would greatly appreciate it.

ep race 2 - Copy.hplep test run 1 na.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Could you post a little more about your runs? 330 660 1/8Times, mph, and also post your tune? What fuel are you using? Tr7 seems like too cold a plug as well... what was the DA on your run? Also, just looked at your log... Needs a fuel pump if I were to guess. Fuel pressure dips awful low. Do you have a wideband? Usually see .890-.905 O2 readings when up around 12.8 AFR not at 12.46 commanded. Need to log injector duty cycle also. Without the tune, there is only so much to suggest, but fuel is definitely a problem.
    Last edited by cfry; 12-16-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Hello cfry, thanks for the response I’m currently at closed road drag racing event if u could help me out I’m about to post the tune file and I will make sure injector duty cycle is logging as well and yes I do have a wideband afr gauge.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic_STM_830 View Post
    Hello cfry, thanks for the response I?m currently at closed road drag racing event if u could help me out I?m about to post the tune file and I will make sure injector duty cycle is logging as well and yes I do have a wideband afr gauge.

Victor Mendoza TSP (1) shift points-2 afr 12.5, 12.3.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    disable burst knock retard completely, disable enrich desoot mode in the fuel section and disable fast torque exit switches and max values. max brake torque management table and disable the switch.

your trans file is crazy. your shift speeds for full throttle don't match in the "normal" table 100%TPS axis and in the full throttle shift speed. your log shows a massive difference between the full throttle shift speed and RPM you're asking for. the full throttle shift RPM needs to match the speed for that gear.
    your converter TCC apply/release section needs work too. it makes no sense. I would also zero the DOD slip tables even with the switch off.

your log shows a reduction in MAP at full throttle increasing with RPM. you have an intake restriction somewhere which will be hurting power and MPH. start simple by ruling things out as the restriction starting with the air filter

your 3>4 shift in the ep race 2 log is horrendous. it shows a big RPM flare right after what looks like an attempt to engage the TCC. the flare makes the PCM to remove all the timing to control the flare as you've selected "no throttle" method of flare torque management in the trans. that removes enough power for the trans to grab the gear and engage the TCC before getting the timing and power back.

the flare or loss of drive and the reduction of power to correct that will cost time and MPH.

I would zero the desired slip tables under DOD also.

I would strongly advise you unlock the TCC full time and WOT and use the data logger to log Engine RPM, trans input rpm, turbine speed, converter slip, ETC torque management, TCC commanded position etc etc.

using that data should allow you to study when, if at all in a pass you can engage the TCC. engaging the TCC with decent converter slip or speed difference between engine and trans will kill the clutch. even worse in a heavy car.

data is king. set some PIDS and get more during a pass. I would sort that 3>4 shift flare out soon though or you wont have a trans left
    Last edited by lukearmstrong1990; 12-17-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you lukearmstrong1990 for the help I appreciate your responses. I have already adjusted the tune for disabling burst knock and fuel enrich desoot also zeroed out dod slip tables. How do I work out the kinks in the tcc apply/release tables? I guess I will start by datalogging some new data with the new pids u stated to create. Also my max pressure for tcc solenoids should be set at what max amount of ft lbs I believe it was set at 900 or so.

Advanced Tuner
    to start with I would disable the TCC all together until youre on top of the trans file.

sett all apply speeds to max values and all release speeds to 5-8mph less than max. do this for all TCC tables including WOT and TUTD tables.

you'll never get the TCC to lock with huge converter slip without wrecking the clutch. use data to work out in what gear and what load and what road speed converter slip is minimal. that's where you are able to lock the TCC without a problem. if that never occurs at WOT then youre converter isn't up to the task and i'd advise running it unlocked at WOT all the time

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by lukearmstrong1990 View Post
    to start with I would disable the TCC all together until youre on top of the trans file.

sett all apply speeds to max values and all release speeds to 5-8mph less than max. do this for all TCC tables including WOT and TUTD tables.

you'll never get the TCC to lock with huge converter slip without wrecking the clutch. use data to work out in what gear and what load and what road speed converter slip is minimal. that's where you are able to lock the TCC without a problem. if that never occurs at WOT then youre converter isn't up to the task and i'd advise running it unlocked at WOT all the time
    I see! I will start with that like u said thanks for the information you guys are great!
    After I get the tcc to remain unlocked at all times and get shift points good. I?m curious to my power/air flow restriction unless it?s fuel related. My car needs help on the wot tune for power ennrichment I never see knock and I do have afr gauge.

Advanced Tuner
    you need to work out what the restriction is. pulling back into vacuum at WOT will hurt power

First thing you need to do is work out which parameters are worth logging and which aren't, that log file has a lot of useless info but is missing the important stuff.
    If you have a wideband make sure you include that in any logs, its much easier for people to help you if they have all the information needed to give you advice.
    I wouldn't be too worried about your inlet restriction at this point, your baro is 97-98, your MAP is reading 92 at its lowest so there is a gain there but for now you'll gain a lot more from fixing your other issues.
    Your fuel pressure dropping is something you should be looking at, going lean will destroy an engine very quickly.
    What fuel are you running? you have a lot of spark through peak torque but aren't seeing any knock.
    Is that log file an actual track run? Because I don't see 113MPH there?
    Regardless I think its your WOT gearshifts that are letting you down, as well as sorting your TCC issues, turning trans torque management back on would be a good place to start, your trans will thank you and the car will be faster.
    Your part throttle shift speeds at 100% don't match your WOT shift speeds for normal and A pattern, which pattern are you using when racing?
    In my opinion you're also trying to make it shift too quickly for a Camaro, unless the car's been significantly lightened?
    These transmissions change gears based on road speed and the shift will take a given period of time, so to get your gear changes where you want them its a little trial and error and anything that changes the rate of acceleration with throw it off requiring an adjustment, if you log the trans pressures you'll see the gearshift begins long before peak RPM is reached.
    6700 limit seems kinda low for that size cam, I would think it should make power well into the 7000s if your valve train is built to swing that high?
    I have attached a log of my car to give you an idea what sort of things to log at the strip and what your gear changes should look like.
    The car is a 2010 Commodore ute with and LS3, only mods are OTR, 4 inch MAF, 3.46 gears and a tune, on 26 inch drag radials, it runs consistently between 112 and 114 MPH, race weight is spot on 4000lbs.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2010 GXP Maloo ute, LS3, 6L80E.
    MM heads, 240/252@50 solid cam, 12.75:1 compression, 4500 Dominator converter, 3.46 rears.
    Shooting for 10s eventually.