Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Wideband Should i Get

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtal0n View Post
    Bravo *claps hands* this is the first direct comparisons I've ever seen. thank you so much for doing this.

observations
    -The controller is the issue. Its simply a programming thing. Innovative can't afford a team of amazing programmers... AEM has them basically on stand by, designing standalone and meth system etc

-not sure I would say Innovative is more 'reliable' than AEM... what is that based on... Sure it can be reliable but is it "MORE" reliable than AEM? idts as its mostly the same hard parts

-not sure the innovative being 'calibrateable' is such a good thing either, iirc its for wear/tear compensation and maybe altitude related... imo a gimmick since AEM take it anywhere and it lasts 10 years or w/e. and its such a hassle once the sensor is in the car and used, and then you aren't sure "is it calbrated right?" Hmm IDK Stop and check the plugs... Hmm Still cant really tell.. okay change the sensor change the plugs... lets go again... oh dear lord...
    Didn't mean to say innovative is more reliable. Is was my experience with the innovative. I put in the wrong section. Just reading over my post I have a ton of grammar errors so please excuse. I'm using my phone. I'm going to post up some pictures of my tables when I get back home to the computer.

Makes sense on the controller though. I really don't have any basis for my statement on calibrating the sensor. It just made me feel better lol. I know it's unrelated but I know Maxxforce diesel engines had to have the lamda sensor calibrated before installing. If you installed it without calibrating it would read different ranges. Thinking back though, this was only a one time thing per replacement and it is a maxfotce.

No problem either. It was a lot of fun and gave me something to do while I wait on the Ford's cams to come back from the machine shop.

Advanced Tuner
    Sensor calibration ( Or, "Free Air Calibration" ) is a mixed bag. The AEM controllers can do it , too. But, I, generally, don't recommend it, unless the sensor has drifted significantly. But, how do you know that ? I think I put the procedure here, in another thread a while back. As far as I am aware, the X-Series AEM widebands are the only ones that can properly test the sensor calibration.

I tune for a living and have replaced more Innovate sensors and controllers than I want to admit (all of them were properly installed). This was true with all the models from LC-1 to the newest LM-2 and LC-2. Old AEM products gave roughly the same results.
    I tried the AEM X-Series and found them to be a lot more reliable than innovate and older AEM. Analog interface is flawless, CAN interface even better.
    Since I was sick of calibrating sensors and analog outputs to make them match the display and HPT I stopped buying Innovate's crap. I have been using only AEM products and not a single one has failed. Very happy with them.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Billf6531 View Post
    Just another data point.

I've used the Spartan2 for quite a few years. https://www.14point7.com/

Dynojet sells a cylinder of test gas to confirm the accuracy of a wideband. The shop I do some tuning at has a tank of it. I used to test the w/band each time I used it. Never varied in accuracy. I no longer test it each time. The transform for the Spartan2 is the PLX settings.
    Still happy with 14point7?

Absolutely. When I bought it, I was anxious due the the poor performance of the LC-1, so I called Alan (the developer) and question him regarding accuracy. He said he would test the 2 units he would send me with test gas, and supply the test result. The performance on the worst unit was .003% error. Can't improve on that, especially with no calibration required, and very inexpensive as well.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    I tune for a living and have replaced more Innovate sensors and controllers than I want to admit (all of them were properly installed). This was true with all the models from LC-1 to the newest LM-2 and LC-2. Old AEM products gave roughly the same results.
    I tried the AEM X-Series and found them to be a lot more reliable than innovate and older AEM. Analog interface is flawless, CAN interface even better.
    Since I was sick of calibrating sensors and analog outputs to make them match the display and HPT I stopped buying Innovate's crap. I have been using only AEM products and not a single one has failed. Very happy with them.
    I agree, AEM's seem to be the best of all i've tried too.

Some analog out gauges seem to have a issue. I haven't been able to track it down but there are times were the gauge will read fine but voltage will remain pegged low. Sometimes taking the gauge right to the battery or alternator fixes it.. Sometimes deleting the pid from the scanners channel list and re adding it seems to fix it.

I have 2 AEM analog 30-0300 for older cars and both do this. I can go months without it doing it and I can have it happen every day of the week. It's so frustrating. AEM support has been unhelpful.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs