Thread: Tuning with no knock sensors

Tuner in Training

Tuning with no knock sensors

I noticed with my ram 2004 it doesn't have knockers how do I tune for knock I did a couple test and noticed with 87 fuel anything over 10 degrees gave me a dtc for p02311 .I had finished the run checked connection just in case reset dtc same code came back on when wot is approached.so I pulled 5 degrees out of my tables and did the same pulls, And didn't get any dtcs so my question is,is this my trucks way of sayin to step up the octane. And there wasn't any loud enough of knock for me to notice with the ten degrees but I did notice a rough idle a bit even at warm.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Babyocho View Post
    I noticed with my ram 2004 it doesn't have knockers how do I tune for knock I did a couple test and noticed with 87 fuel anything over 10 degrees gave me a dtc for p02311 .I had finished the run checked connection just in case reset dtc same code came back on when wot is approached.so I pulled 5 degrees out of my tables and did the same pulls, And didn't get any dtcs so my question is,is this my trucks way of sayin to step up the octane. And there wasn't any loud enough of knock for me to notice with the ten degrees but I did notice a rough idle a bit even at warm.
    You sure about that (not having knock sensors)?

Tuner in Training
    I checked under my intake manifold and didn't see anything and they are disabled in my stock dtc file .

Tuner in Training
    Nothing under the exhaust manifolds either . Its a 4.7 magnum and the kr pid isn't an available option on the scanner either it's really strange.

Tuner in Training
    here is a highway pull , i only have 5 degrees in the timing tables with higher octane fuel at the end of the pull it threw the same dtc
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Pay somebody else lol . If you?re tuning for knock than just stop .

Tuner in Training
    I'm not tuning for knock I'm actually trying to double check that I might have to install after market knock sensors in the future because my afr is reasonable on my wideband at idle ,wot , and p/t and there is no noticeable sounds But before I continue to I'd like to make sure there isn't anything in my tune that's causing it which is why I was sharing it not because I needed some jack off to give me an opinion thats irrelevant to my tune . Obviously once it surpasses tune inspection from some one with common sense clearly not you I will start checking my spark plugs , boots, etc because it would have to be mechanical.thanks tho for your suggestion😂

Advanced Tuner
    Not to sound like a broken record, but are you sure your 4.7 did not come with knock sensors? According to the Chilton manual the 4.7s should have them.

https://www.roswell-nm.gov/1112/Chil...Repair-Library

Tuner in Training
    I am calling the dealer that the truck was originally purchased from in 04 to see if maybe they know what the hell is going on here . Its odd that there's nothing there and they are disabled in both my spark section and dtc file in the stock file

Tuner in Training
    That's a cool link , but im positive man I did a head gasket and timing job and didn't see them in or around the block on any side but I did see tapped threads in both locations

I know this is OLD , but I was wondering if the truck was a 4.7 5 speed(Manual) I picked up a parts truck to day, an 05 4.7 6speed(M) pulled the intake manifold off and noticed that there are no knock sensors....now some where along this trucks 16 some odd year history they may of been removed... just curious

Tuner in Training
    only the 4.7 ho had knock sensors. want to tune with no knock sensors? you'll need to use your ears, and do multiple timed runs 30-80mph or whatever. or use a dyno , and advance the timing untill it stops getting faster/makeing more power, or until you hear pinging.
    once you find the sweet spot, back it off a few deg for some safety margins.

a dyno would be the best too to figure out what timing makes the most hp. when you go to far with the timing it'll start making less hp.
    start with the stock timing curve, and add it in small amounts at a time.