Thread: Misfire Fault and 2.7 Eco

Misfire Fault and 2.7 Eco

I've encountered this with my tuned 2.7 Eco only a few times (about 2-3) where I went WOT and it would no longer shift, causing me to bang into the limiter. I'd manually use the paddles but none of the gears would engage. It would eventually regain control. This time, my check engine light flashed and FordPass sent me a message saying there was a misfire fault.

Any ideas? It didn't seem to matter whether it was a cold start, warm re-start, or fully warmed up.

The trucks have the biggest problem with condensation getting forced in under abrupt boost but it affects all EBs. The truck guys all seem to agree that a 1/16th hole on the lowest point at or near the outlet of the intercooler is the best resolution to the condensation caused misfires. Sure seems better than Fords answer (blocking airflow from a large section of the intercooler). There have also been coil issues and coil boot issues and cracked plugs and many leaning toward .28 or .3 gap on the plugs.

Cold start mis seems to be related to Ford's cold start timing retard (for cat warming I guess). I have not had a chance to research it fully. That is why I ventured back over here today

I am not EB expert but I do have one really happy Xsport customer because of all the good stuff I learned on hear from you and a few others. THANKS! Hoping the timing will resolve his cold start mis. Will know in the morning.

Late update:
    Adding spark to the cold start areas on the Engine>Spark>Advance>Base>Emissions Reductions>Adder, Base Drive, Base Neutral totally got rid of the cold start rumble/misfires. This Winter had much smoother mornings.

With the colder weather here, I've been fighting a cold miss in the mornings and once n while during the day if it sits long enough the cool down. Most I see far as misses go is 6 or 8 at start up, but I,ve also seen as many as 30. I,ll play with the cold start timing and see what that does, let you guys know if it cures the miss or not.

I've been working on this over the past couple of weeks. I ended up drilling a weep hole for the intercooler and replaced all of the spark plugs with NgK ruthenium gapped to a very tight 0.028.

Prior to this I'd get like 34 plus misfires on cyl 6 with some on random other cylinders. Sometimes after WOT itd stall when I came to a stop, or would shudder badly in 6th gear. Now everything seems fine except I still see quite a bit of oil come out of the intercooler.

I,m gonna put one in mine here real soon, I had planed on going to the shop yesterday, but got tied up with something else. I think I,m gonna make a day of it, need to drain the coolant and replace it with yellow anyways since I'll have the lower shield off. Not to mention all the other stuff I need to do, LOL. Alignment, switch the TPMS sensors so that works and I stop getting the warning in the dash all the time, LOL. General look over before the snow flies kind of stuff.