Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Altitude Tuning For Haze

High Altitude Tuning For Haze

Hey folks. 04.5 with 5" exhaust, aftermarket turbo, no cat, CAI, BD lift pump. I live up at about 9600ft. I am trying to tune out some of my Exergy BMS 50hp injector hazing. I know these injectors are sort of notorious for haze, however they are clear as can be at sea level. I feel like if they are that good at sea level and warmer temps, there should be a way to get them similar with some tuning at altitude. I have upped my timing in the idle ranges, tried an extremely slight pulse reduction, tried open and closed air box theory. They aren't problematic, as the truck runs and starts perfect, balance rates are all within spec, injectors test great, no oil in fuel, new head gasket not leaking anything anywhere. I have about 7000 miles or so on the injectors.
    Last edited by Noah; 12-17-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Banned
    Try upping your rail pressure some, little bit at a time till it clears, put your pulse width table back to stock.

Potential Tuner
    Ok. Ill try that. Thanks.

That did not help.

Banned
    Post up your tune you currently have loaded

Here is a tune that worked pretty decent. Basically smoothed rail press and timing maps. I brought RP back to normal as I did not like the way it was starting to sound. I would love to hear some opinions on how to gain more boost at this altitude as well. I only see 30 psi on my gauge. I see close around 40 psi with a stock tune at sea level. I think there is only so much one can do up this high as the smoke always becomes a factor.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    50HP BMS/Exergy Injectors
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,
    turbosmart ext wastegate,
    BD lift pump with 2 mic filter and h2o separator,
    banks intercooler, Banks intake horn,
    slightly built tranny.......

John Allen Trial 2250 ME 7.hpt

Give that a shot. Do you know how to compare the file to copy everything over? And to get more boost you're going to need a lot more fuel. You're barely scratching at stock power with your tune honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom_c13b View Post

Give that a shot. Do you know how to compare the file to copy everything over? And to get more boost you're going to need a lot more fuel. You're barely scratching at stock power with your tune honestly.
    Ill check it out. My biggest hurdle though, is the 10000ft elevation and the slower spooling aftermarket turbo. I need to be careful as smoke happens quickly up here. I know how to compare, but not copy over.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,

Banned
    My built 05 I had, 64/65/13 turbo, 120hp injectors, 85% over cp3 and much more had no haze and very little smoke running in the higher elevations in Arizona, wasn?t quite 10,000, 6000-8500 feet was the operating elevations I was at

Banned
    I?ll see if I can find the tune I was using on it, wasn?t dialed in on the upper end though. I?ll have to post up changes I made on excel sheet, my platform of choice isn?t HPT and don?t have a license for it

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    I?ll see if I can find the tune I was using on it, wasn?t dialed in on the upper end though. I?ll have to post up changes I made on excel sheet, my platform of choice isn?t HPT and don?t have a license for it
    That would be awesome to see.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,

How are your smoke levels on this tune? Timing rattle?
    2004.5 Cummins.
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,

I also see you got rid of the post event. I assume that is why a lot of your numbers are so far off from mine. How does it run without the post injection? I dont want to sacrifice reliability and dont want it to be any louder. I dont need a hot rod, I just want a reliable moderately powered truck. Are you running this at any sort of altitude?
    2004.5 Cummins.
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,

There is almost no smoke at all on that tune and no rattle. That is by far one of the most refined tunes you will ever get for free on these forums. To do a direct copy, you will need to the compare tab, then view comparison log, then you can right click where is says engine, and copy over all differences. If you just try to copy a few of the tables you will end up with a tune that isn't well balanced. I have not run this tune at 10,000ft mostly sea level up to around 5,000ft. It's still nice and clean there.
    You certainly don't have to run this tune but you were asking for help so I decided I'd throw out one of my tunes for you to look at or use.

There is almost no smoke at all on that tune and no rattle. That is by far one of the most refined tunes you will ever get for free on these forums. To do a direct copy, you will need to the compare tab, then view comparison log, then you can right click where is says engine, and copy over all differences. If you just try to copy a few of the tables you will end up with a tune that isn't well balanced. I have not run this tune at 10,000ft mostly sea level up to around 5,000ft. It's still nice and clean there.
    You certainly don't have to run this tune but you were asking for help so I decided I'd throw out one of my tunes for you to look at or use.
    Oh yeah its awesome that you shared that! I was only questioning so I have the details before uploading an unknown tune. I might give it a shot. Mine runs way different at 5000ft vs 7000ft. At sea level this thing runs ridiculous awesome without any smoke, haze, etc. Everything gets crazy at alt. I got the copy thing figured out. Ill let you know if I get it loaded and see how it goes. Any noticiable differences with post inj. off? MPG? Cleaner oil?
    2004.5 Cummins.
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,

The post injection is primarily there for emissions purposes. It does come in handy for spooling large chargers on occasion but I never use it. Even on really big singles, think 96mm+ T6 chargers for pull trucks. Still don't use it in that application. I know that some other tuners do, I just don't see the need.

What size turbo do you have on your truck?

The post injection is primarily there for emissions purposes. It does come in handy for spooling large chargers on occasion but I never use it. Even on really big singles, think 96mm+ T6 chargers for pull trucks. Still don't use it in that application. I know that some other tuners do, I just don't see the need.

What size turbo do you have on your truck?
    s300sxe 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R

I. Just recently went from the. 91 turbine to the. 83. Helped in lower end, but hurt top a bit.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,

You try the tune yet?

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for sharing your work Dom!

You try the tune yet?
    Negative. Weather has been crap. I usually wait for dry roads to tune
    2004.5 Cummins.
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,