Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Altitude Tuning For Haze

Quote Originally Posted by Dom_c13b View Post
    You try the tune yet?
    Im gonna give this tune a go in the morning. Ill let you know how it goes.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    50HP BMS/Exergy Injectors
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,
    turbosmart ext wastegate,
    BD lift pump with 2 mic filter and h2o separator,
    banks intercooler, Banks intake horn,
    slightly built tranny.......

Dom, I tried your tune. Well done sir. I need to figure out how to get rid of some smoke at about 1800-2000 rpm under light load, sort of lugging but not quite. It is a spot where my turbo hates to spool. Attached is my version copied to my truck and log file.Thanks buddy! This is the best tune yet. Any help with reducing some smoke would be welcome. I am not sure where to start with that. One thing I think I need to alter is the low density timing since I am at 10k ft altitude. Currently all charts are the same on timing and rail pressure. Also attached is a pic of the area where smoke appears to be heavy.

Awesome Tune-Some Smoke-Power.hpt
    Forum Tune Awesome, but smoke at 1800.hpl
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Noah; 12-30-2018 at 11:34 AM.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,

Banned
    See if you can get your main pulsewidth down a little bit in that spot, maybe 100-150us might do the trick. A little bump up in rail pressure in that spot. In that rpm region I usually find right around 1050us of duration to be the threshold of when smoke starts to come in, if the turbo isn?t moving enough air yet

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    See if you can get your main pulsewidth down a little bit in that spot, maybe 100-150us might do the trick. A little bump up in rail pressure in that spot. In that rpm region I usually find right around 1050us of duration to be the threshold of when smoke starts to come in, if the turbo isn?t moving enough air yet
    Gonna be a week till i can mess with it again. Ill let you know how it goes. It does seem to haze less.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,

Boost Limit A is where you want to play with to get smoke down in that area. If you look at the tune, I've got a bit of a bump up there. That specific tune the person was looking for more lugging power in that range and his turbo spooled pretty quick so I was able to add fueling that way.
    You can also look into making the adjustments that JimP suggested, that will also help.
    You should also take a look at the pilot timing table. I start to drop pilot timing off in the 1800rpm range, if that's where you're starting to notice smoke, make the pilot timing tables 18* accross the board, don't drop it off like I have there and see how that affects the smoke. It might clear it up for you.
    Glad you're liking the tune overall though.

Dom, did you ever see a dyno from the tune you sent me? This truck has crazy power now. I changed pilot to 18 across the board. Seems slightly better on smoke. It actually seems to have bumped up the power as well. My lieometer mpg overhead went up a bit. Gonna be interesting to see if mpg actually increases with the truck working less hard. Thanks again!

I have not had that tune on the dyno. Honestly it's just scratching the surface of power on these trucks. I would consider this a tow tune. There is probably another 150hp to be had with just tuning alone. Glad it's going well for you.

No luck getting rid of the smoke. Trying different things. What exactly does the part throttle gov do? If disabled will it still pull from the part throttle charts?
    2004.5 Cummins.
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,

Tuner in Training
    Interesting as this tune pulled decent in my truck, smoked a tad from about 1000 through about 2000. When I adjusted with what Dom suggested it cleared right up. However, I?m at pretty close to sea level and my truck is nearly stock.

Hope you don?t mind that I borrowed your tune Dom as I am learning and wanted a comparison tune.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    No luck getting rid of the smoke. Trying different things. What exactly does the part throttle gov do? If disabled will it still pull from the part throttle charts?
    Is the part throttle Governor even enabled in your ecm? Every sample tune I?ve looked at on here, even some stock base files I?ve received from others it wasn?t enabled. I?ve never played with it myself. Do wonder if the hybrid governor is having some affect for you with the smoke at your altitude. Hybrid governor is only accessible through user defined parameters though.

[QUOTE=Wgluv2hunt;554908]Interesting as this tune pulled decent in my truck, smoked a tad from about 1000 through about 2000. When I adjusted with what Dom suggested it cleared right up. However, I?m at pretty close to sea level and my truck is nearly stock.

Yeah, my truck runs stellar at sea level. No smoke. No rattle. Heaps of power. The slow spool on this turbo mixed with altitude is the issue. About 40% less density up here.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Is the part throttle Governor even enabled in your ecm? Every sample tune I?ve looked at on here, even some stock base files I?ve received from others it wasn?t enabled. I?ve never played with it myself. Do wonder if the hybrid governor is having some affect for you with the smoke at your altitude. Hybrid governor is only accessible through user defined parameters though.
    I am just wondering exactly what it does and if it can be used to reduce fuelling in certain areas.

Banned
    Not sure, never used the part throttle table before

Tuner in Training
    I am very glad that I found this thread. Most informative!

Dom, thank you for posting that tune. It is a wealth of information.

Im refining a tune that has been working really well for me lately. Very mild and worth a try for anyone having the same issues as me. I still get smoke, but it's getting better i think. Oddly, adding fuel back in has helped. Opposite of what i have been doing.

High Altitude Tune

The attached tune seems to be working for me pretty well. Let me know what you all think.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2004.5 Cummins.
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,