Thread: Trouble Starting and has NO power

Tuner in Training

Trouble Starting and has NO power

Like the title says I'm having a hard time getting my personal car [2015 camaro] to start without using the gas pedal after it's warmed up and when it does run it runs absolutely horrible. I'm just trying to get a drive-able tune to do the break-in before I go to get a dyno tune. Any help getting this to run safe would be greatly appreciated!

Mods: 416 stroker, PRC Heads, 25x/26x .640 .629 112LSA cam, Holley High Ram intake, 2inch long tube headers, 95lb injectors, wisco +5cc pistons 12.4 compression.

Attached Tune and Log FIRSTTESTRUN.hpl 416bigcamholleyhighrisels3.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Mobile atm but seems to be a airflow problem. As long as you know the injector data is correct add 1-2 g/s to your base running airflow chart in the problem temps

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TCSS07 View Post
    Mobile atm but seems to be a airflow problem. As long as you know the injector data is correct add 1-2 g/s to your base running airflow chart in the problem temps
    Hey thanks for the reply! I've added to the base running airflow over and over and feel it's gotten ridiculously high but I still have to apply the throttle about 50% to get the car to start and sometimes even have to stay on the gas for several seconds or else it will stall out. I have the injector data perfect I ran these injectors on a small cam only setup on the same car before this build.

Advanced Tuner
    make sure PE is disabled and ltft enabled. Have the vcm scanner ready when you start it and enable closed loop, keep the vehicle running and let it collect data, then go in and adjust your ve or maf table (however you are tuning it). Dial in fuel before airflow. you may need to play with cranking VE to help with startup, however as you adjust your VE table it will effect that as well. Keep in mind that sometimes after a reflash people tend to see "rich after reflash" which will cause starting issues.

Advanced Tuner
    yeah just checked the log and bank 1 is really rich and bank 2 is pretty lean so you should definitely check the car to make sure everything is hooked up correct - no vac leaks, intake leaks, pinched lines for vac and fuel or anything in that nature because each bank is off a significant amount from one another. also your car is commanding a 12.4 afr at idle and it goes into the low 10s driving - as stated above ensure pe isnt on could me a issue why you have a hard time starting the vehicle and also your idle throttle position is 30% which is high for idle

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TCSS07 View Post
    yeah just checked the log and bank 1 is really rich and bank 2 is pretty lean so you should definitely check the car to make sure everything is hooked up correct - no vac leaks, intake leaks, pinched lines for vac and fuel or anything in that nature because each bank is off a significant amount from one another. also your car is commanding a 12.4 afr at idle and it goes into the low 10s driving - as stated above ensure pe isnt on could me a issue why you have a hard time starting the vehicle and also your idle throttle position is 30% which is high for idle
    Hey thanks for your input! I corrected the PE, the bank 2 issue, and went to a MAF only tune trying to get something out of it. I've tuned cammed cars before and have the basics down but I feel I'm seriously missing something on this one! Now it starts for about 2 seconds and dies and even trying to keep it alive with the throttle it dies. I'll attach the new log/tune I started recording before I turned the key.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    your braf and cranking airflow need to be higher and yes you should always make sure your trims are inline before you actually start fine tuning your start up issues however if the car doesn't start and run how are you suppose to do that. on a ls7 big cam,intake,heads,tb i ended up at 15 g/s (119lb/h) from 0-1200rpm in all gears and added 14 g/s to his cranking airflow numbers over stock to get it happy along with a etc scaler of 7800 for his 102tb and yes i understand its a different build than how yours is but your numbers are not high at all and wanted to give you a idea of where i ended at
    it also didn't have the injector size you do so you may need to also change some numbers around in your cranking fuel chart to remove fueling during cranking(sorta of a way to add more airflow) - i changed it a little bit but not much
    Last edited by TCSS07; 12-18-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    you need to do a couple of things.....

one is swap 02 sensor wiring from bank one to bank two and see if the lean and rich opposing conditions on each bank move. if so then the respective bank has a vacuum leak or an exhaust leak. your STFT should be similar from bank to bank and pretty close. if they're not then there's and exhaust or vacuum leak on one bank causing it. that needs to be fixed first.

your other problem is the airmass model. your IFR table is maxed out at one end and doesn't slope like factory. its really important to slope the IFR table identical to factory for a return less system or make it all one number for a boost reference return style system. if that's not right the entire airmass algorithm is thrown out making fueling near on impossible to get right. you can see your model is our because you're idling at 0.44g of air... that's far too much even for 400 plus cubes.

you need to double stoich, halve the AFR term and enter your injector flow at 50% of actual.

then redo your fueling calibration and most of your troubles will go away. you cant fool an E38 in terms of IFR.... it will make your life hard