Thread: SuperChips messed up my PCM

Tuner in Training

SuperChips messed up my PCM

I have a 2001 Silverado 1500HD 6.0 4L80E and I had a Superchips tune on it and I went to set it back to stock and it had a com failure. The truck wouldn't run after that. I had to take my PCM to their shop in Sanford Fl, and they fixed the PCM so the truck would run. The Tuner wouldn't work on my truck after that but it will work on other trucks just fine. So I made a bench harness and tried it and still nothing. I have had trouble communicating with the PCM ever since the failed tune.

I haven't licensed my PCM with my HP tuners yet because I dont want to waste any credits. I have read the PCM with VCM editor no problem and I'm thinking about changing out my PCM with another one. I have a few PCMs with the same hardware number.

How exact of a match does the "new" PCM need to be?

Can I just license the "new" PCM and write my stock file to it for 2 credits?

Does the VIN need to be correct for the BCM or anything like that?

Can I change the VIN to match the truck? Does that take 2 more credits?

The PCM needs to be the same P01 computer, it can't be a P59.

Ideally you really want the "different" PCM to be from 01-02 so the calibration is just like what you have and hopefully it's another 6.0/4L80e file. Otherwise you will have things to change before you can run it.

The VIN means nothing, the BCM means nothing to the engine running and functioning in those trucks.

If you choose the different PCM route one of your better options is taking one of them to get flashed at a dealership or someone with a dealership level scan tool and can put a stock calibration on the computer that matches your VIN number. Then license that file.

Or you can use one of your spare computer, license it and change everything in it to match a stock 6.0/4L80e file through the segment swap feature. If you VIN number does not matter for emissions testing, then you can do that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I think I have a PCM from a 2001 2500 with a 6.0/4L80E. I wonder if it will it work just the way it is?

If it works why cant I change the VIN with the VIN wizard? Although it doesn't matter because Florida has no emissions testing I'm just curious.

Does changing the VIN require more credits?

Unless something has changed which I'm pretty sure it hasn't, single vehicle licenses can not change the VIN number. If you had all GEN 3 cars or trucks unlocked you could do that but that costs 30 credits to do that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks 5FDP for the help... I'll let you know how it goes.

Tuner in Training
    I compared my 2001 Silverado 1500HD with the 2001 Silverado 2500 I had and they are the same. I installed the 2500 PCM deleted VATS and a few other things and it runs great! I was able to change the VIN kind of... it said it was successful but now I see both VIN's?

"TUNE OVERVIEW" Shows the PCM original VIN but... "CONTROLLERS" Shows the one I changed it to (my original VIN).