Thread: LR4 4.8 with a manual transmission non NV3500

Tuner in Training

LR4 4.8 with a manual transmission non NV3500

total newb here, first post

I would like to swap a 4.8 into my '74 GMC and since the 4.8 came with manual transmission they would be a nice candidate, the 5.3s I recon didn't (the 6.0s did but my engine source guy says they are hard to come by)

anyway does the ECM of a manual transmission truck control that manual transmission in any way like they do with the automatics?

I would like to take the 4.8 and put like a Muncie M20 four speed behind it or a Tremec TKO 500 so if the ECM doesn't need to know what kind of manual trans is behind it then I am set, otherwise you tell me how the magic happens

thanks, I'm a computer geek but my trucks are still carburated so please be gentle (though that is about to change)

You could get a 5.3 with a stick but it's super rare if you found a early 99-00 with one.

The manual calibration is slightly different but it doesn't really control anything related to the transmission itself. Some of the idle settings, timing and such are different but not much.

If you had manual computer already, then it's super easy to get yourself going. If the computer you have is from an automatic truck some things will be required for it to run without going into limp mode or having a weird rev limiter. You can either segment swap in a manual transmission section of the tune file with a matching OS or you can disabled all transmission related DTC's and abuse modes so you have no problems.

Finding a matching OS sometimes can be hard but it's do-able on some computers.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.