Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pilot enabled warm up

Banned
    bring timing up more, everything thats ATDC, set to 8*BTDC to start with and go up from there, bring rail pressure up some more at idle. With pilot tables, the table that gives the least amount, quantity and timing, wins over the other tables, outside of the air density tables that is. for example, if pilot quantity ect correction table for a given ect, main injection quantity, rpm, correction factor, the end result is less than what it use from the air density table selected, it will use the quantity calculated from the ect correction table. if the end result were greater from the ect correction table, the selected air density table value would be used, so long as another correction table isnt calculating a lower value. make sense?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bushmin View Post
    If you zero out pilot pw it will not work at all. Your pikot pw controls your pilot injection. What you want to do is zero your pilot correction table past 150* ect. I did it with sone playing around. Take a look at my attached file in the older posts and look at the correction in pilot fueling
    I did that. It still shows pilot injection in the second log

Banned
    Don?t worry about it showing pulsewidth, log and look at your pilot quantity. The properly shut off your pilot event you zero out your pilot quantity density tables. To maintain pilot just for cold start and shut off at a specified point you need to manipulate the correction tables for how/where you want it to shut off

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    bring timing up more, everything thats ATDC, set to 8*BTDC to start with and go up from there, bring rail pressure up some more at idle. With pilot tables, the table that gives the least amount, quantity and timing, wins over the other tables, outside of the air density tables that is. for example, if pilot quantity ect correction table for a given ect, main injection quantity, rpm, correction factor, the end result is less than what it use from the air density table selected, it will use the quantity calculated from the ect correction table. if the end result were greater from the ect correction table, the selected air density table value would be used, so long as another correction table isnt calculating a lower value. make sense?
    So if i have every pilot table zeroed except for ECT adder, the one I want to use, its going to revert to zero because thats the least amount????

Banned
    Don?t forget about your other correction tables, you don?t want those zeroed out if you are looking to maintain pilot during cold start. If you want pure single event tuning, zero out all your density tables. If you want pilot during cold start and to shut off at a specified coolant temperature, leave the density tables alone, max out the correction factor tables on everything but the ect correction factor table, from your specified coolant temp and upwards set correction factor to zero. That should leave pilot in play until desired temperature is reached.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mbreierair View Post
    So if i have every pilot table zeroed except for ECT adder, the one I want to use, its going to revert to zero because thats the least amount????
    Correct

Banned
    With main timing tables it?s the opposite, maximum value wins

Tuner in Training
    Don?t worry about it showing pulsewidth, log and look at your pilot quantity. The properly shut off your pilot event you zero out your pilot quantity density tables. To maintain pilot just for cold start and shut off at a specified point you need to manipulate the correction tables for how/where you want it to shut off
    If i understand this correctly to maintain pilot for cold start I CAN NOT zero out the density tables I have to use the correction table

Tuner in Training
    Don?t forget about your other correction tables, you don?t want those zeroed out if you are looking to maintain pilot during cold start. If you want pure single event tuning, zero out all your density tables. If you want pilot during cold start and to shut off at a specified coolant temperature, leave the density tables alone, max out the correction factor tables on everything but the ect correction factor table, from your specified coolant temp and upwards set correction factor to zero. That should leave pilot in play until desired temperature is reached.
    Ohhhhhhhh okay im going to go do that

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mbreierair View Post
    If i understand this correctly to maintain pilot for cold start I CAN NOT zero out the density tables I have to use the correction table
    That?s right.

Tuner in Training
    That?s right.
    Didnt seem to work?

Banned
    maybe with pilot quantity the density tables need to zeroed out as well? i never bothered with single event tuning on the 5.9L, just the 6.7. On the 5.9L I do changes to pilot event, max out the correction factor tables and set the air density tables to how i want and never had issues with that.

Banned
    mbreierair, I wouldn't do this with your main pulsewidth table...main pw.png

Tuner in Training
    mbreierair, I wouldn't do this with your main pulsewidth table...main pw.png
    Fixed. Thanks for the heads up

On another note, zeroed out the density tables. Still didnt have the desired effect.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    It's weird. If you weren't looking at the log and just listening to the truck it sounds like it's running on a single injection event. Just rattling away

Banned
    Noticed its running pilot fuel correction reason = max pilot. I checked again and pilot quantity should be set to go with minimum value wins, looking at 2005 configurations, might be different with the 2004. Try setting your IAT coeff, IATxBARO coeff and Boost Coeff to zero.

Tuner in Training
    Noticed its running pilot fuel correction reason = max pilot. I checked again and pilot quantity should be set to go with minimum value wins, looking at 2005 configurations, might be different with the 2004. Try setting your IAT coeff, IATxBARO coeff and Boost Coeff to zero.
    Same thing
    Attached Files Attached Files

Banned
    I did a VP tune for a 2006, pilot was there during cranking and after startup, faded away as coolant temps came up.

Banned
    He guy I gave the VP tune to for his 2006, a megacab, just reported 23.5mpg on a 100 mile trip.

Banned
    Head to the link below and I show the difference in startup when things are set correctly for no pilot start and when things aren?t set correctly for no pilot start.

https://smartysupport.com/forums/top...59l-vp-tuning/