Thread: Joined the 4.2 invalid app key club...

Joined the 4.2 invalid app key club...

Updated to 4.2 due to a customer who brought me a newer E92 that was not supported with earlier versions and now I can do anything with Editor. Constant Invalid application key error even though my key is up to date. I tried setting the Compatibility mode to Windows 7 and running the program, no change. I set it as Run as Admin, no change. I made a new windows user and installed the program, nothing.

Im out of options and I need this fixed ASAP. I tried uninstalling 4.2 and reinstalled 4.0 and I have the same issue.

Opened a support ticket 158221.

Any suggestions?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    What windows operating system are you running currently?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

windows 7

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Thank you all for your patience on this. This has been affecting only certain Windows 7 systems, making this a bit difficult to reproduce and resolve, which is also why it had eluded testing. We are working to determine what these affected systems have in common that differs from the other Win 7 systems that are working properly. In the meantime, there are a few potential workarounds that you may wish to try:

Workaround #1: Go to "Program Files" (or "Program Files (x86)" on 64-bit Windows) -> HP Tuners -> VCM Suite, right-click on "VCM Editor", select "Properties", "Compatibility" tab, then set the compatibility mode to Windows 7. If this works, repeat the process for VCM Scanner as well.

Workaround #2: Go to "Program Files" (or "Program Files (x86)" on 64-bit Windows) -> HP Tuners -> VCM Suite, right-click on "VCM Editor", select "Run as Administrator"

Workaround #3: Create a new user account in Windows, then use that to download and run VCM Suite

Please let us know which of these workarounds work for you, or which ones don't work for you. It's possible that some will work for some users but not others, depending on their system configuration. Knowing this may also help us track down the cause.

Also, if you have anything unique or non-standard about your Windows 7 configuration, that would also be very helpful for us to know... Things like your Program Files / Documents / Windows folders being moved to a non-standard location or drive, running VCM Suite under a restricted user account (ie not administrator), if your Windows 7 was a clean install or was an upgrade on top of XP or Vista, etc.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

I am using Windows 7 professional 64-bit service pack 1. This is the version of Windows that Was on this PC when we purchased it years ago.

I tried all three "workarounds" with no luck.

I tried uninstalling the currect VCM Suite and reinstalling an older 4.0.2 version which was working good this morning before I installed 4.2.

Advanced Tuner
    I had the same issue with a Windows 10 machine that was resolved by reverting back to 4.0.2. Unless my issue was different with similar symptoms.

im on windows 10 and have same issue

Advanced Tuner
    same issue with Windows 10
    Last edited by orange ss; 12-24-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Windows 10 here

Please give VCM Suite 4.2.12 or later a try, now available on our website: https://www.hptuners.com/downloads/
    Note that if you are using the beta, it needs to be version 4.3.107 or later, which should be available later today.

Be sure to unplug your MPVI from both the computer and the car, so that it will power down and reset, before plugging it back in and trying it again.

This update addresses some unusual behavior that was found to cause this type of problem on some systems. We had been able to replicate it on two systems here, and today's fix has solved it for both of them.

VCM Suite 4.2.12, Windows 10 64 bit here. Have tried compatibility mode and running as administrator (also combined), none successfully. Support ticket #158736

Not too sure if this applies but i had the same error for the app key about 2 weeks ago. Everything looked good in my info log but kept getting the app key error. What fixed it for me was manually adding the latest key back into the app. I took an older key first and applied it. I then took the latest one from a later new tune, which was the one it was running on and reloaded it.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Just tried the Beta (4.3.109) and had the same result...

Uninstalled Beta 4.3.109 and 4.2.12, reinstalled 4.0.12. Works fine as of now.

Try updating your ".NET framework" to the latest version then install VCM suite.

Sorry, just saw that I should've mentioned my version of Windows 10 was an upgrade from 8.0-->8.1-->10. AJK13, thanks for the tip. AFAIK, as long as it's a part of normal Windows updates, my .NET framework should be up to date. I'll poke around and see what I can find.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm not sure what version of .Net I have BUT, once I upgraded, disconnected the interface on both sides, opened up 4.2.12... I was able to connect, scan and read a P01 with no issues. Couldn't do that until I disconnected on both ends. I'm running a MPVI1.
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

I wanted to let y'all know that I'm sorry; I misread/misunderstood the OP. I'm getting a "validate checksum failed" error, not the invalid app key. I'm sorry for any confusion I've added and for being a newb.