Thread: Start/Stop

Potential Tuner

Start/Stop

I have a 2015 Malibu 2.5 LTZ with the start/stop and I want to disable it. Found hybrid capability would changing it from start/stop to non hybrid would it disable it?

Potential Tuner
    Start Stop.jpg

Does anyone know what this option do?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i havent tuned one so i dont know what exactly to expect but i would interpret it as such:
    non-hybrid = all engine no electronic assist
    mild hybrid = mostly engine some electronic assist
    strong hybrid = most hybrid drive some engine assist
    start/stop = all engine which shuts down at stops and uses hybrid drive only to regenerate and restart the engine when driving from stop

try switching it around.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    i don't know if that will work because my 2017 cruze le2 is set at non-hybrid and it has auto stop but thats for that ecm/system, the malibu will be different so maybe it works for you
    im not sure how the shifter is configured for the malibu - L(low) or M(manual) - because my cruze is L(low) so i put it in low and click up to max gear (for me is 6) and it will disable autostop but still drive like regular drive thats the only work around besides pulling fuses and shutting dtc's off - the new 2019 cruze has a button to disable autostop but must be pressed every ign cycle
    Last edited by TCSS07; 12-28-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    OP it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by TCSS07 View Post
    the new 2019 cruze has a button to disable autostop but must be pressed every ign cycle
    No way to reverse the default setting to being always off, toggle to turn on? Relay switching?
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

Advanced Tuner
    I dont believe so but I'm not sure since I didnt read the file to see how reads for it but as for the switch - it is just a master enable/disable switch like traction control - like how Ford and Dodge have - took gm long enough lol but I gave up trying to turn it off hptuners way since the few things I tried didnt work so like I stated above about the shifter - that's how I turn it off

Advanced Tuner
    Max a/c disables it. Pumping brakes to lower vacuum disables it. Opening door. Shifter transition. Cadillac GMs prior to 2019 - no SUVs or FWDs have defeat switches -only sedans. 2019 XT4 has switch.

Hybrid setting does not work, I mentioned this multiple time in other topics.
    there is a map for it, but it is not in HPT.
    did it in many cars already.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dertobi View Post
    Hybrid setting does not work, I mentioned this multiple time in other topics.
    there is a map for it, but it is not in HPT.
    did it in many cars already.
    user defined parameters....only for those that understand code unfortunately.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner
    If it has a battery sensor, unplug it and it start/stop will be disabled. Go in diag tab and set trouble code to "no mil".

A lady that works with a friend has this issue on a 15 malibu. Damn thing goes dead pedal if start stop kicks in so I was going to diable it for her. I know the 2016 ats I had an option to turn that off but looking at stock 15 file nothing in this one. Did someone figure out the best way around this? Woman driver so has to be something I can do and she can drive as normal. Thanks
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Advanced Tuner
    I cant speak specifically to your vehicle, but I do know that attaching a trailer connector for towing disables it as well, for those vehicles that come equipped with trailer wiring. At least the Ford trucks do that. Probably irrelevant information to the OP though.

The battery sensor sounds like it should work because when the battery is a little discharged, the start/stop doesn't work. But I'd watch out because the battery sensor adjusts alternator charging power to not only make sure it charges faster wen battery is low, but also makes sure the battery doesn't get overcharged.

Only other solution besides the towing thing mentioned above would be to purchase the start stop disable module from here...
    https://www.smartstopstart.com/chevy...-products.html

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mybowtie View Post
    I have a 2015 Malibu 2.5 LTZ with the start/stop and I want to disable it. Found hybrid capability would changing it from start/stop to non hybrid would it disable it?
    Has anyone tried the parameter in the System Tab for Auto Start Stop?;lkjfdsa;lkjfd.PNG

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Juganntha View Post
    Has anyone tried the parameter in the System Tab for Auto Start Stop?;lkjfdsa;lkjfd.PNG
    Looks like that is in the cooling fan section

Tuner in Training
    As derTobi mentioned 2 years ago already it is possible but not in HP Tuners.
    HP Tuners does not give you access to the entire ECM. Therefore some things basically not there.
    Last edited by Chickenbreast; 01-09-2023 at 02:59 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Does this work? Trying to find a solution to a 2019 Terrain. Its much needed on all these vehicles! I'm pulling the file today to investigate