Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post injection delete questions

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Too much timing will be quite rattley. No pilot injection the combustion event will be louder regardless. Not really sure how to describe the sound other than if it sounds like you have rod knock you probably got too much timing.
    Haha so basically just tune too much timing and dial it back.

And completely off topic here but if adjusting pw at a certain mm3 and fp just makes the duration longer or shorter and effects the spray pattern all that where would I increase the fueling. For some reason I had the idea that it would be in pw duration but if its commanding a certain mm3 then you cannot. Or can you? I just cant wrap my head around it because if you have the same mm3 commanded and fp and say you double the duration how does it control the amount of fuel being sprayed

Banned
    2010+ it?s torque based fueling, Short and simple the ecm takes user desires torque(throttle) as a base target and runs it through algorithms and calculates actual required torque to maintain engine speed and selects actual injection quantity to maintain torque for desired engine speed. The 5.9 CR ecms same concept but you can kind of look at user desired fuel(throttle) in place of torque. The ecm is only going to use what is required to maintain engine speed. If you want to allow more maximum fuel at a given rpm you need to increase boost/fuel limiter and air density/fuel limiters. Your limiters place a max allowable amount of mm3 for a given rpm and depending on the limiter table a given air density or absolute boost pressure. Absolute boost pressure is boost pressure plus atmospheric pressure.

Tuner
    What limiters are those. Boost limit A and baro?

Tuner
    I want to increase a little bit more boost with the modified elbow trick but I want to be able to back that up with more fuel as well. I know I need to increase fuel under my boost limit A past 25psi but where can I add a little more fuel in my pre boost and more top end

Banned
    Under Main Injection limits, Max Output Limit, Boost Limit A(This is absolute pressure, not gauge pressure), Smoke Limit(actually Lambda Equivelancy Table), Baro Limit A, B and C, Air Density Fuel Limiter(under Governors). I feel HPT is missing the Low Boost Fueling Limiters.

Banned
    Adding fuel and getting more boost up to, fatten up rail pressure and increase duration from 100MPa on upwards and 51-60mm3 on upwards and fatten up timing in the upper end.

Banned
    No Throttle Fuel Table under Governors is one of the Low Boost Fuel Limiter tables, there are two of them though, not just the one

Back to the original topic. I built a pretty solid feeling post delete tune. All of my stock timing rattle is gone. All bucking in high rpm is gone. I now have more smoke at idle and a lot of smoke when the engine is lugging. I did pull a few more psi of boost as well. Ill have to look at my numbers and tweak this a bit.

Will running higher tq management numbers cause additional smoke? That is one thing i changed a fair bit. Ill try to post up my tune when i get to my laptop to see what you think.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Back to the original topic. I built a pretty solid feeling post delete tune. All of my stock timing rattle is gone. All bucking in high rpm is gone. I now have more smoke at idle and a lot of smoke when the engine is lugging. I did pull a few more psi of boost as well. Ill have to look at my numbers and tweak this a bit.

Will running higher tq management numbers cause additional smoke? That is one thing i changed a fair bit. Ill try to post up my tune when i get to my laptop to see what you think.
    Why was it smoking from a post delete. I deleted my post and added a few more microseconds of duration and that was it. No smoke at idle no smoke at higher rpm, no bucking. When I deleted pilot on a cold start I had an issue with it smoking white smoke at start up which I am trying to work out.

For my post I did not even have to adjust my timing. Now I need to figure out timing for pilot

Not sure. I upped the numbers in the tq management. I smoothed a couple other tables, but nothing enough to cause all the smoke. This setup at this altitude is a touchy pain in the arse.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    50HP BMS/Exergy Injectors
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,
    turbosmart ext wastegate,
    BD lift pump with 2 mic filter and h2o separator,
    banks intercooler, Banks intake horn,
    slightly built tranny.......

Tuner
    Not sure. I upped the numbers in the tq management. I smoothed a couple other tables, but nothing enough to cause all the smoke. This setup at this altitude is a touchy pain in the arse.
    Share a log file and .hpt

Tuner
    what torque management setting too?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bushmin View Post
    what torque management setting too?
    Just upped by 20 percent and smoothed the whole table once over. Put the max up around 800. I have a feeling the post was helping the larger turbine to spool better. Once removed probably caused more lag hence more smoke. Also probably helps heat up better in my cold ass environment.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    50HP BMS/Exergy Injectors
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,
    turbosmart ext wastegate,
    BD lift pump with 2 mic filter and h2o separator,
    banks intercooler, Banks intake horn,
    slightly built tranny.......

Tomorrow i may try full stock with only post zeroed out to confirm if lack of 3rd event is causing the smoke.

Tuner
    Just upped by 20 percent and smoothed the whole table once over. Put the max up around 800. I have a feeling the post was helping the larger turbine to spool better. Once removed probably caused more lag hence more smoke. Also probably helps heat up better in my cold ass environment.
    What table is that? I always get confused when I hear it because there are multiple tables. I think there is a fuel limiter and a trans limit or something

Fuel limiter

Banned
    You talking about ?Torque Limit? under ?Main Injection Limiters?? I don?t think I?ve had that table give me increased smoke, on manual transmissions I run that table at 2000 and never noticed an increase in smoke.

Make sure to only make one change at a time so if something gives an undesired result you know exactly what caused the undesired result or else you start chasing tails trying to find what did.

Banned
    Post up your current tune with a data log