Thread: Non-supported EEC-V theory

Potential Tuner

Non-supported EEC-V theory

Hey guys, new here but I had a theory and was wondering if anyone has tried this or maybe we can come up with something. I have a 5.0 Explorer (1999) which is an EEC-V truck and is not currently supported and I'm having my doubts as to whether or not they will be. I can't imagine there is a real high demand to tune these in the grand scheme of things, BUT I have seen some posts asking about it and there is a fairly large community that owns/mods these. At least in my area anyway. There is support for other EEC-V vehicles so clearly the guys at HPT have cracked these PCM's, to some degree at least. I have an SCT X3 that has the regular generic "canned" tunes and I can adjust a few parameters, so it's clear that SCT has cracked this particular PCM in these particular trucks. Is there any possibility to utilize the X3 tuner to download the stock calibration, read/modify it in VCM Editor, then reflash the PCM? Essentially what I'm trying to do is what already happens with an E-mail ordered tune, and I know some of you are a lot more experienced (read-->smarter) than me, so I don't think the idea is too far fetched aside from I'm sure there is going to be an issue getting the the stock file from the device. Any ideas?

Update-I used the SCT device to flash a generic 87 Octane strategy tune so the device would have the stock calibration. I then retrieved the stock calibration file from the device via the SCT device updater. I saved it in a folder on computer, but have not been able to get VCM Editor to open or recognize it. It is a .BEF format if that helps.
    Last edited by Biscuit; 12-25-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Good luck! Support for these would be nice. 96 f150 support would be nice as well. Eric B tuned a 96 YAZ3 PCM for me years ago and it worked out well. I'm stuck using SCT PRP to tune this PCM myself. I'm currently running a modified Explorer harness in my 97 302 swapped Ranger with the YAZ3 PCM. I had to convert the harness so I could run a distributor. This stuff is so outdated it'll probably never get support from HPT.

Potential Tuner
    Yea, I’ve been tinkering with it for a few days with no luck. Looks like I’ll be buying MORE tuning software. Any advice on which to go with? Engine is about to get a rebuild with a very mild cam and roller rockers. It’s my all around vehicle and reliability is the most important factor here.