Thread: Help with V V T tune adjustments

Tuner in Training

Help with V V T tune adjustments

I have a 2016 L83 in my 13 Wrangler JKU. I have been working on getting this right for over a year now. I have limited time to spend researching and playing with trial and error, but I do my best to keep up so I don't complain without putting in the required time myself. I started with a tune from a shop in Vegas, where a lot of work had been done after my initial installation. That tune got me home (Vegas to Chicago), but then shortly after I had the AFM lifters in cylinder #7 stick .... twice!! Long story short, I now have a Texas Speed cam kit installed, and all the required extras for the AFM delete and the addition of the cam phaser. Prior to the AFM delete/Cam install, I had drivability issues all along the way, but nothing that would leave me stranded. After the cam install I kept going into "reduced power" mode because I hadn't adjusted the tune for the cam swap. I found a local tuner willing to accept my tune via email, adjust for the cam swap only, and return the tune. That tune worked (still with issues, but none related to the cam swap). At this point I'm still at 12 MPG and poor performance considering HP to weight ratio of the vehicle. My people in Vegas contacted me a month ago stating they now have a great tune for these 5.3 jeep swaps and got it to me. I was told that it was actually a 6.0 tune, but it worked better than anything else they had worked with yet. I installed the PCM that had the tune already installed. The jeep ran better than it had ever before (maybe not great), but after a drive cycle or two, it goes into "reduced power" mode with a code for timing (just like I had after the cam swap and before the timing adjustments were made). My Vegas guy said that the cam swap adjustments had been made already, and is confused why I'm getting this code and problem.
    My question--------- Is there a way to see both timing maps and compare my old 5.3 timing map to this supposedly new 6.0 timing map? I think I should be able to open both files as an overlay, but are the adjustments that need to be made for a cam swap, able to be written down, or copy and pasted, or ?? I have spent the coin and purchased a new laptop, the HP Tuner product, and licensing. I'm just looking for some direction before spending more on more licensing. If "Vegas" sends me a tune to try, I cant even use it since they've attached a vin # to it when they program it. I cant buy credits each time I need to try, or open a file that I didn't originally create.

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I just want to drive and trust my jeep again ........ lol
    Last edited by razzer; 01-21-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Is it a cam timing or ignition timing code? After installing the cam phase lockout, did you (or whoever) zero out the cam desired angle/cam spark tables? It's possible the ECM is trying to command some retard but, the phase lockout is stopping it and it's throwing the code.

Edit: If it's a cam phase limiter (not lockout), those tables shouldn't go above the max retard allowed by the limiter. If I'm not mistaken TSP recommends up to 4 in the cam timing tables. Good luck!
    Last edited by g26er; 01-02-2019 at 06:19 PM.
    2019 Corvette Grand Sport Black

2018 Camaro SS Bright Yellow

Tuner in Training
    It is a cam timing code for sure.