Thread: looking for a remote tuner for my 5.3L direct injected with a turbo

Tuner in Training

looking for a remote tuner for my 5.3L direct injected with a turbo

I have a 5.3L direct injected 2014 GMC Sierra that i installed a turbo in and need help tuning it. I took it to a tunner originally who but a base tune in it and since then bought the tuning school HP tuner kit and messed around with it but fear blowing it up. The last guy confessed that it was alittle out of his comfort zone and there is no one local that is familiar with the new LS's. I am confident I can record passes and reflash the ECU but ideally like to find someone that is willing to remote in and do the latter for me. It now has cast pistons and connecting rods so its stronger but fuel system is stock, my goal is 650 hp.
    If anyone can suggest a quility tunner it would be apprecieted.
    Last edited by CurtisErickson; 12-30-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Tuner in Training
    There are a few here that can do that but I will let them speak for themselves. I thing you will have issues over 550 with the stock fuel. You can upgrade for a reasonable price to the lt4 HPFP and the injectors. But the stock low side pump is another issue. The stock engine is strong and can hold that power if it is tuned right.

Everyone will ask you what turbo and turbo kit. what boost controler, what wide band. Is this a a6 or 8? Stock cam? ****E85***? What location?

I have a 2016 sierra 5.3 a6 with a 76/75 turbo at 12psi. Out of fuel but building up parts for a 700-800hp setup now.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for your reply 1slow1500 and for the tip about the lt4 HPFP and injectors I thought the upgrade was 5k and needed a new cam.
    I installed an On3 70mm turbo kit
    https://www.on3performance.com/shop/...-turbo-system/
    WEGO IV Single Channel Wideband and a GReddy Profec Boost Controller.
    I am not sure what a a6 or 8 is?
    Stock cam
    Yellow Cap E85 but i cant get it were I live which is in Victoria BC Canada.

Tuner in Training
    Ok same kit I have the LT4 injectors and HPFP are cheap. I think you are thinking the HiFlo injectors and pump that sell for 5K. you don't have to have a cam and there are also shimming of the fuel pump as a option. I don't know much about shims but have heard of people using them.
    Don't know about the WEGO. But I think I would get a AEM or Innovate. So you can log the wide band. and they are cheap, well the aem is.
    A6 is a automatic 6 speed a A8 is a automatic 8 speed. 8 is more money and the TCM needs to be removed and sent in for unlock and also takes more credits. The 6 speed is easier and cheaper.
    E85 is a great thing but with limited fuel as is with the DI engines I feel unless you are seriously upgrading the fuel system high and low don't even worry about it.
    As for boost control all I can say is be carfull and go slow. I would not run it till get the tune in and see what the spring rate is. I have the Innovate 4 in one gauge with fail safe. I get boost creep bad 12 can be 15 and sometimes 18. I have upgraded springs -20BOV and 8lb wastegate. they are cheap. rule of on wastegate spring is what ever the number you can run twice that safely. all I can say is you will (in time) need more than 6lb spring.
    Oh and the 70mm is small and more so for these engines. I ran a smaller turbo at first and blew out my crossover flex joint. The On3 turbos are inexpensive. I spoke with them a few times and the best they offer for the kit is the 76/75 BMF Gen2. Rated at over 1000hp
    Also I had issues with BARO and had to do a map breakout.

Tuner in Training
    I will definetly go with your suggestion about the injectors but at this point i would like to get the truck to run half decient. At the moment it bucks and spits if i tromp on it at all, i think that the stock o2 sensor has crapped out, ultimatley having a tuner have a look is my next step.
    The WEGO was $500 or so and has out puts which i have managed to overlay on to VCM Scanner. Regarding the Boost controler, i am not sure if its good or bad but it had good reviews and cost about $350, I wish it had an out put, I would think that would be valuable info to over lay. If i need another one ill buy one, at this point I need to spend whatever to get this thing running right.

Thanks for the waist gate spring tip, i have no idea whats in it now but ill have a look and replace if needed. The On3 kit in general hasn't impress me, from the cheap oil return pump that wined like crazy to the v-band that is not even the same dia as the turbo and leakes exahaust so bad i need the heater on recirc all the time so i dont die at a light. This "install a turbo and go fast" idea has defietly been a steep learnging curve but i am learning and the forum is helping alot.

Tuner in Training
    Any tuners interested in taking this on?

Advanced Tuner
    I done several tunes for stock blower on lt1

Tuner in Training
    I have not had issues like you mentioned with mine but I would never recommend the oil pump, even the idea freaks me out. drain tube is easier and about free of a failure.
    Anyways as long as you got the WB logging in the hpt then you are good. With any controller the issue is always creep.
    I would be concerned with the v band hate to see it give you a bad O2 sensor. I will say the lack of female/male v bands is a down fall. I find it takes a lot of work to line up the clamps right. And per ON3 RTV seal everything!
    Check you inbox.

Tuner in Training
    im not a tuner but u can use this 2 tunes then u can fine tune your truck to your liking
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hsullivancity View Post
    im not a tuner but u can use this 2 tunes then u can fine tune your truck to your liking
    Ok now you have to tell us more about these tunes. I don't even have a Gen V and I'm curious what you had done. Is the 612 HP? What size turbo? Cam? Nice work!