Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pentastar 3.6 VVT Tables

On the Hemi there is one solenoid, it’s the one in the “widows peak” under the front of the intake manifold.
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Quote Originally Posted by LilSick View Post
    yeah mine only uses ex centerline numbers. I just did what you did (my TIP is disabled stock but i changed all the other tables, except wot) and you are correct: According the the log the cam went exactly where i told it to. Which means that where ever i read that you can not change the starting point on here that info is wrong as well as what i wrote up there ^^^. I wish someone woulda corrected dude and called bullshit cuz i woulda been changing these tables from the gate.

Does anyone know how this actually works? That vid ^^^ shows the cambers with the vanes and the oil holes in the cam/fat ass front cam bearing but where are the solenoids that control the oil flow??????? theres gotta be one on ea side of the vane so that is 2 for ea phaser. your car has 4 phasers correct???? where are these 8 electric valves????
    I'm just going to address how it works in the Hemi,

The Solenoid for the VVT gear, acts as an oil control valve, it's a slide valve that allows oil to fill and drain back out of the chambers.
    The ECU demands advancement and Retard based on the Timing tables, at lower RPMs it slides open and allows the chambers to fil till the cam sensor confirms desired cam angle then slides back to close/ hydro lock the gear to maintain desired demanded angle/degree.
    Remember the clock spring wants to keep the VVT gear at 0, the solenoid opens to allow oil in the chamber to retard the cam, during normal driving conditions the Solenoid is sliding back in fourth to fill the chamber and the clock springs is trying force oil out of the chamber to advance the cam back to a previous angle/degree.

When I got my 1st Comp 270 and 274 cams to evaluate , I made a VVt gear that would only swing 10Degress , ....and yes the Pistons were fly cut heavily to give me the clearance I needed , it wasn't a stock short block 5.7 I had as a dyno mule. , the 270 made some great high end power while still making bottom end Tq that was with in 10lbs of the stock MDS cam 5.7 truck motor. the intake on those test was a Prefix single plane, then a Ritter Single, also I did a few pulls with the Indy Mod man set up for two 80MM TB's

I wanted to make a video of the VVT actually moving when I 1st bought my spintron, but couldn't keep a plastic cover on the VVT gear to show oil flow........one hell of a mess when the cover popped off.

Once you understand what your limits are in "requesting" cam angles you can make up some loss TQ , for the NOS guys getting a 2nd stage timed with full cam retard and the SRV Valve...Can be an EYE opener.

The 1st Snipper Intake I played with , the owner had already swaped a 392SRT Manual cam in to the truck, I brought full retard in as low as 2200( I think been awhile) loss a good chunk of Tq under 3k rpms, but the truck was running 4.88s with a 6sp , so owner wanted it to get in to the "sweet spot" as soon as it could, in the end we(he) loss .10 in the 60ft, but gained 6MPH at the big end of the track(1/4)
    G3 Hemi Videos

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRam View Post
    in the Hemi, The Solenoid for the VVT gear, acts as an oil control valve, it's a slide valve that allows oil to fill and drain back out of the chambers.
    The ECU demands advancement and Retard based on the Timing tables, at lower RPMs it slides open and allows the chambers to fil till the cam sensor confirms desired cam angle then slides back to close/ hydro lock the gear to maintain desired demanded angle/degree.

Remember the clock spring wants to keep the VVT gear at 0, the solenoid opens to allow oil in the chamber to retard the cam,

during normal driving conditions the Solenoid is sliding back in fourth to fill the chamber and the clock springs is trying force oil out of the chamber to advance the cam back to a previous angle/degree.
    Thank you @Purpleram. That is really good news for the v6 thread starter too. His combo's are just about endless . Like a pro stock motorcycle or a import.

Why do you call full advance zero?

With the hemi, the 6.4 scat cam (mds) do you happen to know the lobe separation???? My car goes off the exhaust lobe but I want to figure out where the intake lobe is because to me it's position is more important. I have seen it stated a couple of places but the numbers varied by almost 10 degree's. Do you know the correct number?????
    [email protected]

don tanklage

Off the top of my head, I don’t remember the lobe separation.

As for the “0” I call it that because the gear always wants to go back to “its “ zero point, which to me is full advance because it retards from that point as the engine climbs in rpm’s……honestly it is probably not the best reference for me to make
    G3 Hemi Videos

On the zero point, I’m an old man, been building engines for 40+ years so I’m looking at it from a “at rest “ point of view, timing marks are all lined up when the engine is at 0 rpm’s there’s 0 movement of the vvt gear. What ever value you want to use for that start point, use it , for example , if 128* is the # you want to use as “0” don’t let my old school thinking stop you….. I hope that makes sense, it’s early and I got up on the wrong side of a blond.
    G3 Hemi Videos

Advanced Tuner
    Cam timing more important than any blonde...

Zero to me would make more sense at lock pin. Doesnt matter. Someone on here has to have locked out a 6.4 and thrown a degree wheel and a indicator on it. I need those numbers. I will trade a crazy hot blonde for those numbers.
    [email protected]

don tanklage

Tuner
    Following with the topic, can any one around explain what is that the VCM editor calls "scavenging mode" and when it enters in function?

With the mentioned WOT-transformed PT cam tables (pentastar) I see in highway when speed stable around 60mps and soft pedal the two cams move extremely and MAP increases to maximum without any pedal request.... ?? .... Looking at the scanned data I notice whats happening is the cams go to "scavenging mode" table values (which together with the fact that MAP goes to 90KPa with stable 20% pedal it makes it evident to me the PCM is pushing the engine to scavenging mode), and I have no clue what is driving that to happen: anybody around knows and would help explaining?

Cam timing more important than any blonde...

Zero to me would make more sense at lock pin. Doesnt matter. Someone on here has to have locked out a 6.4 and thrown a degree wheel and a indicator on it. I need those numbers. I will trade a crazy hot blonde for those numbers.
    I have to look through some old “footage” I had started a video where I was decreeing a 392cam in eagle 5.7
    G3 Hemi Videos

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Lopez View Post
    Following with the topic, can any one around explain what is that the VCM editor calls "scavenging mode" and when it enters in function?

With the mentioned WOT-transformed PT cam tables (pentastar) I see in highway when speed stable around 60mps and soft pedal the two cams move extremely and MAP increases to maximum without any pedal request.... ?? .... Looking at the scanned data I notice whats happening is the cams go to "scavenging mode" table values (which together with the fact that MAP goes to 90KPa with stable 20% pedal it makes it evident to me the PCM is pushing the engine to scavenging mode), and I have no clue what is driving that to happen: anybody around knows and would help explaining?
    60 miles per second is rip'in. You have a fast 3.6 : )

Answered yer own question didnt ya??? If its happening at cruising speed with light steady throttle then thats the criteria that must be met. There are many more tables in the pcm than what editor gives us access to. What is your goal Benjamin, what are you trying to make your engine do?
    [email protected]

don tanklage

Tuner
    oki oki no my pentastar does not make it to the 60mps ... you are right.

So to answer your question the reason why I got the HP Tuners was to improve this car driving in low regimes (normal driving). From when I purchased the car I did feel the 305HP on WOT but on normal driving, this is 2.63 gear with 20" rims and the transmission was set to run normally 1500-2000rpm and there in that regime (daily driving) the engine did not have much to give: my golf 2.0TD 150CV feels bigger and more drivable.

I raised the shifts a bit, I tuned spark/octane, I made pedal VS throttle more linear... but very small to no improvements on the low regime, until I changed these cam angles 3 weeks ago: that really waked up the engine at the low regime to now being very clearly giving more torque there and improving drivability over the golf?s. It became a bit wild now in low regime, and I am trying to polish that because I will not return it to the sleepy mode.

I did read Hemituna in couple of posts saying to make PT cam look more like WOT numbers, and I also saying small numbers are bad and to go no lower than 105? on any of the cams. My plan was to 1st jump all to WOT and then 2nd start raising the small numbers up to 105... my first step made an amazing improvement (WOT numbers) and now I am trying the second step (raising low numbers) but so far I did not get it any better than the step1. But I keep trying...

Advanced Tuner
    yeah mine only uses ex centerline numbers. I just did what you did (my TIP is disabled stock but i changed all the other tables, except wot) and you are correct: According the the log the cam went exactly where i told it to. Which means that where ever i read that you can not change the starting point on here that info is wrong as well as what i wrote up there ^^^. I wish someone woulda corrected dude and called bullshit cuz i woulda been changing these tables from the gate.

Does anyone know how this actually works? That vid ^^^ shows the cambers with the vanes and the oil holes in the cam/fat ass front cam bearing but where are the solenoids that control the oil flow??????? theres gotta be one on ea side of the vane so that is 2 for ea phaser. your car has 4 phasers correct???? where are these 8 electric valves????
    Maybe the FCA workbook can shed some light?
    https://www.challengertalk.com/threa...1/post-8433019

As for phaser solenoids the is one per cam on the V6. Ignore the VVL solenoids as those are only on the PUG version (+2016 JGC/Durango and some other models).
    https://www.dodgedurango.net/threads...41/post-853344

Advanced Tuner
    4 cam sensors 4 vvl rocker solenoids 4 vvt phaser solenoids 6 coil packs - good thing hemi has fat valve cover : )_
    [email protected]

don tanklage

Advanced Tuner
    4 cam sensors 4 vvl rocker solenoids 4 vvt phaser solenoids 6 coil packs - good thing hemi has fat valve cover : )_
    Yeah but on the hemis, if a lifter wipes a lobe there is high risk of the entire engine requiring replacement if metal debris is found on the oil control valve screen. Even FCA has a document highlighting this. On the V6, usually the cam/rocker can just be replaced.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Lopez View Post
    These attached are the cams I have now, on WOT i only touched 2degrees at high rpm and I am trying to determine if improved or not trending on the scanner because I don?t have a dyno available to
    I still think you should try closer to 117 in and ex like the op did. At least for the midrange.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [email protected]

don tanklage

Potential Tuner
    What are the calibrated tables supposed to be used for are they necessary to adjust or should they be kept stock? I'm assuming if you do adjust them it has to be adjusted along with the calibrated spark timing tables?

The modified cam profile posted here, why use that profile?
    I'm using stock for normal daily driving and then I just modified the WOT cam settings. Does the cam profile for normal daily driving make that much of a difference? I know with my tune I currently have it's a night and day difference set for normal driving, I'm using the Challenger cam timing for "normal" which is 100% better than what my Avenger had from the factory.....
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by brr View Post
    The modified cam profile posted here, why use that profile?
    I'm using stock for normal daily driving and then I just modified the WOT cam settings. Does the cam profile for normal daily driving make that much of a difference? I know with my tune I currently have it's a night and day difference set for normal driving, I'm using the Challenger cam timing for "normal" which is 100% better than what my Avenger had from the factory.....

Brr, I will replay your question first and then I will open a question on your WOT cam settings:

Answer: as I did not put the car on dyno and I know the EGR effect is reducing partial throat VE, I just added the "Max Airflow" parameters at all rpms and pedal requests. Basically I assumed the max airflow (provided by Chrysler already in our PCM file) is where any designer would target to put the cams to work late days when VVT did not exist: where the engine pumps higher amount of air. The result is engine much more wake up, then I tried from it to reduce overlap at low rpms by playing with exhaust cam, but I did notice no improvement but just worst, so I just parked it all there on the max airflow numbers.

Question: Comparing your WOT cam settings to the original challenger ones, I see you are advancing at the very higher rpms both the exhaust (8degr) and intake (7degr) cams right?. why doing that, shouldn?t you retard cams at higher rpms for more power? or how did you test or come up with those high rpm settings? I see you also flattened the 1500-2000 rpm exhaust cam 10degr retard that the original WOT base file has: I was thinking to try that also to reduce overlap on low rpms as I don?t understand the sense of that in the original file.

Potential Tuner
    Was having trouble with my vvt tables but thankfully i found this thread great info