Thread: Focus ST Throttle Tuning Issue - Big Turbo, FM-Intercooler BOV, 3" Exhuast No Cat

Tuner in Training

Focus ST Throttle Tuning Issue - Big Turbo, FM-Intercooler BOV, 3" Exhuast No Cat

I ended up buying a 13 Focus ST with tons of upgrades but the prior owner kept his Tuner and took the tune out of the car. I have done a lot of stuff on my SRT8 Magnum, but now I'm stuck on this one.

So I've been struggling through trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong here checked through these forums for hours All that I've managed to do is get my boost up to where i'd like it, but the throttle still stays in the 39% range. Can someone tell me what I'm missing Please

ST BASE MAP + TQ Limits Raised.hpt
    19-01-01 18-59-17.hpl
    Last edited by rolson; 01-01-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Tuner in Training
    it appears you're still hitting overboost from 'desired TIP' and actual TIP. what is your wg duty at? I don't see it logged and appears to be stock start duty values. I was having an issue with that with big turbo and higher than stock wg. I started with 0 in the dc maps and went from there.

Tuner in Training
    I will log that tonight and post it here I wasn't logging the WG duty cycle
    but I will add it. Can you see anything else i should be logging that I should add?

Tuner in Training
    You're also hitting a couple limiters, comb. stability and insufficient fuel flow. Fuel flow settings are under fuel -> DI Injector control -> Limits. Need to raise max angle, max duty, and dc vs. ect. for comb. stability, Tq mgmt -> general -> comb. stability limits, and looks like you need to raise everything there. As far as logging, I log a lot more channels, but looks pretty good other than I like to have mapped points logging also. Looks like your hitting pretty close to your max load settings on a few tables.

Tuner in Training
    Awesome, yeah I'm really excited to learn this stuff. I actually work at a Chevy/Buick/GMC/Ford/Lincoln dealership as a salesmen. From what I can see, even though this stuff is very complicated, this ECU is light years ahead of my 2006 SRT8 Magnum.

Made a couple other changes here's the new log did it quick while getting onto the interstate on my way home.

19-01-02 11-55-22.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Hitting '5 popcorn' limiter still. Looks like you're hitting close to 2.3 load and that is your max LSPI load

Tuner in Training
    Ok so I fixed all that now it doesn't say there's anything limiting air flow but it's still being limited. I think i'm beginning to understand this i'm hitting a lot of boost and my waste gate duty cycle is still at 70% area when it should be more open so that the throttle can be more open and the turbo won't over-boost?

19-01-02 17-59-33.hpl
    19-01-02 17-57-24.hpl

Tuner in Training
    what gear are you doing pulls in? I usually log vehicle speed also. looks like traction control was kick in, so either you're in second gear or you're making really good power haha.

Tuner in Training
    3rd gear its very cold here clean roads but i have snow tires on the car so I'm sure it's spinning a little...

I'm confused with the blow through logic when I turn it off my waste gate duty just logs 0?

I'm confused now where do you actually set your boost pressure at?

19-01-02 22-48-25.hpl

Tuner in Training
    setting the dc to 0 is not permanent, it's just to see how much boost your wg makes without any duty. This would never be an issue with stock turbo/wg, but since you're big turbo/aftermarket wg, you need to know your base pressure.

Tuner in Training
    I see, I'm thinking I should just go get an aftermarket waste gate controller.

Next thing is how do I get the Predicted TIP higher?
    Has any one modified the pressure/volt of the TIP sensor to confuse it into allowing higher pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by rolson View Post
    I see, I'm thinking I should just go get an aftermarket waste gate controller.

Next thing is how do I get the Predicted TIP higher?
    Has any one modified the pressure/volt of the TIP sensor to confuse it into allowing higher pressure?
    The stock stuff works fine. My personal ST has a larger turbo with an EWG, built 2.3 stroker and 4 port aux fuel on full e85 all on the stock hardware. What you need to do is find your base pressure. Pressurize the wastegate and see when it fully opens then update your spring pressure within the tune. If it’s a bolt on ATP kit with an IWG most of those come with a 14.5 psi wastegate preload but I would double check the preload by pressurizing it.
    Last edited by qck2spool; 01-03-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Tuner in Training
    OK I've got the waste gate stuff figured out..

I'm still running into my Predicted TIP being much lower than actual. Need to get my Desired TIP much Higher.... Any Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by rolson View Post
    OK I've got the waste gate stuff figured out..

I'm still running into my Predicted TIP being much lower than actual. Need to get my Desired TIP much Higher.... Any Ideas?
    in a nutshell, I raise driver demand and let the computer control the rest. driver demand, IPC, etc. you really don't have to change much on these ECMs.

Tuner in Training

Big turbo focus tune

Haven't posted on this in awhile. Fixed my problem by adding an external wastegate. The internal one could not keep up for some reason. With the external on there is no boost surge it comes up and just levels off nicely. For me the factory control is just not worth messing with. I have the external wastegate just hooked strait to the pressure side. I may not have needed to upgrade to an external wastegate but it fixed my problem. The best part is a screamer pipe just sounds awesome. Also I mapped for the GTX Turbo.

Log File:
    19-05-05 11-56-04.hpl
    Tune File:
    ST BASE tq mgmt WG BOV Cool T-stat - Fuel -Turbo.hpt
    Last edited by rolson; 05-05-2019 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Added Files

Potential Tuner
    Anyone knows how i can make throttle to 100%. Still all stock tune

Tuner in Training
    Hey Mark Bite the bullet pay the money and get https://thetuningschool.com course
    on the ecoboost. If you just adjust the parts that make the throttle open your computer
    is going to fight you and close it still because of the torque demand and other fuel tables
    you need to adjust first. Throttle is the last thing you should adjust.