Thread: Did I fry my Ford PCM just reading it with new MPVI2????

Tuner in Training

Angry Did I fry my Ford PCM just reading it with new MPVI2????

Okay, I've opened a ticket with support, but I'm basically down. I've owned my MPVI1 for many years, and read/write my GM PCM's hundreds of times.

Here's how it went down.

December 31st around 11:00 AM

1) Powered up my laptop (I've had it for many years programming many GM's). Hooked up my new MPVI2 for the first time, and started VCM Editor (latest version).
    2) Attempted to read the PCM, but when I tried to put my VIN Number in, it spitted a message that this file is not licensed, and would I like VCM to assign a VIN for licensing
    3) Clicked yes, it prompted to turn the vehicle off and back on again. Once I turned it back on, fans turned on and it started reading the PCM.
    4) Saved the file, and attempted to open it but couldn't. (Contacted Support later and found out needed VCM editor Beta to read it).
    5) Disconnected the VCM editor and closed the application.
    6) Powered down the laptop.

December 31st at around 9ish PM to try and start the car for a friend who wanted to hear it

1) Turn the ignition on and attempted to start the car. Fans running, theft light flashing and check engine light on
    2) Noticed fuel pump not priming
    3) Powered up the same laptop.
    4) Hooked up the MPVI2 and attempted to read PCM. Received communication error
    5) Hooked up OBD2 diagnostics reader. Could not establish communication
    6) Hooked up Ford IDS and attempted to read PCM, no communication.
    7) Disconnected Battery for 30-45 minutes
    8) Reconnected battery and attempted to start car. Same symptoms.
    9) Powered up laptop, hooked up MPVI2 to try and read the PCM again...communication error again!
    7) Contacted HP Tuners Support and reported issue at 11:18 PM. Car is dead now.
    8) Disconnected car battery completely and left disconnected overnight.

December 1st at 11:45 AM

1) Reconnected car battery.
    2) Checked every fuse to see if anything is blown. Checked engine compartment fuses and passenger fuses.
    3) Got wiring diagram for PCM to make sure PCM is getting voltage. Verified CCRM is supplying voltage to PCM.
    4) Turned ignition back to on position. Fans running, Theft light flashing.
    5) Checked both the Keepalive 12v signal to PCM and ignition Bat+ signal to PCM. Getting 12 voltage to both.
    5) Hooked up MPVI2 again, could not establish communication. Hooked up obd2 diag port...could not read PCM

This is how simple this was and I'm very experienced in tuning. Nothing else was done.

Did the MPVI2 write a VIN to the car that caused a mismatch with VATS and the dash security? Did reading the PCM put the PCM in service mode and now it won't communicate? Did it brick the PCM?

I figured if support could read over my steps and give me some kind of idea what happened. I don't want to spend another $300+ for this and it all happen again.

The last thing I did was take the PCM out and make sure it wasn't fried (sniffed the connector). If I have to send the PCM to HP Tuners support, I will but I need my car back up ASAP.

Kelly

I find it strange that it asked for a license for reading. Sometimes it asks for a VIN to identify it but nothing is changed in the ECU.
    If it doesn't read with HPT, try a scan tool, if you don't get a communication at all and the car still doesn't start, it may be bricked.
    Ford ECus are difficult to brick, if you have Ford IDS you can restore it.

What vehicle is it?
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    Let me correct that statement...initially it didn't find the VIN, so it prompted me to assign one. This is a 1999 Ford Mustang GT. I already have Ford IDS. Can't communicate with it. Was able to read it that one time and get a file saved. Going to send all the debug info to support this afternoon. Maybe they'll see something I missed.
    Last edited by kaylin4u; 01-02-2019 at 02:39 PM. Reason: correction

Advanced Tuner
    Any sockets in the ALDL pushed back? Are the HPT connector pins good?
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

Tuner in Training
    Pins on all of my data link connectors seem to be fine.

Tuner in Training
    FIXED!!!!!

Wanna know how?

With the help of Corey at HP Tuners support, he suggested to go ahead and license the file I read off my PCM, then attempt to write it back. Well it worked.

I see one flaw with HP Tuners process for Ford's like this situation. See, my PCM like most fords this old, doesn't register a VIN with the PCM, so when I read the PCM using VCM editor and it prompted me to assign a VIN for licensing the tune, I assume it never "released" my PCM back for normal use.

It must have been been stuck in "program" or "learn" mode. I notice every time I use ford IDS, it prompts me to turn the ignition to the off position, after a few seconds, it prompts me to turn the ignition to the on position. Then once the Rotunda probes the PCM to "service" or "learn" mode, my fans cut on, theft light flashes, and all the same symptoms that I had.

When IDS is done, at least it (The Rotunda device) release's the PCM back to normal use, while the MPVI2 didn't.

This should be a fix.

Unless I paid for my credits, my car was useless. I was close to purchasing another reman PCM at $300 (or buy a used one), re-flash it with IDS (which not alot of people don't have), and then if I use HP Tuners again, I would have been right back in the same position.

Out of the many years I've had my HP Tuners, not ONCE have I ever had this problem, so ***** PLEASE FIX THIS ******. Don't want anyone else going through this nightmare.