Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EEC V and VCM Scanner

Advanced Tuner
    If you have a QH why would you not use that? The QH datalogging is far superior to anything else and can poll 2x the amount of payloads at 1500 times a second vs only 15 times a second for only a few payloads which is all the obd2 port can do. I wrote the logging code in tunerpro and actually slow down the logging rate cuz it logs at a faster rate than the ecu is capable of calculating.

So, newb to EEC-V here. I have a 1996 F150 OBD2 EEC-V. Can I adjust pid/DTC settings or do any tuning at all? I have a MPVI Pro that I use on my other GM trucks. (Have not upgraded to 2.0 yet.) I assumed it wouldn't and I don't see it listed on vehicle list. It looks like some are able to do it, but having issues datalogging? Reason I ask is I got tunes and SCT X3 from SSI. I paid for 3 tunes and only got 2 and the 2 I have are not set up properly. I have tried emailing, calling and texting him and he just ghosts me. I believe it's been too long to have my CC company go after him so I'm looking for easier options first. Thanks. Any help is appreciated. Worst case I guess this is a bump for the thread.....

Bump.

Edging into EEC-V tuning. 2002 Mustang shows as supported. What's the read and write time like on these? Seem pretty stable to use?
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Tuner in Training
    I'm not sure about the older MVPI, because I got the MVPI2 like 2 months ago under the same impression, that the 99-04 Mustang 2vs were supported (I have an 02 as well). I also saw the Facebook post from the summer saying they fixed the EEC-V scanning issues after reading this thread pre-purchase. I went to go datalog the car and... it doesn't work. It logs slowly getting data once every few seconds, and caused my dash to become useless (tach and speedo bouncing all over the place, lights flashing etc.) Even with only like 4 or 5 PIDs it still was slow to the point of not becoming worth it. I contacted support about 2 weeks ago and said they had a fix for a while, but they had to pull it because it was causing issues. All they said was that their engineers were working on it.

I'm still able to write tunes for the Mustang without issue, so that is stable, but scanning/datalogging doesn't work for them right now, so that part is not.

^ Agreed. I ran into the same issue this last weekend working on this '02. It reads/writes flawlessly, but logging is a no-go. It's slow/jittery and causes the digital odometer to go all dash's (----------) with tach and speedo dropout. Disconnect the MPVI 2 and it all works.

Worked great for reading/writing, fast! But, not much use if you can't log......
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Potential Tuner
    ^^^I would like to know if there is a fix for this too?^^^
    Also ran into the issue this weekend with VERY Slow to NO logging and then dash issues! We replaced the cluster due to a bad Tach. then tuned out Security. Then after trying to log the vehicle we thought we had another bad cluster due to this issue. After some reading and Disconnecting HPT MPVI2 Pro car seems to be okay.

I put in a ticket to support, but I feel the need to vent a bit. I feel pretty duped after finding this and many other threads. I just upgraded my MPVI -> MPVI2 specifically so I could tune on my beater 2003 Mustang GT a bit. $200 down the drain for a car I can't even properly log + 2 credits burnt. I had no other use case for an MPVI2 at this time other than this Mustang.

I see a lot of folks get around this using an SCT handheld + livelink, but I don't own one of their handhelds at the moment.

HPTuners, if you are reading this, you need to do the right thing and caveat the supported vehicles list. Just be honest, say you support read/write but not logging. I just blew hard harned money based upon that list.
    Last edited by Gimpster; 04-06-2021 at 04:33 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    For $50 more you could have got a moates quarterhorse.

Realtime tuning with the QH using TunerPro is far superior than any other tuning option on the market and best part is it all free. No credits and you can tune as many of them as you desire. Ive personally tuned several hundred EECs IVs and Vs with a quarterhorse.

Heres the link to the download page and PCM hardware codes cross reference.

http://efidynotuning.com/downloads.htm

FBGI0 is the strategy for all 2001-1/2 to 2004 mustangs.

Please don't take this as disrespectful, as reading ones tone over text can be hard. I also appreciate your contributions to EEC tuning over the years.

Totally agree with you, I could have gotten a QH. I based my purchasing decision on my familiarity with HPT software I've gained over the years, and the fact the 99-04 Mustang is clearly listed as a supported platform with no applicable caveats. I trusted the listing, and have never really lurked in the Ford section until I started having issues yesterday. It would appear HPT has attempted to fix this with firmware in the past, and struck out.

We'll see how they respond to my support ticket. If they agree it can't be properly scanned/logged, I will request to be made whole. As I said, the other vehicles I own do not require the use of an MPVI2. If they do that, I will pivot to alternative tuning solutions as you have outlined. I don't have the money laying around to just keep buying tuning solutions for a beat up old New Edge. Honestly I'm just bored and putzing around with the car, its a car I keep out in Texas when I'm here working remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    For $50 more you could have got a moates quarterhorse.

Realtime tuning with the QH using TunerPro is far superior than any other tuning option on the market and best part is it all free. No credits and you can tune as many of them as you desire. Ive personally tuned several hundred EECs IVs and Vs with a quarterhorse.

Heres the link to the download page and PCM hardware codes cross reference.

http://efidynotuning.com/downloads.htm

FBGI0 is the strategy for all 2001-1/2 to 2004 mustangs.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimpster View Post
    I put in a ticket to support, but I feel the need to vent a bit. I feel pretty duped after finding this and many other threads. I just upgraded my MPVI -> MPVI2 specifically so I could tune on my beater 2003 Mustang GT a bit. $200 down the drain for a car I can't even properly log + 2 credits burnt. I had no other use case for an MPVI2 at this time other than this Mustang.

I see a lot of folks get around this using an SCT handheld + livelink, but I don't own one of their handhelds at the moment.

HPTuners, if you are reading this, you need to do the right thing and caveat the supported vehicles list. Just be honest, say you support read/write but not logging. I just blew hard harned money based upon that list.
    I'm in the same exact boat. I am new to tuning, I have an SCT handheld, but I ultimately went with HPT because everyone said that the software was the cleanest and the support behind it with forums and knowledge was the best. I figured rather than get TunerPro or SCT Advantage I would rather do this to learn. Also, most of the tuning videos on YouTube involve HPT, so that would just make it easier to learn. After reading the forums and seeing the Facebook post from HPT from the summer, I figured the issues were resolved (I have an 02 GT). But much to my dismay the scanning didn't work.

I can tell you what they are going to tell you in the support ticket. I had emailed them 2 months ago when I first bought the MPVI2, because there was no mention anywhere that there were still issues. They said they had to pull the update that fixed the issues because it was still causing problems. I emailed them again about a week ago and all they said is to look at the current vehicles list for support. Not very helpful.

So yeah, I'm in the same boat. Very mad considering these vehicles show as supported when in reality they are not fully. Again, I get I could have gone with something else, but as a new tuner I thought I was doing the right thing here. I guess I will be getting SCT at some point, since its pretty popular with American vehicles in general still.

If I get a similar response you did, and full disclosure yeah I know you're watching HPT, I will be asking for at the bare minimum my 2 credits back. The vehicle support list clearly shows the Mustangs as supported, as you already know. You can't have this both ways, and look at my forum join date.. I'm not just some clown coming on here to be upset.

What solution I do end up tuning with isn't even relevant to that issue, so I won't go there.

Quote Originally Posted by radcartuning View Post
    I'm in the same exact boat. I am new to tuning, I have an SCT handheld, but I ultimately went with HPT because everyone said that the software was the cleanest and the support behind it with forums and knowledge was the best. I figured rather than get TunerPro or SCT Advantage I would rather do this to learn. Also, most of the tuning videos on YouTube involve HPT, so that would just make it easier to learn. After reading the forums and seeing the Facebook post from HPT from the summer, I figured the issues were resolved (I have an 02 GT). But much to my dismay the scanning didn't work.

I can tell you what they are going to tell you in the support ticket. I had emailed them 2 months ago when I first bought the MPVI2, because there was no mention anywhere that there were still issues. They said they had to pull the update that fixed the issues because it was still causing problems. I emailed them again about a week ago and all they said is to look at the current vehicles list for support. Not very helpful.

So yeah, I'm in the same boat. Very mad considering these vehicles show as supported when in reality they are not fully. Again, I get I could have gone with something else, but as a new tuner I thought I was doing the right thing here. I guess I will be getting SCT at some point, since its pretty popular with American vehicles in general still.

I was bored tonight, and needed to fix some burnt out bulbs on my cluster anyway. I looked up a diagram of the data bus for these Mustangs (attached to this reply).

First experiment: I unplugged the ABS module, no change... data collection pausing, cluster freaking out.

Second experiment: I unplugged the gauge cluster in addition to the ABS module, no change... data collection pausing, but cluster no longer freaking out since it was unplugged.

According to this diagram, other than the PCM, the only things left on the data bus are the GEM, RCM but they are on the K-Line (pin 7). I might unpin this just for giggles, but I doubt it will do anything given the interruptions we're seeing are on the SCP/J1850 line.

So I dunno, without any info on how its been debugged ...it would seem the issue is something larger here. My car will freeze on the regular even when logging only one PID, and doesn't matter what PID I try. I log with a generic chinese ELM, no problem. I log with an old DashDaq (hey anyone remember those?), no problem. I log with FORScan, no problem.

\_(ツ)_/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    I’m still using hp tuners with eec cars as we are trying to consolidate. I hope eventually they get it figured out. I currently use sct to log and hptuners to adjust

Advanced Tuner
    anytime the cluster glitches it means the
    device on the obd2 port is sending invalid commands

logging issue is purely code related and most likely the timing is off. SCP bus is very critical of timing on events and commands transmitted on the bus. Anything over runs or out of range / invalid and the aice chip on the ecu resets.

My update is: HP Tuners support replied to me (Eric) and informed me the 1999-2004 Mustang is not a supported vehicle and to monitor their Facebook page for updates, oof. My response was polite (I hope?) and pointed out the vehicle support matrix published states otherwise, and that matrix is the reason I made the purchasing decision I did. I'm awaiting a response to that still, but that was a pretty disheartening response.

I'll keep updating this thread even it drives folks crazy, but I'd say not looking good here. I don't like to be a negative person, but I feel like the chances of this getting fixed on such an old platform is near nil.

I just hope the support matrix is updated, because ... that doesn't sit well with me.

---

Yah, I also figure this is likely a timing issue, excessive polling speed, invalid request causing a reset... something along those lines. I was honestly just curious if removing the other devices on the SCP bus would change anything, it didn't. I unpinned the K line tonight too, no change either.

Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    anytime the cluster glitches it means the
    device on the obd2 port is sending invalid commands

logging issue is purely code related and most likely the timing is off. SCP bus is very critical of timing on events and commands transmitted on the bus. Anything over runs or out of range / invalid and the aice chip on the ecu resets.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimpster View Post
    My update is: HP Tuners support replied to me (Eric) and informed me the 1999-2004 Mustang is not a supported vehicle and to monitor their Facebook page for updates, oof. My response was polite (I hope?) and pointed out the vehicle support matrix published states otherwise, and that matrix is the reason I made the purchasing decision I did. I'm awaiting a response to that still, but that was a pretty disheartening response.

I'll keep updating this thread even it drives folks crazy, but I'd say not looking good here. I don't like to be a negative person, but I feel like the chances of this getting fixed on such an old platform is near nil.

I just hope the support matrix is updated, because ... that doesn't sit well with me.

---

Yah, I also figure this is likely a timing issue, excessive polling speed, invalid request causing a reset... something along those lines. I was honestly just curious if removing the other devices on the SCP bus would change anything, it didn't. I unpinned the K line tonight too, no change either.
    What are the odds we can get a refund then? If the car isn't supported how come we were able to buy credits for it???? If they are saying it isn't a supported platform, despite the website of supported vehicles says it does, I would like a full refund at this point. I figured they would say they support it but working out the bugs with scanning. That is completely misleading!

Before long you might not be able to tune cars at all... Re-sell what you got, HP Tuners made nothing on the equipment they sent you... I understand why you are mad but these guys are the only ones left so don't beat them up so hard.

Potential Tuner
    Any updates? Still listed as a supported vehicle

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Hymbaugh View Post
    Any updates? Still listed as a supported vehicle
    I don't think there is a fix yet- they will likely make an announcement on Facebook or somewhere when they release the fix.

I've come across another alternative to logging. If you don't have or want to purchase an SCT device, FORScan (a well-known software for Fords) can datalog. The software is free and I'm pretty sure you can datalog without needing the extended license (which is 30 bucks worse case). All you need is an ELM 327 OBD adapter which runs for about 20 bucks on Amazon for a decent one. I tried it out the other day on my 02 Mustang and it logged flawlessly. Not nearly as clean looking as HPT for sure, but its a cheap alternative that will allow you to datalog. Hope this helps!

Potential Tuner
    @radcartuning

Thanks for the heads up on FORScan. Seems I?m like everyone else, assumed HPTuners worked for my Mustang. Hope they find a fix.

How were you able to log your wideband while using FORScan?

Thanks!