Thread: New member with some stupid questions.

Potential Tuner

New member with some stupid questions.

Hello all.
    Just joined and have a bunch of question.
    My data: 2019 F-150 Lariat SC, 145" WB, 5.0, 10 speed.
    I will be adding Magnaflow MF (19054) as soon as the parts arrive.
    I have also ordered the MVPi2 and a couple of tunes.
    Now the questions.
    Out of the box, what do I need to do to connect a Windows 10 tablet to the tuner and my truck? I'm computer literate but not guru.
    Are there any onboard tunes already loaded?
    Does anyone have any details on transmission tuning? Mine is really harsh in normal and sport mode.
    Does adding the aftermarket exhaust system require any changes to maximize the potential?
    Is there a stock tune that 'fits all'?
    I'm not looking to build a street racer, just some low level tinkering.
    This is my first foray into the world of tuning so please be patient with me.

Thank you!
    TLRSR
    Tom Rhymestine

Either they give you a CD I think or you can download the drivers off this forum to get you up and going. You need to make an account so you can sync your MPVI device to your account, this should also sync up any credits you bought.

No, there are no tunes loaded on it. HP Tuners is a tuning tool that the user has to use to create and modify the calibration on their own. The idea is for you to follow any specific procedures for licensing your vehicle and then spending however many credits it takes to license your vehicles stock file. That file should be saved in several places just in case and should never be saved over. All new tunes should have a different name than the first file you save.

Just a muffler change won't require anything specific to change, it could stay as it is without an issue. Doing other stuff to the calibration is up to the user if they know what they are doing. I'm a GM guy and the ford tuning is Greek to me, so I have no idea what most guys do.

Transmission tuning may cost extra credits and TCM unlock service on some models, double check if yours does.

Prepare for lots and lots and lots of reading to help you understand what is going on. Maybe someone will help you or you can pay for a tune from someone that does it for a living because there aren't really any one size fits all tunes.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the information.
    I was tinkering with the device and the tablet today and the gods were on my side for a change.
    I was able to set everything up and get registered with HP. The credits showed up too. Now it looks like the next step is to get the exhaust system install, then request a performance tune and see what can be done to enhance the shifting pattern of the transmission.

Anyone out there with experience with the 2019 F-150 5.0 and 10 speed transmission?

TLRSR
    Tom Rhymestine

Tuner in Training
    As far as I have seen on the mustang side, most shops won?t send you a tune to load on via your mpvi. You would need an n-gauge to load one of the tunes. Now if you had an ngauge and loaded said tune I have no idea if you could pull down the tune that was loaded with the ngauge and just make transmission changes.

Potential Tuner
    Not sure what the n-gauge is.
    I am under the impression that HP Tuners will supply a program for their MPVi2.
    Otherwise I'm totally in the dark!

This is a busy forum, please someone, help me out here.
    All I want to do is get a little boost in economy, performance and to smooth out the harsh 10 speed transmission.

TLRSR
    Tom Rhymestine
    2019 F-150 Lariat SCab, 6.5 5.0 10 speed Soon to be Magnaflow exhaust system

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrsr View Post
    Not sure what the n-gauge is.
    I am under the impression that HP Tuners will supply a program for their MPVi2.
    Otherwise I'm totally in the dark!

This is a busy forum, please someone, help me out here.
    All I want to do is get a little boost in economy, performance and to smooth out the harsh 10 speed transmission.

TLRSR
    Tom Rhymestine
    The MPVi2 allows you to pull the stock file from your truck, make the changes you want and reload it back on the car. HP tuners does not send out base files or do custom tuning. If you are looking for a shop/tuner to send you a "canned" or custom tune you need a n-gauge. They will have you pull your stock file and email it to them. From there they will make the changes and send it back to you and you can load the tune back up on the truck.

MVPi2 allows you to tune the car yourself.

Edit:
    Reading your post again you said you ordered a couple of tunes. Who did you order those from or are you saying you ordered credits? The credits are not to pay for someone else to send you a tune, they are to license your stock file so you can make changes to the tune.
    Last edited by Sleek98; 01-07-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

No, there are no tunes loaded on it. HP Tuners is a tuning tool that the user has to use to create and modify the calibration on their own.

Prepare for lots and lots and lots of reading to help you understand what is going on. Maybe someone will help you or you can pay for a tune from someone that does it for a living because there aren't really any one size fits all tunes.
    I tried to briefly cover that part in my first post. HP Tuner does not provide you with an tunes and will not do anything for you. You have to learn how to use this software or pay someone to make the changes for you.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    OK, I'm learning! I just learned I wasted $400 on the MPVi2 and two credits.
    I have no idea how to tune a vehicle. In my reading of various forums and threads, I got the impression I would be able to have someone send me a file and all I had to do was load it with the HP device.

Know anyone that wants a MPVi2 with a couple of credits?
    Or maybe know of someone to write the tune so I can download it to my vehicle?
    I know I'm more than a little dense, but please clarify a point for me. Using the MPVi2 I cannot load a tune program that someone else writes. I can only do that with N-gauge?
    TLRSR
    Tom Rhymestine

If you own the MPVI2 and someone else own a MPVI2, you can write a tune that someone else creates.

The newest MPVI2 allows another user to open your file and make changes to that file without costing them credits. It's only a problem if someone owned the MPVI 1 because that unit required a license if you needed to save someone else's file if you made changes to it.

The new MPVI will only ask you for a license if you go to write the file.

The new MPVI2 interface is now available. Should I upgrade my existing MPVI to the new MPVI2? Here's some information to help you decide.

Q1. I currently own the MPVI Standard. Should I upgrade?
    A1. Yes. At initial launch, the MPVI2 provides all the features of the MPVI Standard, but with the extra benefits listed below:

• Universal credits
    • New vehicle/manufacturer support (details TBA)
    • Expandable 8GB internal memory
    • Future software update to Pro Feature Set ($249), enabling the use of the Expander Hub, Standalone Datalogging and Standalone Flashing (release TBA)
    • Expansion to allow analog/digital/other inputs via Expander Hub (release TBA)
    • HPT file Edit and Save without license

This is from the product info thread.

Tuner in Training
    https://ferrarospeed.com/product/hp-tuners-ngauge/

That is the "hand held" that the end user uses, it just loads the file from the tuner on to the vehicle. The MVPi is the tuning device.

Can you load a file that a tuner saves via your MVPi2? Yes. However I do not know of any shops that will send you a tune to load via your MVPi2. I am guessing there are some out there but it maybe harder to find as it would allow you to see their entire tune file.

For what you are wanting to do the common tool to use is the Ngauge that I have linked above.

I would find what tuning company you are wanting to use and then ask them what device they use.
    Last edited by Sleek98; 01-07-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Potential Tuner
    OK, I give up!
    I am confused, disappointed and frustrated. I'm sure, somewhere along the line I made some erroneous assumptions about the tuning process. Those assumptions, of course cost me a lot of money, time and effort.
    So, now I will just accept the factory tune and harsh transmission shifting patterns and sell the HP Tuners device I just purchased.

I may revisit the idea at a later date, but for right now, I give up!

Thanks to all who have tried to educate me.
    TLRSR
    Tom Rhymestine

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrsr View Post
    OK, I give up!
    I am confused, disappointed and frustrated. I'm sure, somewhere along the line I made some erroneous assumptions about the tuning process. Those assumptions, of course cost me a lot of money, time and effort.
    So, now I will just accept the factory tune and harsh transmission shifting patterns and sell the HP Tuners device I just purchased.

I may revisit the idea at a later date, but for right now, I give up!

Thanks to all who have tried to educate me.
    Find a tuner that you want to use and ask them what device they want you to buy.

Potential Tuner
    All the time I spent and money invested could have been avoided if I would have followed that advice at the very beginning.

As I said, thanks to everyone for your information and support.
    TLRSR
    Tom Rhymestine