Thread: New to HP tuners here questions....

Potential Tuner

New to HP tuners here questions....

I have a 5.3 out of a 2002 suburban I'm wanting to swap into my street car. Question is do you recommend I buy the MPVI2 with 2 credits for $400 to start with or go another route? Newbe here so any help you guys can give a beginner would be great.

thanks in advance,

Dogman...........

Advanced Tuner
    If you plan to tune it you will need a tuner. If you are swapping it to a car with trans and same axle ratio and are leaving everything stock then no. Assuming you are swapping and building a new harness to retrofit to car or piecing together the harnesses for ecm/tcm/etc. ? Whatever ecm/tcm you are using is the VIN you are purchasing the credits for. If you are tuning it with mods, buy a wideband. I use the AEM-30-0334 X-Series with OBD2.
    Last edited by DGS; 01-05-2019 at 11:27 AM.

You'll need the tuner just to make the stock computer run and to disabled all related codes for parts and sensors you are not using. Buying the MPVI2 and 2 credits will be required to do that.

His wideband suggestion is a good one but your computer can't use the OBD2 port for logging the wideband, consider the cheaper AEM UEGO to monitor real time air fuel ratio's.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    so your wide band hooks up to your OBD2 port or you have MVPI2 pro?

If the vehicle has CAN-BUS you can use the OBD2 port, so almost everything 2006+ running a E38/E67 or newer computer.

You could still use that same wideband to use with the MPVI2 PRO but it's more expensive for something you can use on every vehicle. Non PRO versions typically use a different wideband and wire it into the computer EGR or AC pressure sensor circuit on those P01/P59 LS computers.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't plan to buy pro so you are saying I can just use the pinout on the computer EGR or AC pressure circuit do log the wide band? The vehicle is a street rod with no can-bus so I'll have to improvise. lol

Thanks.

Yes, you can do it that way.

I've done it several times in the past but not recently. I used the EGR 5 volt circuit because my last truck still had AC but came with no EGR being a 2006 model. I think the pins were 55 and 41 on the computer but that's just off memory.

Youtube "EGR wideband through HP Tuners" and a few video's should come up if you like watching it. You can also look in the VCM scanner sections sticky threads for a write up on how to set it and a video by Ed Mowton at ERM Performance.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Yes, you can do it that way.

I've done it several times in the past but not recently. I used the EGR 5 volt circuit because my last truck still had AC but came with no EGR being a 2006 model. I think the pins were 55 and 41 on the computer but that's just off memory.

Youtube "EGR wideband through HP Tuners" and a few video's should come up if you like watching it. You can also look in the VCM scanner sections sticky threads for a write up on how to set it and a video by Ed Mowton at ERM Performance.
    Thanks a bunch. Where would you recommend me buy the MPVI2 from? I can get one from AMAZON for $290 is the best I've found. I figure I just buy the credits online from HP tuners?

Thanks in advance

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogman1969 View Post
    Thanks a bunch. Where would you recommend me buy the MPVI2 from? I can get one from AMAZON for $290 is the best I've found. I figure I just buy the credits online from HP tuners?

Thanks in advance
    We have MAP pricing ie the lowest you should see is what WE sell it at which is $299. If you see it cheaper there's an old phrase "if it seems to good to be true it probably is". Buy direct from us or an authorized reseller.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"